Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Schott in Shinki, this one looks good!

Khilij

One of the Regulars
I think the plaid lining is neat but otherwise I don't think this jacket is for me. Something about the way the front looks. The leather looks great though.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
Great seeing some innovation in the right direction out of Schott. I particularly like their recent use of the two way Conmar zippers. Wish they would become standard issue on all their motorcycle jackets as it can be a great equalizer if the length is just a tad long for riding.

i kind of like the back on this one but agree about the missing adjustment buckles and overuse of zippers on the hand warmer pockets. The leather itself seems quite good!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The interesting thing about the Conmar use that so many of us are excited by: they use Conmars on everything! They just don’t use the Conmar marked pulls.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I like the pocket configuration but isn't it a bit long? from the photo it ends halfway down the fly, that explain the dual zip, imo the hem should be 1" bellow the d pocket or give it some front drop slant hem. and the half belt is a thin strip connecting panel instead of extra layer of leather on top of the panel, I don't like how it sinks on the center of the belt like that and how the edges of top and bottom panels ghost over the half belt it makes the leather looks thin.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Seems like a nice jacket and the leather certainly looks amazing. I agree though the "fake" half-belt, the center crease - seam and all those zippers with a D-pocket on the front give it a little too "busy" a vibe. At least in my eyes, and for this specific jacket & target market. What was that price again...?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I would delete the zippers on the hand warmers, swap the main zip for a blacken aluminum one, the chrome doesn't work with the 40s look, and add the 40s bottom cinch on the back. Also the price is a bit high, but it's a big brand and Shinki. Maybe throw in an removable real mouton collar for the price. And the torso is elongated, but I prefer it this length, it doesn't look out of place, there were longer half belted (surcoat length) aviators in the 40s. This length works well in today's untuck shirt world. I used to laugh at the center vent. But once I got one, I am a convert. Mobility is great. Schott probably made this same jacket back in the 1940s. If this indeed an archive pattern, they should market it that way.
schott 40s aviator.jpg

schott 40s aviator bk.jpg

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
Close but no cigar. Saw this in person at Schott NYC. As previously mentioned, one too many zips. Looks like a damn Christmas tree! Definitely should've deleted them on the hand warmers. Deserves brass hardware I think. Would've preferred a straight vertical right chest pocket since there are already so many slants. Possibly underside snaps on the lapels like the Harley Cycle Champ.

Damn you Schott. I want so much to root for my home team but this was a little too much determination. A shart.

Aloysius

Poor Schott.

TFL: “Another missed opportunity. Why does Schott keep modernizing the jackets with special leathers? They should do a straight repro instead, then we’d buy it.”

Schott: *does a straight repro of a 30s/40s aviator as the new collab, including the box pleat bi-swing*

TFL: “Why does this Schott have exactly the button and zipper layout of the original? They should have modernized it! And the back design is a vagina! What are they thinking?"

(I think the side adjusters complaint is totally valid and I share it; would have seriously considered the jacket otherwise, but the rest...)

Poor Schott.

TFL: “Another missed opportunity. Why does Schott keep modernizing the jackets with special leathers? They should do a straight repro instead, then we’d buy it.”

Schott: *does a straight repro of a 30s/40s aviator as the new collab, including the box pleat bi-swing*

TFL: “Why does this Schott have exactly the button and zipper layout of the original? They should have modernized it! And the back design is a vagina! What are they thinking?"

(I think the side adjusters complaint is totally valid and I share it; would have seriously considered the jacket otherwise, but the rest...)
I think the zippers are too much on the handwarmers. They are definitely 99% of the way there though, and frankly this jacket will fit better and look nicer than most custom made pieces posted here. These “Golden era” repros aren’t doing much for me lately but I do like the looks of it. The price is also too high imo. $1300 and not a penny more. I have no beef with the length or layout. It’s perfect in that regard IMO. It’s a wearable riff on this jacket which was 22” long with 23” sleeves, unwearable by anyone over 5’8”
IMG_5883.jpeg

Last edited:

Kfz

Familiar Face
Up till now I still think the Schott 613S/618 are the best looking double riders. Copy the 2 models and simply delete the lapel and belt makes a perfect fashion Schott Perfecto.

Aloysius

Up till now I still think the Schott 613S/618 are the best looking double riders. Copy the 2 models and simply delete the lapel and belt makes a perfect fashion Schott Perfecto.

Those models without the belt end up just having a ton of empty space. It’s the Instagram influencer fashion to show how tough and manly they are by cutting off the belts/epaulettes on their Perfectos; just ends up looking bad imo.

To go beltless it needs to be a design that‘s build around it like many half-belts and aviators.

Mr. Hide

Familiar Face
Here's an idea I'm surprised no one speaks of... a "ꓷ"-pocket!

As a two wheeled rider it makes perfect sense. Why wouldn't I want accessible pockets while having my right hand readily available on the brake and throttle. Am I crazy for thinking this?

Yes I know, not everyone rides and the design was originally for aviators but I think there's a real demand for it.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Agreed on the handwarmer pockets.

Here´s a picture of my Aviator. It does have handwarmers, but without zippers it´s visually much more pleasing (IMO only, of course).

Lenght is debatbale. It´s a halfbelt, of course, and I have often thought, that an inch more wouldn´t have hurt, but of course, you would neither want a Bike jacket, nor a plane jacket riding up on your throat when sitting down.

Nip2.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Why not just do a nice classic 641 with the dress collar or the Duke type of American straight zip sports jacket. It's classic in design, suits more people in more situations, and with the brand of Schott plus the quality of Shinki, I would get one. And leave the niche designs to the niche makers. Just a thought.

Aloysius

They can’t win lol.

If this were made in Japan with 16” shoulders and a 44” waist, people here would be lining up to buy it, calling it a rare reproduction etc.

It’s always “why can’t everything be a 613 or 141?” when those are just two of many models and even as someone who owns multiple 613s they’re far from everything.

Frankly I think the black Italian horsehide suits the 613 better than the black Shinki.

Kfz

Familiar Face
Those models without the belt end up just having a ton of empty space. It’s the Instagram influencer fashion to show how tough and manly they are by cutting off the belts/epaulettes on their Perfectos; just ends up looking bad imo.

To go beltless it needs to be a design that‘s build around it like many half-belts and aviators.
Check this one, not as bad . I wish it was cow hide

Attachments

• IMG_2076.jpeg
    IMG_2076.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1741.jpeg
    IMG_1741.jpeg
    858.7 KB · Views: 75

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members