Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Akubra Federation too big

fatwoul

Practically Family
If you order a Federation your normal size, chances are it will at least initially - and for some people, always - be too big. But for some of us, the added bonus of this is that when the hat finally shrinks down to fit, there may be reverse taper on the crown, which I like.

I am wondering what the most sizes you can shrink a federation by might be. My 58 has shrunk down to fit my head with no problem at all, but I am wondering if anyone out there with my size head (58.4) has tried a 59 instead, and managed to get it to shrink down to fit them. Did this leave a nice big meaty crown on a shrunken sweatband, with lots of lovely reverse taper?

fatwoul

Practically Family
apipeguy said:
taper? reverse taper? help!

OK, look at yourself in a mirror, wearing a hat - some kind of fedora. Look at the sides of the crown. Does the hat gradually get narrower as it goes from your head up to the top of the crown? That's taper. Does the crown remain the same width all the way up? That's untapered. Or does the crown actually get a little wider as you get near the top? That's reverse taper.

See my avatar? the sides of my hat look reasonably straight and parallel, right? That's untapered.

If I had time I draw some little diagrams, but if nobody else has beat me to it by the time I get back, I will do so.

Hope that helps. :)

fishmeok

Vendor
I've got a 58.5 noggin and I just ordered a Fed regular- based on Deb at Hatsdirect's recommendation I'm going to get a 59- I'll post pics in a week...
Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart