Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An odd question about recreationist subcultures

swankysister

New in Town
I've obviously spent too much time on the Internet today, because my brain is formulating odd questions.

Today in the year 2006, people on this forum and elsewhere consider themselves a 'vintage' community, reliving lifestyles and fashions from the 1920s to 1950s. There are also other groups around today who like to dress in medieval costume and have traditional meals, etc.

I was just wondering - back in the 1920s, '30s, '40s, whenever, did they look back to the previous 60 to 80 years (i.e., back to 1840s to 1880s) and take on that period's fashions and customs?

I'm vaguely aware of some sort of Grecian/mythological influence on fashions at the beginning of the 20th century, but I was just wondering if people back then did what we do today in adopting the past with nostalgia?
(And yes, I'm guessing that the Depression and other social forces probably didn't encourage such luxuries).

Bebop

Practically Family
I can't tell you first hand but I believe there has been people that thought past eras were better since civilization started. All humans need to do is get a few years away from an era and they forget the hardships and take for granted the huge steps science and technology have made. They will tell you how horrible 2006 is and how wonderful the 40's and 30's were while typing away on their computer. Alot of people will praise values of past eras while taking for granted that they would not be socially accepted if they were caught talking to someone of a different race much less dating them. Nostalgia is wonderful. It puts perfume on yesterdays dog poop. I love it.

D-Day-Doll

Familiar Face
In the Sears catalog book of 40's fashion there's a page with dresses inspired by the "gay 90's". So, it looks like the 40's looked back on the 1890's for inspiration.

Novella

Practically Family
I'm really glad you asked this question because I was just thinking about it the other day! Unfortunately I don't have an answer since I'm curious about the same thing. Hmm, maybe a google search will turn up something.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
You could always just mix your love of the vintage with any new type of look that strikes your fancy...nothing new there of course...
I think Bebop sums it up pretty well. As for me, I enjoy my "vintage" items at the same time that I am enjoying my (hopefully) greater 21st century life expectancy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails