Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Rusty, those pics are absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing!! I think we can all agree that we know where your love of Thin Ribbons comes from. :)

RBH

Bartender
Thanks everyone.
Rusty, those pics are absolutely wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing!! I think we can all agree that we know where your love of Thin Ribbons comes from. :)

Thanks Josh... I never knew my grand dad wore a thin ribbon felt.
He wore the old farm straws with the thin ribbon, but the only felts he wore that I remembered were wide ones.
So this photo is priceless to me!

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
I tried to upload a picture of my great grandfather from 1930 but it wouldn't up load But he was 7ft 2, full blood Seminole Indian that wore a Lincoln top hat over his knee length hair. He lived to be a 107 and always wore that same hat he got when he got married. He was sight to behold, a man of great style and class :)

Now this is a picture I've gotta see.

GWD

One Too Many
This is my Great Grandfather on my Mother's side. Dated 1910.

web.jpg

He reminds me of a young Henry Fonda.

DudeInBlack

Familiar Face
I tried to upload a picture of my great grandfather from 1930 but it wouldn't up load But he was 7ft 2, full blood Seminole Indian that wore a Lincoln top hat over his knee length hair. He lived to be a 107 and always wore that same hat he got when he got married. He was sight to behold, a man of great style and class :)

THIS. We must bear witness to this photo!

Try uploading the pic to Imageshack, then linking to it in your post using the "forum url" option. If it's too big to upload, you can always size it down using image editing software like MS Paint.
If you haven any other difficulty or questions, I'm more than willing to help if it means getting this photo on the site.

@Lexybeast
I've got just one thing to say to you for that new avatar pic of yours...
"Have a Jelly-Baby" :D

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Here's a pic of my mother's father and mother at her younger sisters graduation back in 1946. The C Crowned Panama he has in his hands is one my mother bought for him at Rogers-Peet in NYC back in 1944. I still have this hat, though it is very brittle, has some cracks in it and is merely a family keepsake now. I remember him wearing it when I was little back in the early '50s though :)
MarjorieIEvans021.jpg

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Here's a pic of my mother's father and mother at her younger sisters graduation back in 1946. The C Crowned Panama he has in his hands is one my mother bought for him at Rogers-Peet in NYC back in 1944. I still have this hat, though it is very brittle, has some cracks in it and is merely a family keepsake now. I remember him wearing it when I was little back in the early '50s though :)
MarjorieIEvans021.jpg

Very nice photo and memory.

I resemble my paternal grandfather, who had a Panama very much like one I wear. I certainly wish I had his in my possession, too. I used to have a photo of him in that hat, but cannot locate the picture at present.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Here's a pic of my mother's father and mother at her younger sisters graduation back in 1946. The C Crowned Panama he has in his hands is one my mother bought for him at Rogers-Peet in NYC back in 1944. I still have this hat, though it is very brittle, has some cracks in it and is merely a family keepsake now.

Nice photo and story.

And it's refreshing to see a gentleman remove his hat for a photo.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Nice photo and story.

And it's refreshing to see a gentleman remove his hat for a photo.

My father who was a photographer back in the 40s/50s told me why that was done. It kept a shadow from falling across the upper part of the face when taking a head on photo :) He usually asked men to remove their hats when he took a pic.

My father who was a photographer back in the 40s/50s told me why that was done. It kept a shadow from falling across the upper part of the face when taking a head on photo :) He usually asked men to remove their hats when he took a pic.

That is why GWD's great grandfather has his hat kicked back. He probably wore it more forward. You see this a lot in Civil War & Old West photos as well.

jwalls

Vendor
Family%252520John5.jpg

Granddad, Carrol county, Georgia, about 1959 OR 1960. "If your out doors wear a hat!" I heard this so much I guess it stuck!!

Terry292

New in Town
My Father

My Dad, circa 1946, just after he got out of the Navy, just before he and Mom got married. In all the photos I have of him with a hat, he's wearing it on the back of his head. I don't know what type of hat this is. None of his hats came down in the family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran