Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An open letter to this forum....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Andykev said:
Did you say that is a salvaged ribbon just to stick on the hat? The ribbon looks terrible. I think a hat that thin is for indoor use only. No point in having a delicate, fine, thin, light hat body that you end up shellacking up with goop to make it stiff and hold it's shape.

Steve,
Sent the hat body out for people to see the felt... He put on a used ribbon and sweat band so the hat body would have some shape to it.

It is not a finished hat...People wanted to see a light weight hat body and at 75 grams it is.
I hope it can be sent to John, Besdor, Brad Bowers and others asap.

Art sent it back to CA. in Feb. I mailed it in Dec and only three people have seen the hat body...

Fedora

Vendor
Did you say that is a salvaged ribbon just to stick on the hat? The ribbon looks terrible. I think a hat that thin is for indoor use only. No point in having a delicate, fine, thin, light hat body that you end up shellacking up with goop to make it stiff and hold it's shape.

And that is the reason that I asked just to examine the felt if and when the hat got to you. The bow is bad, agreed, but so is the sweat. So, one more time, do not pay attention to the ribbon or sweat. I put those on just to turn the raw body into something resembling a hat. :eusa_doh:

I have a vintage Borsalino rollup that is the same weight as this one. I think the thin felt is good for a travel hat, as you can roll it up and stick it in the suitcase.

While this felt is thin, the term "delicate" does not apply to this pure felt. Very dense, very tough and durable, while sporting a touch only beaver felt can produce(or mercury felt). This one is supposed to have zero stiffener, and would make a better hat with the traditional .04 degrees of stiffener. As it is now, a falling feather or breeze would change the creases in the hat. I do not like that personally, but many do like it. Fedora

Fedora

Vendor
Art sent it back to CA. in Feb. I mailed it in Dec and only three people have seen the hat body...

True. It ended up in Matt's closet. And, a fitting place to keep good modern felt away from the eyes of other fans. ;) I feel a conspiracy here. You see something that might, I say might change views, and you hide the darn thing away. I think Matt had a hidden agenda. That, and he never wants to have to change his mind on ANYTHING. ;) It is not a weakness to acknowledge a learning curve. Those who think they know everything, annoy the hell out of us that do. :p Fedora

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Weight is 1 ounce...

Fedora said:
And that is the reason that I asked just to examine the felt if and when the hat got to you. The bow is bad, agreed, but so is the sweat. So, one more time, do not pay attention to the ribbon or sweat. I put those on just to turn the raw body into something resembling a hat. :eusa_doh:

I have a vintage Borsalino rollup that is the same weight as this one. I think the thin felt is good for a travel hat, as you can roll it up and stick it in the suitcase.

While this felt is thin, the term "delicate" does not apply to this pure felt. Very dense, very tough and durable, while sporting a touch only beaver felt can produce(or mercury felt). This one is supposed to have zero stiffener, and would make a better hat with the traditional .04 degrees of stiffener. As it is now, a falling feather or breeze would change the creases in the hat. I do not like that personally, but many do like it. Fedora

I would buy one of them as a travel fedora... When I had the felt a Humming bird flew by and his wind from his wings dented the hat...LOL...:D :) :D

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I've got a Disney Hatters fedora from the '50s whose felt is very lightweight. It's one of those felts that is great to look at, great to touch ... but I don't particularly like wearing it. There are suits like this, too: you love the fabric and the cut, but it's not to your taste when you try it on.

That said, everyone has different tastes. Recognizing this, our friend Fedora has asked for (and deserves to receive) feedback from various points of view. The hat "in Matt's closet" -- Fedora's hat, by the way -- is like a baton in a relay race: once passed to you, courtesy dictates that you pass it on to someone else. If you fail to pass the baton, then everyone loses. It's really a pity that this has happened.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Hogwash

Fedora said:
I feel a conspiracy here. You see something that might, I say might change views, and you hide the darn thing away. I think Matt had a hidden agenda. That, and he never wants to have to change his mind on ANYTHING. ;). :p Fedora

That is not his style. You obviouly don't know him very well.

Hidden agenda? Conspiracy? You have not thought this through. That theory has more holes than a sieve.

Matt's opinion is that vintage hats are the best. If this felt body is some kind of holy grail and everybody would buy them instead of vintage hats, there would be less people bidding on ebay for vintage hats....and Matt would be able to buy them cheaper. He would benefit from showing it to as many people as possible. Therefore, he has no reason to hide it.

If the felt body is nothing special it will have no impact on the market, therefore there is no reason to hide it.

If it is junk the same is true.

You might make a argument that he is either lazy, apathetic or procrastinating. It would be more plausible.

I am not defending Matt not sending it on. He should have...but to claim an agenda is not true or fair.

Actually the person with agenda appears to be you. It would have been a simple matter to call him and ask for the hat back. If you didn't have his contact information, many of us could have helped you.

This thread is to cause a public rukus for Matt.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
No conspiracy... I have trouble enough hiding my girlfriends from my girlfriends (I have no girlfriends)...

I'll take pics this weekend at Ft. Mac of your hat. It's smooth... I'll buy a tester later as I said... Just gotta wait a few days for pics okay?

Filthy

Suspended
MK said:
That is not his style. You obviouly don't know him very well.

Hidden agenda? Conspiracy? You have not thought this through. That theory has more holes than a sieve.

Matt's opinion is that vintage hats are the best. If this felt body is some kind of holy grail and everybody would buy them instead of vintage hats, there would be less people bidding on ebay for vintage hats....and Matt would be able to buy them cheaper. He would benefit from showing it to as many people as possible. Therefore, he has no reason to hide it.

If the felt body is nothing special it will have no impact on the market, therefore there is no reason to hide it.

If it is junk the same is true.

You might make a argument that he is either lazy, apathetic or procrastinating. It would be more plausible.

I am not defending Matt not sending it on. He should have...but to claim an agenda is not true or fair.

Actually the person with agenda appears to be you. It would have been a simple matter to call him and ask for the hat back. If you didn't have his contact information, many of us could have helped you.

MK,

"Apple sauce! Apple Sauce!"

This, dear readers, is leadership! Authority! Tough love! Wisdom and a firm hand! This is why this man wears the crown (be that a perfectly creased fedora!)

When tempers rise it is up to cooler, wiser smarter heads to prevail and that is what I just saw! It was a move that was, darest I say, Presidential! Bravo, good sir, bravo! Order is restored in your house and a fine house it 'tis!

I have a feeling I would follow this man through hell if he asked me. Who else here feels the same?

Fabulously yours!,

Robert!

WEEGEE

Practically Family
fine house it 'tis!

O.P. by Filthy Sanchez--I have a feeling I would follow this man through hell if he asked me. Who else here feels the same?

Well sure...but what shall we wear?

O.P. by Fedora--While this felt is thin, the term "delicate" does not apply to this pure felt. Very dense, very tough and durable, while sporting a touch only beaver felt can produce(or mercury felt). This one is supposed to have zero stiffener, and would make a better hat with the traditional .04 degrees of stiffener. As it is now, a falling feather or breeze would change the creases in the hat. I do not like that personally, but many do like it. Fedora

I have a 1930's Knox Stratoliner style thats a thin light weight felt...its durable and

holds its shape. The best part is how fast it drys after being in the rain.

Would like to see the felt...Fedora.

Regards,

WeeGee

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
SHARPETOYS said:
Steve,
Sent the hat body out for people to see the felt... He put on a used ribbon and sweat band so the hat body would have some shape to it.

It is not a finished hat...People wanted to see a light weight hat body and at 75 grams it is.
I hope it can be sent to John, Besdor, Brad Bowers and others asap.

I think I understood the original post also well enough to know fedora wanted reactions on the felt quality, not on how well a hat was made. I would like to see the felt, and perhaps play in the acquisition of some hoods. I also have $5.00 readily available for Matt's sample. Just let me know who to paypal. Finally, I am really surprised on how this thread started out. I have found in my short time here, the lounge to be a very civil place, but found this thread surprisingly off the beaten path. However, please reserve some forgiveness for me, because I have not had my shi??y post day yet. I am sure we all have them.

Duane

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Filthy Sanchez said:
MK,

"Apple sauce! Apple Sauce!"

This, dear readers, is leadership! Authority! Tough love! Wisdom and a firm hand! This is why this man wears the crown (be that a perfectly creased fedora!)

When tempers rise it is up to cooler, wiser smarter heads to prevail and that is what I just saw! It was a move that was, darest I say, Presidential! Bravo, good sir, bravo! Order is restored in your house and a fine house it 'tis!

I have a feeling I would follow this man through hell if he asked me. Who else here feels the same?

Fabulously yours!,

Robert!

Wow, you must be new in town? Reminds me of the Captain's personal yeoman back in my Navy days. lol

Filthy

Suspended
thefedorastore said:
Wow, you must be new in town? Reminds me of the Captain's personal yeoman back in my Navy days. lol

Aye aye, sir, to all the levelled charges! New and loud and proud! But i don't know what a yeoman is but if he's someone who respects the cpatain's right to wave an iron hand, yes! I always wanted to be in the Navy, i love the idea of the uniforms and the sea and the fellowship! You were in the Navy and now make the world's finest hats by hand - you're like a dream! I'm sure Matt agrees! He should buy a hat from you!

Fabulously yours!

Robert!

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
Fabulously yours! Robert!
:confused:

995BVH_David_O_Hara_001.jpg

Filthy

Suspended
No, but we'll find out together!

clevispin said:
Misterrr Rushhhhh!

m

Clevis,

I don't think that guy is the same guy that played Munroe but i may be wrong! It doesn't look like him in the eyes to me! I've asked Hefernan to identify him as well so we'll both find out!

Now, back on topic...nice job Fearless Leader MK again on this thread! Everyone seems to be pals again! You ROCmK!!!!

Fabulously yours!,

Robert!

Fedora

Vendor

Since he never responded, I was not gonna waste the dime for the phone call. I felt the only way to get the hat on the move was to make it public. Hated to do it, but sometimes you have to do things like this. I think you need more responsible mods, but this is your sandbox, so play as you will. That he never took time to evaluate the body and post it, says volumes to me, if not to you. I could have went the procrastination route, but having argued with him over the last two years, it just seemed to me, he may have had other motives. If I am wrong, I am sorry. Unlike Matt, I have no problem admitting to being wrong.

So yes, I did have an agenda. That agenda was to get that body on the move. There are actually people out there that really want to see this body. And have been waiting for quite some time. One guy has even tried to contact him many times, with no answer. He has ignored this person. What do you want me to think? What would you think? (besides the idea he is not courteous in replying to folks who email, or pm him)

I apologize for using the board to light a fire under his rump, but I was after results. This is the only way I felt(no pun intended) I could get it. Nuke this thread if you want. If the hat is not sent out, I will make sure everyone knows it. Fedora

PS. Mk, I have nothing but the highest respect for you. Always have. Hope there are no hard feelings between you and I.

Fedora

Vendor
Folks, one last post, and I will retire from this thread unless warranted. I sent this pure beaver body to Matt because of something he has said about pure beaver felt. I have witnesses for this, to back me up. Matt said, all the beaver felt he had seen was thick, and stiff and would crack. (his from another hatter had cracked) I was just trying to show him that he needed to examine more before he posted such a generalized opinion. I wanted to show him what a quality beaver felt looked like and felt like. I have never seen one like he mentioned, as I have never seen a bad beaver body. I would bet the hat he bought was NOT beaver. And, if he still has that body, he could send it to someone like John to get an opinion. I never liked him judging all beaver by his one example. Now that is a very invalid way to judge-anything. I always felt he had alot to learn. There are opinions, and there are well informed opinions that come from examining more then one SUPPOSED pure beaver body. I wanted to show him a real beaver body, and he seemed to be reticent in acknowledging it. Perhaps this is what he meant when he said he could not judge the felt unless he wore it for an extended period of time. I can assure you. This Portugal beaver will not crack. And I have never seen a pure beaver body that would. Fedora

Pilgrim

One Too Many
As an outsider, my opinion matches one of those above -this thread is out of character for this forum. Further, IMO the issue should have been handled offline. But it hasn't been, so there we are. I certainly do understand the frustration that can take place when communication fails, especially when one has something of value unaccounted for and a commitment is unfulfilled.

As long as the hat moves on its way, I think this thread is due to fall into disuse. The issue doesn't really need to be beaten around in public any longer. Matt has plenty of offers to look at the hat, and can easily arrange a transfer via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy