Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestry of a slob

Lear

One of the Regulars
Cross-posted (edited) to Style Forum

My grandfather (side of my mother) is the one in the middle (first 2 shots), carrying a briefcase and wearing the spectator shoes. He was short even by the standards of those days. Didn't get married until he was close to fifty! Luckily, my father was very tall.

The third shot shows him front, forth from right.

The briefcase is now in my possession. It's a fab piece of leather.

The last two pics are of the very same briefcase. New handles and straps, plus lots of love and conditioner.

out0274.png

out0276.png

out0275.png

dscf0091.jpg

dscf0094.jpg

Lear

One of the Regulars
Further back in time

Cross-posted (edited) to Style Forum

I've been able to go a generation further back from the ones shown above. These are my great grandparents (side of my mother). Not sure of the exact date that it was taken.

It's a scanned, faint copy of the original. I'm afraid I don't know how to sharpen it on the computer.

Just thought the clothing from another age might be of interest.

out0278.png

Lear

One of the Regulars
Thanks a million Socaspi. I have no idea how you do that, but what a difference. Great stuff :eusa_clap

Lear

One of the Regulars
Cross-posted: Style Forum

Another photograph from years gone by

My grandfather is the short guy, far left. Funny thing, he had 2 brothers who were both over six foot, which for those days was tall. What he lacked in height, he made up for with a fearsome reputation.

A bit dark, I know. I'm just hopeless with the computer. Wouldn't know how to get the black shoes showing clearly.

Lear

cp.png

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Since we're editing photos that don't belong to us.... :)

Here is a quick and dirty level job. The shoes only come out if you blow all the shadows and dark areas completely away. More time could probably make it better, but for now here's an image somewhat improved.

cp_touched-2.png

Not a bad pic. They guy in the light DB needs to button up, but it's a nice looking group.

Mark

Lear

One of the Regulars
Ugarte said:
Since we're editing photos that don't belong to us.... :)

Here is a quick and dirty level job. The shoes only come out if you blow all the shadows and dark areas completely away. More time could probably make it better, but for now here's an image somewhat improved.

Not a bad pic. They guy in the light DB needs to button up, but it's a nice looking group.

Mark

Ugarte, thanks for the photo edit.

Although not the best example, it's sad to think that we'll never see an age when everyone dressed up for social events.

I've read up on Gimp. Will now be able to fix any new photographs that I discover.

Lear

Lear

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
That age will someday return...:cool:

But this age will not:

Spent the afternoon talking with my aunt. She's slowly releasing various photographs.

This pic is of the brother of my maternal great-grandfather. Hope that makes sense.

Thought that the suit and mustache might be of interest.

charlie.png

Lear

One of the Regulars
I must mention the older brother of my maternal grandfather.

In this first pic, he is still at Lincoln College, Oxford. He hadn't seen his mother (in Jamaica) for some years. From there he went straight to Gray's Inn (studying law) in 1912. His mother must have cut the picture out of a much wider photograph.

daniel_2.png

This second pic, must be from when the Great War broke out. He immediately signed up. Was killed in France on 24th May, 1915, after receiving his commission in the 4th Staffordshire Regiment. Recommended for the Military Cross.

daniel_1.png
daniel_1.png

He was only 25 when he died. The sad part is that his mother never got to see him. She never saw her son the barrister, or soldier.

Many of my ancestors have been taken by war. It goes back a very long way. I don't like violence.

Regarding style and fashion: the pose and look in the first photograph is timeless. Could be as relevant today as it was in 1910.

Lear

Lear

One of the Regulars
Moderator - Would it be possible to move this entire thread to the Display Case? My mistake for posting here.

This is the brother of my maternal grandmother. Picture taken in Jamaica. I can't provide a date.

After suffering shell shock in WW1, he'd stroll down the Strand, London, believing he was the Prince of Wales. Lived until the age of 90.

sr.png

Lear

Lear

One of the Regulars
Cross-posted to Style Forum

Mods: I realize that this entire thread belongs in Display Case -> Vintage Family Photos. Could you move it to there please?

This photograph taken on May 27, 1947. Both of my grandfathers are shown here:

My paternal grandfather is standing center, middle row, with full head of white hair.

My maternal grandfather is seated directly in front of him, wearing glasses, hands on lap. I'd always been told that he was unique in his choice of spectators/spats. However, this photo shows the man to the right wearing something similar.

It's a large photograph, containing more detail than shown in this poor scan.

Lear (the ugly one)

2_colour.png

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Nice!

Great photos, thanks for posting.

I can't wait until the day when people dress up again to go to the store, go to parties, to travel, to go to the movies.

I hate it when I'm in the produce section of the market, and the fat un-showered guy in the wife beater t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops is touching all the vegetables. Yuck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic