Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another introduction

Blaster

New in Town
Greetings. I generally don't like to reveal too much about myself. I'll just say that I am a USN veteran with a few college degrees; I ride a Harley and drive a '87 Buick GN; and I'm married with children.

I've been looking for a motorcycle jacket. However, all the "motorcycle" jackets I see do not fit my tastes; i.e., they have a bunch of pocket zippers, belts, etc. The main zipper sometimes doesn't go up the middle, but rather on the side, or up and an angle. And many of them have no collar. The jacket I wanted zips up the middle, only has side entry pockets, and a collar. No other "glam".

Then I found out that the person who has the closest jacket to what I want is The Fonz. So I did a little research and found out that he wears a "modified A-2". So I starting looking around at the A-2s. I first found out who makes them - Cooper. But they went under. Now it's Cockpit. I found the sites US Wings and CockpitUSA, and a couple others. OK, cool. These jackets will do. I can live with those patch pockets in the front, just as long as it has the side entry pockets, too.

One thing that kept coming up in my searches was The Fedora Lounge. I learned a lot from reading your posts. I also learned that Aero makes a "Happy Days" jacket - just what I've been looking for. And I also learned that "Langlitz" (sorry if the spelling is off) also makes one. One guy said he bought an Aero "Happy Days" and sent it back and got a "Langlitz" instead. So I looked around, but was unable to find what Langlitz had to offer.

I really like this jacket (It's an Aero):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aero-Leather-HA...mQQptZUS_CSA_MC_Outerwear?hash=item5ad4b4f924

Anyway, nice to meet you all. Glad to be here.

RLM

Familiar Face
Howdy Blaster. Glad to "meet" you. Don't know anything about Langlitz, but have been impressed enough with what I've heard and seen of Aero to order an Aero for myself. The "Happy Days" jacket is a nice looking jacket with A-2 style and more convenient hand warmer pockets.

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge, Blaster. Our tastes in motorcycle jackets are similar, as are our tastes in motorcycles. The good thing about the conventional motorcycle jacket is the belt at the bottom of the jacket. If cinched tight, the belt (theoretically) will keep the jacket from riding up in the event of a go down with a legs first slide. Even with that in mind, I still prefer the type of jacket you describe.

I am not a fan of the A-2 jacket as a motorcycle jacket, but prefer the Highwayman type. Aero makes an excellent Highwayman, but you probably need to tell them to build it a little looser so you have enough room for movement while on the motor. They build storm cuffs inside the sleeves, rather than the A-2 outside cuffs.

Vanson, Langlitz, Schott and Fox Creek make a Highwayman style as well. I ordered a Vanson last month, and the wait time is 2 to 4 months so I can't give a review. Evidently I wasn't very successful in navigating the Langlitz website, as I only saw two, I believe, available models. They weren't what I was looking for so I moved on. I have since learned there are other models hidden away somewhere. Fox Creek recommends going one size larger for a looser fit, as does Schott. I had to go two sizes up in both, and the size is about right. I wear a 42 and went up to a 46.

Hoosier Daddy knows a lot about motorcycle jackets, and hopefully he will chime in and give some other ideas. He also is a Harley rider.

For a picture of me on my Harley go to this link and scroll down almost to the bottom:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=28464&page=5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic