Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another newbie with question!

matei

One Too Many
Hello all!

First let me say that I cannot believe that I stumbled upon this excellent site - it is a dream come true! There is a wealth of knowledge here and I am happy to know that there are other people that share some of the same interests that I have. It is a wonderful feeling to know that "you're not alone" ;)

I am in search of my first real fedora, however where I live (near Dublin), choices are slim to none. We have a few shops where you can find hats, but they are really stiff, cheap fedoras - no lining, really naff looking as well.

I'll be in London next month (we're actually moving there in the next few months), and I was hoping that someone could steer me in the direction of some reputable shops where I could find a fedora.

Cheers!

Matei

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The well known shops in London are Lock hatters and Herbert johnson.

You can click on the Herbert Johnson URL to find out more.

Lock's site is down so here is the address.

James Lock & Co. Ltd.
6 St. James's Street
London
SW1A 1EF
Telephone: 0207 930 8874
Fax: 0207 930 6616
sales@lockhatters.co.uk

I suggest Lock over Herbert johnson for service. Though if you are going to pay as much as they ask for in regards to a custom hat I suggest Optimo hats in Chicago. Optimo's felt and quality of make is much much better than any hat made in the UK. If you know your size and know what you want Optimo's heavyweight hats are tough and look pretty darn vintage.

If you are looking for a good starter hat to get yourself into the swing of things I suggest an Akubra squatter http://www.davidmorgan.com/proddetail.html?product_number=1610&ticket=995941-7279066&sequence=5128

They are low enough cost so you can wear it as a beater hat and they are pretty durable... I have worn a few holes in my Akubras as well as my Brit hats and cosider them to be on par for felt durability, they tend to slouch over time.

Best all around would be to get a vintage hat if you can find one your size and in a style you like. Most hats before the 60's are aces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner