Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Virgin bites the dust!!!!

Haversack

One Too Many
Hello the Lounge. I've been reading the public forums here, (lurking if you will), for more than a better part of a year now, and I've decided that I had better get off the stick and subscribe. What has proven the final motivation is my decision to join the 20th Century and get a fedora. Frankly, I could use some advice on the subject.

Now I am no stranger to the wearing of caps and hats. I’ve been wearing flat caps since I was about nine years old when my grandfather took me to England to visit that side of the family. And I went through a few straw Stetsons over the years while camping and fishing. Also several years in the Army solidly pavloved the concept of feeling naked if I was outside without a hat. The past few years I’ve taken to wearing one of a couple of 19th Century-style hats I’ve had made for me by the Clearwater Hat Company, (a low-crowned derby and a low, flat-crown broad-brim similar to General Vallejo’s cordobes.). Since last year, (when the weather permits), I’ve worn a plantation straw that Art made.

What has prompted my fedora decision is a combination of reading this site with all of its bonhomie, (and the knowledge and joy people express here on matters sartorial and historical), along with the gob-smacking artistry and craftsmanship embodied in Art’s hats. Art’s latest creation, (the Manhattan), is what pushed me over the edge.

Now, I am pretty much a novice when it comes to the Fedora and all of the various permutations. Since reading here, I’ve learned a bit about C-crowns, center-dents, straight vs. taper crowns, stingy brims vs. wide, etc. Problem I’m having is putting it all together. I’m not looking to recreate a specific hat or era. (although my preferences lean pre-1950). First and foremost, this is a hat which will likely be worn every day on my walking commute. This is about a mile and a half each way and can easily include cold, wet fog and ninety-five degree sunshine on the same day. Similarly, I might be wearing a suit, sport coat, jacket, or vest, weather, professional needs, and personal vanity requiring. My preference is for a fairly broad brim as the sun is not my friend, (blond). Also, I’ve gathered that narrow brims are to be avoided if one is tall. (I’m 6’4") What I would like to know is if there are other factors I should consider?

Now that I am subscribed, I’ll likely post on other topics now and then. I’ve very much enjoyed reading you all, and I’d like to join the conversation if you’ll allow.

Haversack

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Haversack!!!
In general, you're right about the stingy brims. the best approach I can offer is be realistic about your build, shoulder width, and facial shape to pick out a hat for yourself based on those factors. If you are tall ( which you are) with broad shoulders and somewhat oval or rounded face, brim away!! There are very few brims that would be too wide. On the other hand if you are built thin , tall, with a thin face (like myself) you'll need to stick with brims 2 3/4 & under. If you have the chance, the best thing to do is find a local hat shop & try on hats till you find the right look.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry WeeGee . . .

but I'm a fair way in from the Outback, at the edge of Sydney's suburban sprawl. But anytime you're in the neighborhood, you've got your own tour guide around the Harbour City. First stop: the Strand Hatters, in Sydney's colonial Strand Arcade. Second stop: Skin Deep Clothing on Elizabeth Street. Then, if I can manage to get you out of those places within the week, you and the family can see the tourist sights! :)

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Thanks Benny

Looking at visiting some family (friends) in India next year.

If time permits...perhaps will swing on down under.

Did an around the world ticket last time to India...on to Thailand after

that.Have never been to Australia. On the list.

Thank for the tour guide offer.

Regards,

WeeGee

Haversack

One Too Many
Thanks for the welcome and the advice, Art. My face used to be quite thin. To rectify that, I have worn side whiskers and a handlebar mustache for the past twenty years. Since I have also filled out a bit in the same time, I can probably go with a wider brim on a fedora. My cordobes, (which you very kindly reblocked me last year), has a flat brim of over four inches and works very well with my face and height.

I have a few questions about your Manhattan and possible custom work but that should probably go into a private email through your website. The straw planters hat with the blue puggaree which I bought from you last year before you closed your Rodeo shop continues to garner complements. I'm waiting for the warmer and drier weather to begin so I can start wearing it again.

Haversack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass