Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Cigar Afficionados Out There?

RedPop4

One Too Many
Thora, you may well HAVE seen some great bargains. Keep looking in your travels, simply examine more carefully, now that you know what you're seeking.

I'll let Coley tell his skunk story, it's worth the price of reading the thread.lol lol lol lol lol

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
Any recommendations on cigar stores in London anyone. I usually stay in Mayfair or St. James and I've been to James J Fox and Davidoff.

nubsnubs

Familiar Face
I love cigars. I smoke one about once every two weeks and enjoy the hell out of it. I'm just wondering if there are any others out there who subscribe to this same vice, and if so, what do you smoke?

I am overseas right now and am taking advantage of the availability of Cuban Cohibas. Otherwise I enjoy an El Rey Delmundo, Monte Cristo, and Romeo y Julietta.

WH1

Practically Family
I enjoy a good cigar with a good port on a regular basis. Partial to arturo fuente hemingways or padron's of any type. Recently I was fortunate enough to meet and share a cigar and a drink with Nick Perdomo and highly recommend his cigars, the best of Nicaragua.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
Guilty! I enjoy pipes and cigars on an occasional basis. I like Cuban Cohibas and Hoyo de Monterreys. I have the luxury to live close to Canada where I can get Cuban cigars regularly.

I sometimes wonder if I covet Cuban cigars the same way I used to covet Coors beer. Because of its limited distribution, we always thought Coors was some special beer that always tasted better.

My "domestic" brands include Ashton Cabinet and Macanudo.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Once upon a time I smoked Maduro Macanudos by the box. However, it's been a while. I probably haven't had a cigar in over a year. :(

Why did I read this thread? [huh]

Bebop

Practically Family
carter said:
Once upon a time I smoked Maduro Macanudos by the box. However, it's been a while. I probably haven't had a cigar in over a year. :(

Why did I read this thread? [huh]

It's about time to open a box of Macanudos?? [huh]

RedPop4

One Too Many
<waves>

Hi, I'm Tommy and I smoke cigars. ;)

WH1, where did you meet Mr. Perdomo? What did you smoke with him? The Perdomo Habano, which is Tabacalera Perdomo's newest offering, introduced last month at the RTDA in Houston, is a really good cigar. I've smoked both the natural (with a Corojo wrapper) and the maduro. The maduro is really good, and the aroma from the cigar smells almost like pipe tobacco. The night I smoked it both my wife and one our friends asked, nearly simultaneously, "who's smoking a pipe?" It's priced, I believe, about $5 a stick which is not bad for this one.

I got to meet Kinky Friedman at the RTDA as well. The cigars are made by Oliveros, the artwork and bands are nice.

If you're interested, read my piece, divided into four parts, over on Cigar Weekly I have photos of friends of mine with Kinky.

WH1

Practically Family
RedPop4 said:
<waves>

Hi, I'm Tommy and I smoke cigars. ;)

WH1, where did you meet Mr. Perdomo? What did you smoke with him? The Perdomo Habano, which is Tabacalera Perdomo's newest offering, introduced last month at the RTDA in Houston, is a really good cigar. I've smoked both the natural (with a Corojo wrapper) and the maduro. The maduro is really good, and the aroma from the cigar smells almost like pipe tobacco. The night I smoked it both my wife and one our friends asked, nearly simultaneously, "who's smoking a pipe?" It's priced, I believe, about $5 a stick which is not bad for this one.

I got to meet Kinky Friedman at the RTDA as well. The cigars are made by Oliveros, the artwork and bands are nice.

If you're interested, read my piece, divided into four parts, over on Cigar Weekly I have photos of friends of mine with Kinky.

Met Mr. Perdomo at the Humidor Pipe Shop here in Huntsville, Alabama. My wife took me there to see him and also Graham Thompson from Optimo Hats. As part of my birthday present she bought me an Optimo Hat and a box of Maduro Perdomo E Reserve Cabinet Series Cigars. I am a very lucky man, my wife indulges my passions. I also received a new lighter from Perdomo, a Perdomo ball cap, 4 estate seleccion Vintage 1991 Maduros, and Mr. Perdomo gave me several of the Perdomo Habanos Naturals with the Corojo wrapper. That evening when my wife and I were having dinner at the Chop House in Huntsville we ran into Mr. Perdomo and his party, we shared a drink and a cigar with him in the bar after dinner. I smoked the Maduro and it was everything you say it is. A very pleasant cigar as is the Habano Corojo which I have smoked several in the last week.
Mr. Perdomo is a gentleman and makes an outstanding cigar. I have always liked the Nicaraguan cigars and have been able to visit several of the cigar making facilities in Esteli.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I love cigars. I had a partagas spanish rosada last night and a romeo y julietta the night before. i have been having one a day for a while now. I like the acid brand, sosa, hoyo excaliburs, partagas, montecristo, and macanudo golds. My current favorite is romeo y julietta. I have a few opus X but am letting them sit in the humidor for a little while.
If you subscribe to the email list on cigar.com they send you weekly specials. This week is a 20 cigar sampler of Camachos for $60.

I would like to try a pipe but am clueless to pipesmoking.

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
I'm also a cigar smoker (when I can afford it). My primary brand of choice is Arturo Fuente. However, the best smoke I can remember was an H. Uppmann Millennium that I purchased from a tobacconist in Sherman Oaks (I was visiting L.A. at the time).

nubsnubs

Familiar Face
CAO Sopranos

Lancealot said:
I enjoy Helix, CAO, Natural, and the occasional hand rolled from a here in town.

Have you tried the CAO Sopranos edition? That is a great cigar. And I love to car trunk box. I was given an empty one as a gift.

RedPop4

One Too Many
WH1 said:
Met Mr. Perdomo at the Humidor Pipe Shop here in Huntsville, Alabama. My wife took me there to see him and also Graham Thompson from Optimo Hats. As part of my birthday present she bought me an Optimo Hat and a box of Maduro Perdomo E Reserve Cabinet Series Cigars. I am a very lucky man, my wife indulges my passions. I also received a new lighter from Perdomo, a Perdomo ball cap, 4 estate seleccion Vintage 1991 Maduros, and Mr. Perdomo gave me several of the Perdomo Habanos Naturals with the Corojo wrapper. That evening when my wife and I were having dinner at the Chop House in Huntsville we ran into Mr. Perdomo and his party, we shared a drink and a cigar with him in the bar after dinner. I smoked the Maduro and it was everything you say it is. A very pleasant cigar as is the Habano Corojo which I have smoked several in the last week.
Mr. Perdomo is a gentleman and makes an outstanding cigar. I have always liked the Nicaraguan cigars and have been able to visit several of the cigar making facilities in Esteli.
I have a couple friends in Huntsville who'd most likely enjoy sitting and having a cigar with you.

You had a seriously good night, it seems. As I said, that Perdomo Habano is really nice.

For the gentleman with the crumpled $10, I hate to harp on Perdomo, lest it seems I'm hawking them. However they have a line called "Perdomo Fresco" which, I THINK, developed from some fresh-rolled cigars they'd make when they visited tobacconist shops for events. Anyway, this is now their "bundle brand." My local has a robusto in this line for under $2.50.

Flor de Oliva is another company that makes some fine cigars in the $1.50 range.

Look for the Honduran Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte. These are a BOXED brand that retail in the neighborhood of $35 per box. This is a steal, and a good smoke, as well.

Padron has two or three cigars in that range as well
2000, 3000 or Londres in either natural or maduro wrapper.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
A loaded question...

Jack Scorpion said:
How about a little hint for those of us that walk into a humidor with a crumpled 10 in our pockets and hope of some spare dollars afterwards?

First of all, depending on where you live, it may be nearly impossible to find a decent smoke for under a sawbuck. It is certainly tough here in WA.

I'd suggest you put yourself into the hands of the tobacconist. If he/she knows their humidor, they can guide you to a selection that fits your taste and budget.

Cigars can be like scotch or wine; what is your taste? You've probably seen Mananudo mentioned a number of times. It tends to be mild, but has some really nice flavors such as cinnamon and leather.

A good tobacconist will help you dial in your tastes and you'll have some things to try. However, the old rule still applies; you get what you pay for. I was recently in Puerto Rico, and was looking for a "deal". I found a local cigar maker....very affordable sticks, but yikes, they bit like a rattlesnake.

Good hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy