Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another reason why wearing a Fedora RULES!

Magus

Practically Family
Well its hot here in So Cal and when it gets this way I go to wearing shorts. I was out to lunch today at a Uno Chicago Style Pizza restaurant/bar and was casually dressed, Black Dickies shorts, blue polo shirt, black tennis shoes with mid length white socks. I list that to indicate that I was in no way dressed to impress. I had on my 40’s beater Lee Fedora, rich brown in color. With the “Chicago Bar theme” of the place I didn’t bother taking it off. (Plus my hair was fairly mussed and the hat was covering that error) ;)

Near the end of the meal with my friend the waitress came up and indicated a table of four late 20’s to early 30’s ladies, all very attractive, professionally dressed and obviously on their lunch break. She said that the ladies wanted me to know that I was very cute and looked like a young Howard Hughes in my hat. I tipped the brim to them, they waved smiled and giggled (coquettishly) and they made their exit.

As they did I marveled once again at the average ball cap wearing yahoo who just doesn’t have a clue of the POWER of a decent hat. Then again….four ladies….all attractive….hmmmm…maybe we DON’T want them to realize how wearing a Fedora RULES!

Please...Share your adventures and thoughts.
M

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
I read ya

Magus,

Similar thing happened to me the other day when I went out to check my mail. It was hot & sunny and I topped off with my gray beater fedora. On my way to the mailbox, a lady neighbor walked by and I tipped my hat. She had the same reaction as your pizza patrons. I love it! Ball cap boys can eat my dust.

S-H...

Magus

Practically Family
TomMason said:
Great story! Amazing how a hat taps into iconic imagery - Howard Huges! Wonderful!

I thought the same thing...as I don't think I look like him at all...and I'm 44.... a young hip 44 to be sure...lol

Here's a shot.

M

STA70001.JPG

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Every female friend I have compliments me on how nice I look every time I wear a nice fedora. Strangers as well. Last night, a recent aquaintaince I wouldn't mind getting to know better (;)) said she loved the fact that I wear nice hats. And last night I invited her for a drink; she showed up dressed nicely, I showed in only a decent pair of slacks, a t-shirt, and a nice Beaver Brand navy fedora. I felt like a schmo. Nevertheless, she emphasized that she really liked that I would wear a nice hat with a t-shirt, like it was an everyday thing for me (which it is). Go figure.

Another friend and I were out for a drink a few nights ago, I, again, in a nice fedora. A mutual aquaintance was leaving; as he did, he put on a fedora (not nearly as nice as mine I must add), walked up to my friend and said, "You must dig guys in nice hats," to which she replied, "That's the only way I like 'em."

My conclusions: thumbs up all around for wearing nice hats everyday, even with t-shirts.

Jake Sullivan

One of the Regulars
Congrats on impressing the ladies

But my wife still thinks I am a dork.... oh well such is life. ( However I do wear it on the way to work dressed in a polyester grey Paramedic uniform) uh ...yeah I am a dork. Oh well I am a happy dork thoughlol lol lol

Magus

Practically Family
spiridon said:
Great looking hat Magus.......but my first reaction would have been a young Orson Wells. Either way a nice compliment towards you!:)

Thanks for the compliment. The hat is one of those looks good "on a galloping horse" types. Great style and color, very clean, and maybe 50 moth bites...lol...so as long as your moving its great...ya get close up and you see why I toss it in the back seat of the car without a thought.

M

RedPop4

One Too Many
Sadly, my wife is much like Jake's although she's commented negatively it hasn't stopped me.

Wish I'd known this in my prime. Hope the younger guys like Mr. Misanthropy et al will get to understanding this and take advantage of it.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
My wife's cool with it. Since we are both artists and graphics designers people just expect us to be a little eccentric. And my clients are always into it too. I think it's because it's a break from their mostly dull, corporate lives, to have this wacky artist come to visit.:D

Fortino37

Familiar Face
1990 the Fedora year

At 19 some guys decide to use long hair, black jackets, ripped pants, mohican hair style, tatoos, earings in the nose............but I decide to wear fedoras. Was in June 1990 when I bought a cheap wool fedora, an Indiana Jones repro, with the money my mother gave me in my birthday, at the begining was strange for me, but like it, my mother said that I look old, shorter and that probably will be bald soon. My father support my desition and helped me to obtain my grandfather's old fedoras.
The first time my wife saw me, I was driving my 1952 Chevrolet wearing a black leather jacket and the brown fedora, few years later she told me that I look "very interesting".
My mother tried to make me stop wearing hats offering me $100.00, but does not work, today she accept my look and when she travels to Guadalajara brings with her a bunch of hat leather sweatbands, ribbon bands, and linings just in case I need them.

I belive that any body can wear a base ball cap but not everybody has te courage to wear a fedora.
Fortino37

normal_IMGP192.jpg

Saludos from Mexicali

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Interesting.....?

Fortino37 said:
...... she told me that I look "very interesting".
My mother tried to make me stop wearing hats offering me $100.00, but does not work,

I belive that any body can wear a base ball cap but not everybody has te courage to wear a fedora.

Man, I wish I looked that interesting! You look great in that picture, and the one in the grey Homburg on your album site, too. Class and Style from head to foot. A good thing you let your mom keep the $100.

- Mark

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
If you ask me, I'd say your wives are damn insecure! It's a fact: Complex, older ladies dig a man in a nice hat. Maybe they're afraid of you fellas running off? ;)

I love the comments I get. But I have yet to find ladies MY age who appreciate a young guy in a hat. :(

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Women do seem to like the fedoras

In the months that I have been wearing hats, without a doubt women take notice.... and in a good way! I have been very surprised by it. Some have made comments while walking by. Some female friends have said that I look good in a hat. Last week while I was driving home and waiting at a stoplight, I became aware of a very attractive passenger in another car passing through the intersection. She could not take her eyes off of me. I felt somewhat embarrassed, but smiled back. I can only attribute her interest from my wearing a hat.

And the biggest affirmation is from my wife: she hates me spending any money on hats, or having them around the house, yet EVEN SHE has volunteered that I look good in a hat!! :p

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Fortino37 said:
At 19 some guys decide to use long hair, black jackets, ripped pants, mohican hair style, tatoos, earings in the nose............but I decide to wear fedoras. Was in June 1990 when I bought a cheap wool fedora, an Indiana Jones repro, with the money my mother gave me in my birthday, at the begining was strange for me, but like it, my mother said that I look old, shorter and that probably will be bald soon. My father support my desition and helped me to obtain my grandfather's old fedoras.
The first time my wife saw me, I was driving my 1952 Chevrolet wearing a black leather jacket and the brown fedora, few years later she told me that I look "very interesting".
My mother tried to make me stop wearing hats offering me $100.00, but does not work, today she accept my look and when she travels to Guadalajara brings with her a bunch of hat leather sweatbands, ribbon bands, and linings just in case I need them.

Fortino37

normal_IMGP192.jpg

Saludos from Mexicali

Fortino, is that YOU in the photo ?? If so, then you were born to wear a fedora. That pic looks like it came straight from someones 1940s photo album - very cool - very smart !:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy