Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Virgin bites the dust!!!!

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Art Fawcett said:
thank you Tabitha.. Marc...several inches or so???? Gents, please trust that I am educated in past hat styles and can faithfully reproduce the style. Just for clarification Marc, 2 3/8 brim is a common 20's early '30s style but not the only one. I would hate to have the Loungers think that this is the only acceptable brim width for this period of time. In truth, many brim widths were available.

While I agree with your assessment, Art...I'm really more interested in the hat having that "look" that is terribly hard to find, yet so appealing. It may not be the only style common at that time, but it is certainly one of the best. The nice thing about a 2 3/8 inch brim is that it can be worn with suits, shirts or overcoats and still look good. It's a versatile brim width.
for me, anyway.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks Craig, you clearly see what my concern is. I have no issue with this style hat and in fact I love it myself, I just don't want to put out limiting info. An example of how that works is in the vintage suit area. I used to have at least twice a week a gent coming in to get a "gangster" or "zoot" suit,meaning a DB in wide stripes & loud colors because that was "typical". In truth, the Double breasted was NOT typical and especially for most gangsters. There are exceptions of course (Capone) but what crook would want to attract attention to themselves? The standard dress of the time was a 3 piece single but thats not the image. Thats what I am always concerned of creating unintentionally.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Art Fawcett said:
Gents, please trust that I am educated in past hat styles and can faithfully reproduce the style. Just for clarification Marc, 2 3/8 brim is a common 20's early '30s style but not the only one. I would hate to have the Loungers think that this is the only acceptable brim width for this period of time. In truth, many brim widths were available.
All true. What I should have said was, my own preferred '30s-style fedora would have a 2 3/8" brim and a wide ribbon.

You know better than anyone the variety of dimensions and shapes in '20s-'30s hats. That's what makes it so difficult for me to date pre-1960s hats by eyeballing the style alone. Vintage suits and ties are so much easier!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
And since hat variety is the spice of Golden Era life ...

Here's a 1930s Stetson fedora I gave to a friend. This is definitely not a good model for moon-faced guys. The crown is high, and the brim a tiny 2 inches wide. It's a '30s hat whose style is not for me.

evenmorehats055.jpg

evenmorehats056.jpg

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Quality is timeless

Art beyond anything else your hats are quality supreme.

Looking at photographs of days gone by it seems that the mix and match of suit, tie, shoe and hat was a regular happening especially amoung the working class.

What would be the norm?

The eclectic, eccentic and regular guy of the past did like today with more style.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you WeeGee, you should know considering you have two to compare to other brands and era's.
I'm not quite sure what you are asking in the rest of your post. Things that were normal back then but considered wrong today? Hmmm Blue suit/brown shoes & hat. Today I would get a funny look from my wife with the brown/blue combo. She understands of course, but still doesn't like it. WILD colors in neckwear and socks back then. I've had neckties so bold ( and still do) that I have to close the closet door to be able to sleep at night!! I love them :)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks Marc,, I knew you'd understand my comment. The new design went on the block today & I hope to be able to finish by the end of the week for everyone's input..btw..6" crown, 2 3/8 brim in "Sahara..should turn out pretty nice

Art Fawcett said:
I'm not quite sure what you are asking in the rest of your post. Things that were normal back then but considered wrong today? Hmmm Blue suit/brown shoes & hat. Today I would get a funny look from my wife with the brown/blue combo. She understands of course, but still doesn't like it. WILD colors in neckwear and socks back then. I've had neckties so bold ( and still do) that I have to close the closet door to be able to sleep at night!! I love them :)

Clearly your wife is right and has good fashion sense. Blue and brown? PU! :p
Wild ties? I am sure you do. I have seen some. ;) I love them too. :cheers1:

Regards,

J

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Not wrong , just not right

Correct?

Subjective idealism is a theory in the philosophy of perception. It describes a relationship between human experience of the external world, and that world itself, in which objects are nothing more than collections (or bundles) of sense data in those who perceive them.

Objective idealism is an idealistic metaphysics that postulates that there is in an important sense only one perceiver, and that this perceiver is one with that which is perceived.

So in short...how we preceive or how we do not.

NO...just say no to brown and blue.

:cheers1:

WeeGee

WEEGEE said:
Correct?

Subjective idealism is a theory in the philosophy of perception. It describes a relationship between human experience of the external world, and that world itself, in which objects are nothing more than collections (or bundles) of sense data in those who perceive them.

Objective idealism is an idealistic metaphysics that postulates that there is in an important sense only one perceiver, and that this perceiver is one with that which is perceived.

So in short...how we preceive or how we do not.

NO...just say no to brown and blue.

:cheers1:

WeeGee

Uh, yeah. What he said. :p

Regards,

J

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
The New Design

Art Fawcett said:
Thanks Marc,, I knew you'd understand my comment. The new design went on the block today & I hope to be able to finish by the end of the week for everyone's input..btw..6" crown, 2 3/8 brim in "Sahara..should turn out pretty nice

Can't wait, bring it on. Light colored hats from that era are impossible to find..."sahara" sounds yummy.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett said:
Good question Mr.H
I send out what is called in slang a "halo" type conformer. It is a plastic ring with "prongs" that are pushed into the head and tightened down with a nut arrangement. This is the same thing that the old conformer ( wooden) does but with a little less accuracy. Then, it is sent back to me where I trace out on card stock the shape of the head, draw lines between each "prong" mark, then cut it out. So, the conformer is the "outie" taking the outside shape. At this point is where the formillion comes in. I take the formillion ( an oval two sided pice that has wooden "fingers" that can be tightened down) and spread out the "fingers" to the shape of the tracing, thus duplicating the shape and eliminating the need to make a wooden block to fit inside the hat to bring it to shape when making it.
I discovered this isn't foolproof as I was transfering wrong in the first 1/2 dozen hats I did but it's pretty darn close once you get the knack of it.
At any rate, it's never a waste of $300 as I and any other custom hatter works with you till it's right.

Thanks Art,

That's a really good explaination.

I must PM you when I figue out what style I'd like.

Thanks,

Mr. 'H'.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a dream lid!

Greetings Everyone,

I'm new to the Lounge, and must say it's a pleasure to be in the company of like-minded people who are so interesting in (printed) conversation and so knowledgeable.

A couple of years back, I had the pleasure of purchasing a brown pinstripe
DB suit from Art, and, no doubt like many other of his customers over the years, was disappointed to see him close the vintage clothing section of his enterprise. Seeing such superb craftsmanship as is evident in the Manhattan, however, I realize that Art is doing what he was always meant to do. Sir, you are a Master of your craft.

Now all I need to do is hurry my home renovations along (heh, now that's a joke and a half!) so I can order my very own Manhattan, a dream hat if ever I've seen one.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thank you Benny, and Welcome to the Lounge, my home away from home...wait, what am I saying? I'm IN my home.. so confusing sometimes.:)

Hope you are enjoying the suit. I really AM having fun with only the hats now. Much less work and worry.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the welcome, Art

It feels like hanging out with old friends in this place!

I'm enjoying the suit immensely. Hopefully, I'll work out how to post some pics soon, and you'll see it in action!

That's the real trick, isn't it - finding a job that one really enjoys doing. Congratulations on finding yours, the finished product tells the whole story.

Benny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot