Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another boring thread on how to order an Aero A-2

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
I have been out of the jackets "business" for a while (about ten years) after having collected a decent collection of high end jackets, four of which are Aero (a 30´s half belt bought in 2005 for 250 quid, an highly customized highwman in pull oil HH, a D-1 and finally an Happy Days made with the heaviest HH they had at the time, it weights almost 4.5 kg), right now however at age 42 I have issues walking for kilometers with these heavy jackets, so I am toying with the idea of ordering another much more lightweight A-2. I used to have a 1756 but I had to sell it because of the short sleeves.

I have seen the company has changed in the last ten years (prices too) and I changed a bit as well, now I work out and I gained some weight on the chest and shoulders, however I still prefer snug fit jackets (the ones I described are all 38") with a little more mobility on the upper torso...so right now I am considering two contracts : the 38-1711 and the 40-3785. I am looking for a dark seal jacket with the iconic rust cuffs even if I understand they might be historically accurate for these early contract.

I would like to hear some opinions on the details of these jackets as from their website it´s difficult to appreciate them and their staff is very busy. I also see they started to use different hides I was not familiar with like the Mustang one and few of them sourced from Vicenza tanneries (there is a huge district around Arzignano, I live not far away from there), so what would be the best choice for a lightweight jacket that breaks in easily? I am still trying to break it my Happy days...

My brother got an A-2 in a Jerky Horsehide and it was while I am not a fan of the style, it was the most beautiful leather I've seen any A-2 ever being made, sans Eastman. So yeah, Jerky HH would literally be the only option for me for an A-2.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To be honest, I think weight and stiffness of the leather is only the lesser of the reason why walking long distances in them is tiresome. I get very tired in Aero’s HB patterns and (modern day) Schott, and certain LW models, but my Bates T2, Langlitz are of no issue, the reason is the latter two have better ergonomics at the sleeve attachment/armhole areas, as well as chest, so it does not restrict breathing (as simple as breathing), moving around and walking quickly leads to intensified breathing, so traditional patterns are just not for such “athletic” occasions (same effect goes to navy peacoat, can’t breath while it “fits” perfectly when posing).

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Comment on the OP’s need to accommodate the newly gained shoukders, Aero A2 probably won’t work. This is not about “Aero Scotland”, this is about Aero Beacon (Original WW2 patterns), they are known to have less accommodating u upper back, but, has really amazing chest room, it’s like you’d have to always stand attention, chest out, arms to the sides, in an Aero A2. I work out and I cannot stretch forward. In a hit and miss way, Eastman’s Roughwear 1401 at the same tag size, is very accommodating for forward reach while no room for chest “puffing”. For a good balance, I recommend Aero Scotland’s “Unknown Maker” A2. It’s very comfortable at your real size or one size up.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
To be honest, I think weight and stiffness of the leather is only the lesser of the reason why walking long distances in them is tiresome. I get very tired in Aero’s HB patterns and (modern day) Schott, and certain LW models, but my Bates T2, Langlitz are of no issue, the reason is the latter two have better ergonomics at the sleeve attachment/armhole areas, as well as chest, so it does not restrict breathing (as simple as breathing), moving around and walking quickly leads to intensified breathing, so traditional patterns are just not for such “athletic” occasions (same effect goes to navy peacoat, can’t breath while it “fits” perfectly when posing).

Fair point. I personally never wear leather on any long walk or activity. It's just not a practical material for action wear.

Vezio

One of the Regulars
I'm from Italy too: Napoli.
Very sorry for what happened yesterday night in my city.
I own a Premier Half Belt in Black Chromexcel Horsehide, a B6 in sheepskin and an A2 Bronco in Seal Jerky Horsehide.
I think this leather is perfect for A2 jackets: very soft, no need for breaking in, nice color and finish, beautiful grain.
I received a Vicenza Leather sample from Aeroleather, but I didn't like it: it seemed too artificial, but it was a very little piece of leather.
Bronco contract is an enough slim fit jacket: for reference I'm 172 cm., 68 Kg., and my A2 is a size 38, back length 24", sleeves 25.5". Hope this helps you.
IMG_20201011_200300.jpg
IMG_20201011_163307.jpg
IMG_20201011_175337.jpg
IMG_20201011_175832.jpg

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
This I deed helps Vezio, i am a little taller and heavier than you but this is the kind of fit I am looking for. Is that hide smooth or grained?

In my life I always wore leather jackets so for me they are the standard casual choice. I agree that A-2s simple construction make them less suitable for "action" than to say a M422 (that I have, Bill Kelsi) or a School 641XX, but for warm weather my BK A-2 is good enough, even if being a 36" fits me just with a T shirt.

These are my current Aeros btw, sorry for the poor picture.
IMG_20201021_125632.jpg

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If you opt for Vicenza, specify a lighter batch. It can be heavy for an A-2 depending on batch. I'd ask Ken or Holly if they have any lightweight horse.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
Which color and hide is this one?

1379761764-1366446810.jpg

1379761786-3456062880.jpg

This is the kind of color my 1756 had...to my eyes this is not really brown but a very dark olive drab.

breezer

Practically Family
I had my Aero A2 made with soft Italian HH.......possibly the lightest hide they use? Its comfortable and is broken in straight out of the box.

Markoman

New in Town
I have been out of the jackets "business" for a while (about ten years) after having collected a decent collection of high end jackets, four of which are Aero (a 30´s half belt bought in 2005 for 250 quid, an highly customized highwman in pull oil HH, a D-1 and finally an Happy Days made with the heaviest HH they had at the time, it weights almost 4.5 kg), right now however at age 42 I have issues walking for kilometers with these heavy jackets, so I am toying with the idea of ordering another much more lightweight A-2. I used to have a 1756 but I had to sell it because of the short sleeves.

I have seen the company has changed in the last ten years (prices too) and I changed a bit as well, now I work out and I gained some weight on the chest and shoulders, however I still prefer snug fit jackets (the ones I described are all 38") with a little more mobility on the upper torso...so right now I am considering two contracts : the 38-1711 and the 40-3785. I am looking for a dark seal jacket with the iconic rust cuffs even if I understand they might be historically accurate for these early contract.

I would like to hear some opinions on the details of these jackets as from their website it´s difficult to appreciate them and their staff is very busy. I also see they started to use different hides I was not familiar with like the Mustang one and few of them sourced from Vicenza tanneries (there is a huge district around Arzignano, I live not far away from there), so what would be the best choice for a lightweight jacket that breaks in easily? I am still trying to break it my Happy days...
I have an Eastman Flying type A-2 in Seal Brown HH. It is a thinner leather than the
Aero version. It is more like a leather windbreaker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB