Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Naptha Source

Kilroy

New in Town
I started buying naptha from one of the local oil distributors some years ago. I used it for mainly for cleaning
electric motors & metal parts. Back then, you would pay for it, and then go pump it into your own container. I don't
remember what I paid for it then, but, I think it was about the same as gasoline. Today, after at least a ten
year hiatus, I went by to buy some and found out they now call it 'mineral spirits.' And now they sell it in a pre-packaged
five gallon container for $25.00. No more pumping. The plastic bucket it comes in is probably worth 5 bucks,
so the price is really around $4/gal. Sure beats what the home centers charge.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Mineral Spirits???

I was under the impression that naptha was something very different from mineral spirits. Maybe it's a geographical language differential?
Now I'm confused. I thought naptha was the stuff in lighter fluid that gave it it's characteristic smell. Around these parts,the stuff we call mineral spirits has always had a different smell,...more of an oily smell is the best description I can make.
So what's what?? [huh]

Fedora

Vendor
Not the same chemical. From the internet.

tip of the day! instead of tip of the boot!
taxidermist and fur tanners, always use naptha instead of mineral spirits. naptha will cut the grease as well or better, and has an additive that shines the fur like crazy. It also helps preserve the leather for decades. Conversely Mineral spirits will over dry and make the hairs/furs look like dullsville!
ej

Plus, in my local hardware store, they have Crown brand Naptha and Crown brand Mineral Spirits. I therefore surmise they are different. Fedora

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Fedora said:
Not the same chemical. From the internet.

Plus, in my local hardware store, they have Crown brand Naptha and Crown brand Mineral Spirits. I therefore surmise they are different. Fedora

Naptha is pretty amazing stuff. Can be used even on fine furs!
I just bought 2 quarts today to dunk an old grungy hat in tomorrow. I can't wait to see the results.

Kilroy

New in Town
Thanks for the correction. I'll splurge for some real naptha and try it again. Will report back with the results.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Naptha ok for leather?

My local Home Depot took the naptha off their shelves because it can be used to make illicit drugs. It can be purchased by asking for it behind the counter.

By the way, does it hurt anything to dunk the whole hat in naptha to clean it? I don't have the wherewithal to remove and replace the sweat and ribbon.

jeboat:) :) :)

Kilroy

New in Town
Years ago when I first bought naphtha from this distributor, I would ask for naphtha. They would write naphtha on
the invoice. I would pay for it, and then go to a large tank labeled Naphtha and pump it into my container. Such was
the simple life.

When I bought the mineral spirits, the attendant asked me what I wanted. I said naphtha. He said, ''Now it's called
mineral spirits.'' So, being ignorant on the subject, I bought a five gallon pail of it. Now, he claims he didn't say that.
He says he said, ''We have mineral spirits.'' So it's one of those deals.

Anyway, I bought two gallons of naphtha at the home center 2 days ago. Comparing my old naphtha, the mineral
spirits, and the new naphtha by smell, I couldn't tell the difference. They all had an oily smell to me.

I had already cleaned five hats with the old naphtha. They all came out fine. I cleaned two hats with the new naphtha.
Same results. I'm sticking with naphtha.

Jeboat, the naphtha won't hurt the sweat or the ribbon. It may leave a light greenish residue on the sweat but, a
leather wipe cloth or leather lotion will take it off. I would take the liner out. I left the liner in the first hat I cleaned,
and it fogged the plastic sheet in it. I've taken Duane's advice since then, and washed the liners in a Woolite solution.
When dry, I use a dry iron on the warmest Wash n Wear setting to press the sides of the liner.

Maj. Nick and Fedora, thank you for saving me some grief.

*Disclaimer - I use a dry iron on the warmest Wash n Wear setting to press the sides of the liner. - That is an approximate
setting. If you don't know how to iron clothes, don't try to learn on a hat liner. Get someone who can iron to do it for you, or
do as Duane recommends and steam the wrinkles out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart