Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antique Hat Care

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
I've inherited my Great Grandfathers hat, a nice old wide brimmed, high crown cowboy hat. Several homemade repairs to the hat that are certainly vintage also. I have it on a hat stretcher- snug not tight, and brush it occasionally to keep the dust off. I have it out on display (along with my grand-fathers hat, and now, sadly, my own father's).

I've searched the treads and couldn't find much on old hat care, I may even wear this bad boy to the Settler's Days that are hosted near the old homeplace in West Oklahoma. If I'm gonna wear it I will need to stretch it about an 1/8th.

What do you all think?

CH

Inusuit

A-List Customer
I'm no expert...

And free advice is always worth the price. My concern with stretching the hat would be the possibility of damage to the hat band. In older hats, the leather can dry out, crack, and break. I use Lexol or a similar leather treatment on the bands of vintage hats, and would recommend you assess the condition of the band before you try stretching it. And use a leather conditioner first in any case. From what I've learned on this forum, a hat can usually be stretched one size, i.e., from a 7 1/8 to 7 1/4. Others say they have done more. My own limited experience is that it's difficult to change the size permanently. The hat tends to revert to its original size. If it was my granddad's hat, I might be content with leaving it on display.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge!
A small stretch should be OK... but beware that sometimes the worst can happen.
If its a hat you plan on wearing alot, holler at Mike Moore {Buckaroo Hatters, Covington TN] he should be able to bring it up to your size and place a new sweat in it.
Good luck!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
Welcome to the Lounge!
A small stretch should be OK... but beware that sometimes the worst can happen.
If its a hat you plan on wearing alot, holler at Mike Moore {Buckaroo Hatters, Covington TN] he should be able to bring it up to your size and place a new sweat in it.
Good luck!
Ouch! Don't put a new sweatband in it unless you have to
because the old one is so worn and dry it is no longer soft.
Those old sweatbands were made of quality leather and had
some cool designs on them. Keep it like your grandfather had it!

There are many threads on this forum regarding stretching hats,
with detailed instructions. If the sweatband isn't shot and you
treat it thoroughly with Lexol, Pecards or equivalent and stretch
it very slowly using steam or after wetting the hat, you should have
no trouble bringing it up 1/8.

I've done this many times with cowboy and dress felt hats from
just about every decade of the 20th century. Only time it goes
wrong is when the sweatband is beat up or if I am in a hurry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner