Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anti-hat article | The Guardian UK

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Berets on a man are ridiculous?
Pls. do tell this all the elite military units worldwide, the inventing Basques nation, the artists, the men of intellect etc. etc.
Berets rule.
The article doesn't.

Last edited:

Walt

One of the Regulars
I suspect the author can't get away with hats, and she's jealous.

I think you may be on to something. Probably some insecurity about her own looks as well. Looking at the few pictures of her that I could find showing her outfits she could use some help with makeup and dressing as well.

In the end who cares what she says---I sure as hell don't!

Flicka

One Too Many
Hm. I wonder what one has to do in order to be paid to write pieces denouncing the wearing of particular items of clothing? Because I think I could manage that pretty easily (unless it was socks; I think most people are simply so much better with socks than without). I can also hate on various hairstyles, shades of lipstick and, if I must, all sorts of foodstuff.

Please send any offers to me via pm.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Well, when I was hiking in Nepal and had huge blisters on both pinky toes that made wearing my boots impossible I was glad I had my Teva sandals with me. ;)

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
When are some people going to realize that if we all talked alike, thought alike, and dressed alike---were alike , then there wouldn't need for so many of us to be here. I have friends who wouldn't be seen dead in a hat and I have friends that like to wear hats. I'm fine with both. It's diversity not conformity that spices up my day.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
When are some people going to realize that if we all talked alike, thought alike, and dressed alike---were alike , then there wouldn't need for so many of us to be here. I have friends who wouldn't be seen dead in a hat and I have friends that like to wear hats. I'm fine with both. It's diversity not conformity that spices up my day.
:eusa_clap

Yes sir, brilliant post!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Hm. I wonder what one has to do in order to be paid to write pieces denouncing the wearing of particular items of clothing? Because I think I could manage that pretty easily (unless it was socks; I think most people are simply so much better with socks than without). I can also hate on various hairstyles, shades of lipstick and, if I must, all sorts of foodstuff.

Please send any offers to me via pm.
:D The article has only one valid point The beret Ben Okri wears is too small for him in my opinion - he should have chosen a bit larger one. Just as with hats - a man with a fuller face can't wear stingy brim porkpies.

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
"Look at me! Look at me! I wish I lived in another centuryyyyyy!

The article writer says that in a derogatory way, as if something is "wrong" with with anyone who does not prefer the present day (or the [lack of] style thereof) over other time periods. I say she has no basis to make such a judgment, and neither would anyone who reads and agrees with her insult have a basis on which to assert that his or her opinion, that everyone should think today is best, is better than points of view that differ.

As for her "Look at me" comment, I wear fedoras for me because I love the aesthetic. If someone looking at me dislikes the aesthetic, then that's his or her prerogative, but his or her dislike is no reason why I should pander to his of her tastes by not wearing fedoras. If anyone does not like to look at me, no one is forcing him or her to do so.

I have found, however, that even though I do not ask anyone to, many, many people love to look at me when I wear a fedora. That I know from the multitude of compliments that I've gotten during every one of the many years in which I've worn a fedora, from men and women of all age groups. From these friendly strangers, I speculate that (in contrast to the implications of the insulting article) a considerable segment of the population thinks that fedoras are fantastic, and would prefer a turn back towards the fedora as commonplace.:)

Last edited:

Duke of Buckingham

New in Town
I would have more respect for Freeman as a writer if she hadn't covered all possible sides. She really is a self-serving rascal.

We go from "mannered hats, fussy hats, look-at-me hats," in Par. 5 to the conclusion that "Fedoras, panamas and top hats are, in certain circumstances, acceptable. But Depp needs to cool it as he is entering the Land of Self-Parody from which there is no return."

Like many fashion writers, she's hung up on brand names and superstars - like a wine snob who drinks the label, she would be OK wearing a potato sack, so long as it was a Gucci potato sack.

It would have cool had it been an invective-filled rant from start to finish, without her attempts to look smart and have to talk about famous people.

However, I rather like the out-of-context Bobby Ewing quote that a man should never be "all hat and no cattle" - which reminds me of the classic, "all mouth and no trousers."

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I confess to a "look at me" motive for wearing fedoras, and that is the effect they have, for better for for worse. Hats are conspicuous. But whatever nice article of clothing you buy, I contend, also has a "look at me" factor. Sharp coat or shirt? Fashion shoes for women? "Look at me" is common to all fashion, unless you're in a work uniform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred