Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antique Bronze Case Pocket Watch

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
I just got this from E-Bay.

Necklace_1_%281%29.jpg

Necklace_1_%282%29.jpg

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
CLShaeffer said:
Cool. That's gorgeous.

The open face design is handy and the antiqued bronze looks great.

How much was it?

*Sigh* well, I just found out I got kinda scammed.

I paid about $4.00 total for the watch. Then after they send me a confirmation email with a link to their store, where I found the watch. It is 3cm in size. That's just over 1 inch. It's a watch pendant for a necklace. :(

Still a nice design, but it looks like I will be passing this along to my wife.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I don't think the size was a scam, maybe just a case of not reading the small print. The filenames for the images both include the word 'Necklace' after all.

However, I would take issue with anybody describing a quartz watch as antique.

Don't feel ripped off though - I'm sure you'll find a lady who'll appreciate it as a gift, could be $4 well spent!

EDIT: Just found those listed on Ebay, the listing describes them as ladies' watches, 3cm diameter.
They are listed in the antiques category, but described as brand new. You could refuse to pay on this basis?
Example:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antique-Bronze-Case-Pocket-Watch-Chain-GL21-/220649443725?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Watches&hash=item335fbb518d

11 Negative feedback comments in the last month isn't encouraging either. It's a good idea to look at feedback given before bidding.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Methuselah said:
I don't think the size was a scam, maybe just a case of not reading the small print. The filenames for the images both include the word 'Necklace' after all.

However, I would take issue with anybody describing a quartz watch as antique.

Don't feel ripped off though - I'm sure you'll find a lady who'll appreciate it as a gift, could be $4 well spent!

EDIT: Just found those listed on Ebay, the listing describes them as ladies' watches, 3cm diameter.
They are listed in the antiques category, but described as brand new. You could refuse to pay on this basis?
Example:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antique-Bronze-Case-Pocket-Watch-Chain-GL21-/220649443725?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Watches&hash=item335fbb518d

11 Negative feedback comments in the last month isn't encouraging either. It's a good idea to look at feedback given before bidding.

Thanks for the tips. I'll just chalk this one up as lesson learned. Last time I dealt with a problem on ebay and did a "refusal to pay" it was a big head ache. I got my payment back but it was worth it then, (over $500), $4 is not a bad price for a life lesson. and I will keep the watch and add to my collection. it will be the smallest pocket watch I own :)

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Ah, don't sweat it man, we've all done something similar on Ebay, I bought a sport coat thinking it had a vintage look and it turned out awful, a piece from the 80's (*shudder*)

I think failing at something is the best way to learn sometimes, not saying you failed, mind.

Big_e

Practically Family
Hey, getting brownie points with the wife is always a good idea! I bought a couple of those pocketwatches from ebay. They may be inexpensive but they are hardy little watches, the movement is ok and the cases keep a good look. The worse things about them is the chains. One of the ones I bought is a mecnanical movement watch that still works 2 years later! That suprised me.
Ernest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner