ANJ4, the dream. Lost Worlds vs Eastman

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by deeds, Nov 3, 2020.

1. deeds

deeds New in Town

Hey all,
    So I'm finally in a position to get myself one of these but the question is, which of the two?
    The only differentiator was that it seemed Eastman were making these with two buttons at the bottom (ease of sitting down with the jacket still zipped up) but i don't think they are doing this any more.

Can anyone who actually has experience with these two makers ANJ4s chime in and help me decide?

Just like the answers we had to give in school: "please show your working/WHY?" ;)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  2. s4rmark

s4rmark One of the Regulars

Eastman produce the Poughkeepsie ANJ-4 , which has the double button at the bottom of the zip.

3. Monitor

Monitor

Eastman.

4. deeds

deeds New in Town

Right? I didn't see it on the Eastman website.

5. deeds

deeds New in Town

Ill amend the question but ill put the amendment here too :

Just like the answers we had to give in school: "please show your working/WHY?" ;)

6. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

714F781D-0615-4260-B979-1D713B739E3C.jpeg D81CFCAE-9FED-4FE2-96F7-821170E35D64.jpeg
    22BC9ECF-6B47-4DAB-97D2-E0469F48D091.jpeg
    The LW is an absolute piece of art. It is also pretty impractical. I run cold and could only wear 25f and below down to about -5f. Great jacket for being outside in the cold on a walk. Useless in the car because you need the windows down and the Ac cranked so your passenger freezes. Also Lw incredibly stiff. Years to break in. Powersci has a lovely aero which is waaay more user friendly. My $.02 is b6/d1 and layer underneath. Much more practical

7. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I had an Aero one. It's an absolutely fantastic jacket, I would say more than a match to the ELC and LW, but it was just too heavy for where I live and traded it in for a D1. Unless you live in an area where you get serious snow/freezing conditions for prolonged periods, you may find it just doesn't get the wear it deserves. I barely got close to breaking mine in before I traded it back in. If you're a really big fan of the style, you might want to consider Aero's version of the jacket with a shorter shearling, but I'd also consider an Irvin or D1. I have both and get loads wear out of both.

davyjones007 and sweetfights like this.
  8. mihai

mihai A-List Customer

I have both and the differences are:
    - LW is better built overall, sheepskin is thicker(hide) more substantial, goatskin/hh trims texture is like the period ones and they are thicker. The jacket has the wow factor like the posted pics show. Impressive with the huge collar up. Fit is a bit more flattering - more pronnounced v shape in the body. Downside is the jacket is heavier.
    - Eastman one is lighther, has a tad thinner hides/sheepskin. This makes it more flexible/lighter, more suitable for daily use.
    - I cannot comment on the pattern historical accuracy.

davyjones007 likes this.
  9. Marc mndt

Marc mndt One Too Many

I know you had a very disappointing experience with Lost Worlds and if I were you, I would feel exactly the same. To be honest, I wouldn't buy anything from the guy no matter how good his jackets may or may not be. But let's not call people names.

10. red devil

red devil Call Me a Cab

This makes me want one, even if I would only use it a few weeks a year max (travelling somewhere really cold) :)

Edit: makes me want the LW specifically :D

11. Monitor

Monitor

You're right. No place for that here. I've removed my post. Sorry.

Will Zach, dannyk and Marc mndt like this.
  12. Peter Mackin

Peter Mackin Practically Family

image.jpg Eastman with snaps instead of buttons,,can use them with frozen fingers,can also wear this jacket with either a sweater or a tee shirt,making it extremely versatile ..love it. image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    davyjones007, bn1966, Bfd70 and 2 others like this.
  13. Edward

Edward Bartender

How did you find it compared to the Irvin? I've got an Irvin (ELC) and a B3 (LW), both of which I have worn extensively in London Winters. Is the ANJ4 that much warmer? I'd be very tempted by one in a Redskin shearling - historically incorrect, I know, but it would look seriously cool...

14. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

It's a *lot* heavier than the Irvin. You put it on and you immediately feel the weight of the fleece and it warms up very quickly, it's also bulkier than the Irvin, which is more adjustable depending on the weather. If you were going for an ANJ, I'd as for it in the D-1 redskin. You'll get the look but have a jacket that you'll get far more wear from.

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  15. deeds

deeds New in Town

Seriously, i kep coming back and looking at these pictures. The jacket! Im just put off by the fact that i cant try them anywhere and knowing my body, the usual sizes don't work for me. I guess if i could convince LW to do a little fitting to the jacket, then id feel ok about it and go ahead.

16. John Lever

John Lever One Too Many

Go for Aero, they do both long and short zip versions and can do sheepskin cuffs. They are significantly softer and easier to wear and cheaper. Some others are beautifully made but very uncomfortable to wear.
    Top choice would be McCoys if you can find one but they are hard to find now.

17. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

I got silly lucky. The original owner had it on ebay and lived 20 minutes from me. Got to try it on first.

18. Frmichalsk

Frmichalsk New in Town

What size are you looking for ?
    I’m about to resell my aero long zip
    Size 46
    Brand new
    Worn it 2 times
    Great deal

deeds and John Lever like this.
  19. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

Here’s my Lost Worlds, I can’t believe I let this one go.

upload_2020-11-10_23-32-55.jpeg

davyjones007 likes this.
  20. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

I feel ya. I sold mine to fund another purchase. If $ and closet space were not an issue I’d keep it forever. Piece of art.

dubpynchon likes this.