Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Cigar Afficionados Out There?

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Cigars

Do any of you enjoy smoking cigars?
I have been smoking cigars for a few years now. I really enjoy some of the new flavored cigars that are on the market now. Almost all of the cigars Drew Estates puts out are decent. There is a line of cinnamon flavored cigars by a company called Tatiana. These are quite possibly some of the best smokes I have ever had.

Chad

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
I like cigars a lot. Probably too much, since I'm about out of storage space, not including all the accessories that go with cigars, like cutters, lighters, etc. I am really partial to some of the Fuente cigars. The biggest problem I find is getting the time to just enjoy one.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Once in a blue moon, I'll have a cigar...one of the skinnier ones. Like you, I prefer the flavored ones...cinnamon is one of my faves. I also like CAO's Gold Honey.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
CAO is a great cigar company, and my favorite from them is thir Bellicoso Aniversario 98. An amazing cigar, and a few years ago Cigar Afficianado magazine ranked it higher than almost all of the high-end Cubans it tested. A really great smoke with a light start and a strong smooth, almost cherry-like finish.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My first Post

Have been lurking awhile - this one flushed me out. Cigars are a special area of interest and study for me.
It's hard to beat a Padron, which is a Nicuraguan puro that for me, absolutely nails the frangrance that says "cigar." It's also the perfect match for a Maker's Manhattan...
Also in my humidor are La Gloria Cubanas, El Rico Habano (Dominican Republic and Miami), some Avo's for mild smokes, and for fun, La Aroma De Cuba.

I also wanted to say that I am astonished to find a group that shares so many of my own interests. In my little town in Ohio, I'm something of an... eccentric? I just like being a well-dressed gentleman with a swell hat and some really nifty toys. It helps to have the right understanding wife. ;) A better-padded budget would also be of some help.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
When I was smoking, I did a lot of experementation with different brands. I like a good hand made Honduran or Dominican and in a pinch would accept a Jamacan. My preference, however was Mexican Te Amos with the natural wrapper, at least 50 ring, at least 6 inches, but preferable 7 or 8 inches, for a good half a day smoke. I used to do some mail ordering from Thompson who used to have some really good prices.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Welcome scotrace, and if you think your bankroll suffered before you got here, hang-on man, you're in for a bumpy ride!

As for you being eccentric for dressing like that in your small Ohio town... I get looked at weird because I wear my fedoras in public in NYC. I'd fit in better if I wore a Doo Rag and a big puffy jacket :rolleyes: . As it stands, I'll let my 'eccentricity' reign. The way ashion has been going, everyone will be wearing a fedora in the next few years, and then I'll have to fend off accusations of being a 'poser' just trying to fit in!

Sergei

Gone Home
Scotrace,
You have me dialed in. Your smokes are my favorite as well. My numero uno smoke is La Gloria (wavells). The El Rico is one gorgeous, rich smoke.

My favorite cuban is the Montecristo #2 and the Hoye de Monterrey, Epicure #2.

-Sergei

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Great stuff

Sergei, As soon as Castro is gone and the embargo is lifted (making assumptions), I'll be first in line for a Monetcristo #2! Those Wavells are really great sticks, in my opinion. I get them from JR Cigar at $63 per box. The Padrons I get five at a time from a tobacconist 30 minutes away as a sort of enforced rationing. Otherwise, I burn them up too fast!

IndianaGuybrush, I'd advise getting those cubans out of the fridge. :)
70 degrees F, 70% humidity, spanish cedar. Store them with the carrots, and soon, you'll be smoking expensive carrot-tasting brown thingies that used to be cigars. In a pinch, you can whip up a "tupperdor" with a sealing plastic tub and some florist's oasis soaked in distilled water.
Or smoke 'em up faster, which ain't a bad plan.

And that is my un-asked for advice for the day. Nothing like a smartypants newbie!

Sergei

Gone Home
Wow you and me could be brothers! I do all my shopping at JR. The only place to shop. Occasionally I also order from Holtz. But JR is the man.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Brother

Teach me whip cracking, brother! :)

My closest friend works with the US Department of State. He and I have vowed to learn cracking and do some shooting this summer.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You are welcome... I used a setup like that for some time. Cheap and easy! I've learned a great deal from you and other guys here about my upcoming hat purchase, so I'm happy to return the favor in any way, however small.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Looks like I better start updating the old Out of the Humidor again fellas. I have been so busy trying to make it in the film world, time has been short. However, I think I can start working on a new issue very soon, would be nice to get back in that particular saddle. Oh as for my favorites, ah I have so many, and they are always changing. I have to agree with Sergei on his big fav list, those are indeed wonderful smokes. Ah just the thought of a cuban Monte #2, oh lord! What are your opinions on Fuente's Hemmingway line?

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
I'm a big fan of H. Upmann's. Since I opened up my own business last year I don't have the extra money really put into them that I used to. But occasionally I splurge. I'm also have taken a liking to White Owl cigars and their Blackberry flavored Sports. Quite nice.

Scotrace- What part of Ohio ya from? I'm from Ashtabula- way up in the northeast corner, right on the lake. :)

zeus36

A-List Customer
Actually Tupperware makes the best humidor ! Airtight (but not too esthetic). I use it for deep storage and aging those bad boys.

Read it in a book on cigars.

Zeus ( formerly of Canton, Ohio) (well, Navarre, to be honest)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Navarre!!

Sheesh! Small world indeed. I drive through there weekly.

You know when you buy a box of cigars there's usually a sheet of spanish cedar slipped in there with them? If you save those and put them in your tupperdore they'll also gain the mellowness that cedar aging gives them.
My tupperware humidor is retired to storing leftover pot roast. I bought a 150 capacity cedar humidor on ebay for around $60. Not exactly an Elie Bleu, ( http://cigarrummet.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=C&Category_Code=62 ) but it does the job for me. I'd rather spend the money on the Padrons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21