Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another '40's motorcycle jacket...

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Seeing the Baron's recent purchase reminded me I said I'd post photos of this jacket when I had a chance...
Won on Ebay last October, I forget the price now but I think even with shipping to the UK it was well under £80.

cycle_jacket001.jpg

cycle_jacket010.jpg

Detail of the bi-fold back and waist buckle
cycle_jacket2004.jpg

Cuff detail
cycle_jacket014.jpg

Mike1973

A-List Customer
And the Talon zip, very G-1 like! And as far as I can tell original to the jacket.
cycle_jacket021.jpg

And the breast pocket. Zip puller has U.S.A. on the back. The 1949 dime fell out of the liner...
cycle_jacket015.jpg

Main pocket detail. Button looks to be original.
cycle_jacket018.jpg

Back detail, scallop is very subtle.
cycle_jacket2005.jpg

Mike1973

A-List Customer
And the fit isn't bad, but it's not perfect... (Sorry about the photo, all I've got to hand)

47899f3f.jpg

Ok in the Chest and arms, but the back is really short, resting on the top of my old style LEVI's. I'm guessing if I was a couple of inches shorter it would be perfect :eusa_doh:

But overall a really well made jacket, and the leather is in great condition. I'm not sure what it is, goat maybe?

Lovely Jacket, Mike! I think i recall the auction. I certainly remember the waist pockets.

Mike1973 said:
47899f3f.jpg

I'm guessing if I was a couple of inches shorter it would be perfect :eusa_doh:

If i hadn't recently found the one, i might be saying: I'm a few inches shorter than you, wink wink. ;) As it is, my moto jacket cache is overgrown. Look out for more threads soon!!

bk

Edward

Bartender
Grand jacket - looks like it could almost have been the original that the Aero 30s half-belt was based on.... Really sharp.

Jacket Man

New in Town
I hate to say this, but you are officially the winner of the "Best Vintage Motorcycle Leather Jacket Finder - Under 50 - First Half of 21st Century." It looks great.

bdb71

New in Town
That jacket looks great!! its probably short in the back because its cut to accomodate a kidney belt, one I had was that way and it does feel a little strange. my current one is longer in the back but the lower panel resembles a kidney belt and feels like a standard jacket

Now all you need to do is roll a BSA Goldie outta the back of that vdub and hit the road

cafebmw

New in Town
california sportwear

that is for sure a very nice jacket made by california sportwear company, los angeles, california. most likely it had originally the 'green mountain' label. so it's from the late 40's, early 50's. see also rin tanaka 'motorcycle jacket'. i have 2 jackets by that company, both in goat. i'll post pictures as soon as i can.

taggers

New in Town
Yeah, I'd go for the kidney-belt explanation too.

A couple of years ago I found a little shop- more of a barn really- off Clingancourt in Paris. It was jammed with very similar jackets to that, although they generally had buttons, so I guess they were earlier.

I didn't buy one because, in reality they were too far gone, cracked and torn, not wearable, but they had been gorgeous in their day. As far as I could tell, the chap called them "riding jackets".

Anyway. They were all bum-freezers, VERY high at the back.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Hi, Taggers: That is a sweetheart jacket. Good score.

I'll go with the other votes for goat. I remember this jacket when it was up for bids on ebay. I'm glad someone got it who appreciates it and wears it well.

cafebmw

New in Town
it's a sport jacket

btw, it wasn't marketed as a motorcycle jacket, but as a sport jacket. i use mine for motorcycling too, but only in the city. it just doesn't give enough protection, low back, leather not very thick, and all...

STW

Familiar Face
bdb71 said:
That jacket looks great!! its probably short in the back because its cut to accomodate a kidney belt, one I had was that way and it does feel a little strange. my current one is longer in the back but the lower panel resembles a kidney belt and feels like a standard jacket

Now all you need to do is roll a BSA Goldie outta the back of that vdub and hit the road
Tell us more about what a kidney belt is, please. I'm familiar with the kidney panel on some moto jackets, but it souds like you're talking about a separate belt. Thanks.

By the way to the OP, great jacket and VW.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Super sweet deal. Now you can live happily ever after :D

A kidneybelt is a wide belt that is made to support your inner organs during motorcycle riding. It fits snug and you can feel the support as soon as you put it on. Usually one gets some pain in the lower back and "in the kidneys" after a long ride. With the kidneybelt you dont get the same amount of pain (however there is always a small degree of "wear" on the back lol
Nowdays there are more sophisticated belts then just thick leather. They have elastics and velcro and stuff to give better comfort and you dont get as squeezed as with the old styles.

My dad used to have a factory where he made clothes in the 70´s. He did both cloth and leather and had about 30 women sewing things togehter.
In our home he had a small workshop and he made many things of lether, usually from really thick "saddle leather".

He made wallets, leather pants, hats, vests, jackets, belts, and also sidebags for his homebuilt chopper. We used to take a ride on it and then we always wore kidneybelts that he made for me. A shame I dont have them still to show you. Small and wide belts made for a 6 year old would be kinda cute.

Thinking about it, its a shame i dont have anything at all from that period. I got a snakeskinbelt and thats it. Dad had some vests still and some 5-pocket leather pants and some suede jackets but he does have some of the plans/maps still.

Edward

Bartender
GriffDeLaGriff said:
Thinking about it, its a shame i dont have anything at all from that period. I got a snakeskinbelt and thats it. Dad had some vests still and some 5-pocket leather pants and some suede jackets but he does have some of the plans/maps still.

You ever tempted to get into making stuff of your own the way some of the guys on the Lounge have?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner