Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Cigar Afficionados Out There?

And these are not minor differences in price. For example, from two online dealers. One based in Switzerland has Montecristo #4s at $147 for 25 cigars. A British online dealer has these cigars at $16 each - that is, $400 for 25 (officially 191.53 pounds - hey, a 15 pound discount!). The vast majority of this is tax. The rest is mark-up and extra for "EMS" cigars, which i contend doesn't actually mean anything.

bk

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
I too am a pipe smoker, I've tried cigars and aside from the stylish side of them I haven't really been able to find one that I like. Perhaps the selection in these parts just aren't the best.

Though, pipe smoking is a great passtime, my favourite is an aromatic almost toffee flavoured tobacco called Stanwell Melange.

anon`

One Too Many
I recently discovered (or was recommended, to be precise) the Excalibur 1066 from/by Hoyo de Monterrey. Nice, strong maduro that stands up to black coffee, port and highland malts. The 'Dark Knight' size sits nicely between a robusto and a churchill. I do believe this one will make it into regular rotation.

warbird

One Too Many
English Market Selection refers to nothing more tan the color of the wrapper. It is a particular shade which the Englsh foud preferrable for many years. EMS can be found in the states as well. It also is known by other names.

The best place to buy Cuban cigars is Spain. They have the largest selection, lowest taxes and best prices. Altadis, who own Cuban cigars, Habanos S.A., has their world HQ in Spain.

At one time the Euroean distributorship was a company in England. At that time Britain had the first choice on the best of the producs, but that isn't true anymore and hasn't been for some time.

BK is right though, England and Canada, due to their taxes, are probably the two worst places to buy Cuban cigars or cigars in general for that matter.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Here's what I've been looking for lately and have yet to find (at least in these parts):

* Rocky Patel - Vintage
* Tatuaje
* La Flor Dominicana
* Arturo Fuente - Viejo

Had a Rocky Patel 'The Edge' the other night. Eh. It was fine enough but not remarkable to me. Easy, medium body, a touch spicy.

anon`

One Too Many
Not me! (I smoke pipes as well.)

beaucaillou~ I made a trip through all the easily-accessible cigar stores today during my weekly "it's Saturday, now what?" wanderings. You aren't kidding... I looked for all four of those lines and couldn't find any of them either!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Out on deck last night (pics)

I had a few friends around for a dinner party and afterwards we had Port and Cigars on deck as the sun began to set. (La Paz cigar).

Cigar003.jpg

Cigar001.jpg

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
I've only smoked cigars a few times, but I've always enjoyed them and have wanted to learn more about them so I hope you all don't mind my piping in here ..

How are cigars 'graded' and what makes a good quality cigar?
What should one look for in a humidor?
Which tobaccos go with which spirits?

I prefer tobaccos that are smooth, subtle, and chocolaty or nutty, I'm not too keen on sharp or bitter flavours .. any recommendations?

That's a good start I suppose ..

Cheers Gents .. and Ladies :)

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
anon':
did you hit the downtown Rich's? That's the only one I haven't tried - I hit the satellites first. I'm hoping that being larger and having a larger inventory it will result in success, but I'm not holding my breath. I know that Arturo Fuente - Viejo is super, super rare, but I'm tired of my friends back home taunting me about how brilliant it is. I'd like to find it.

Thora:
Cigars are measured by two domensions - the diameter (ring gauge) and length. There are many different shapes based on how the cigar is rolled and how the ends are finished. *Generally* I find that cigars with darker wrappers tend to have richer, darker flavors, and those with lighter wrappers can be a bit more medium bodied and spicy. I'm not sure if that's what you were asking, but I hope it helps.

With cigars I *love* Armagnac and Cognac, but will settle for Bourbon or Whiskey if the former two are absent.

As far as recommendations, I'd say experiment, and make friends with your tobacconist and tell he/she what you want to taste. The Partagas Ltd. Reserve has always been a go-to for me; mocha, spice, hazelnut. But honestly I try to smoke something different everytime. I still have a lot to learn about cigars.

Cheers!

anon`

One Too Many
beaucaillou said:
anon':
did you hit the downtown Rich's? That's the only one I haven't tried - I hit the satellites first. I'm hoping that being larger and having a larger inventory it will result in success, but I'm not holding my breath. I know that Arturo Fuente - Viejo is super, super rare, but I'm tired of my friends back home taunting me about how brilliant it is. I'd like to find it.
I was down there (this is becoming a Saturday ritual for me, it seems) and did a quick look, but didn't specifically ask and didn't see any of the four mentioned. Lots of Fuente boxes, but none that appeared to be Viejo. In hindsight, I probably should've, as they do have at least La Flor Domincana listed on their page. They seem to have quite a bit of regional clout, also: they're an authorized dealer for both OpusX and Jos?© S?©ijas and might be able to get them on order.

Have you been to 82nd Avenue Tobacco yet? That's way out of my way, but their site lists three of your four can't-finds (the Fuente being the exception).

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
anon` said:
I was down there (this is becoming a Saturday ritual for me, it seems) and did a quick look, but didn't specifically ask and didn't see any of the four mentioned. Lots of Fuente boxes, but none that appeared to be Viejo. In hindsight, I probably should've, as they do have at least La Flor Domincana listed on their page. They seem to have quite a bit of regional clout, also: they're an authorized dealer for both OpusX and Jos?© S?©ijas and might be able to get them on order.

Have you been to 82nd Avenue Tobacco yet? That's way out of my way, but their site lists three of your four can't-finds (the Fuente being the exception).

I gave Cacklewack a S?©ijas for his birthday. He seemed happy enough with it. I haven't smoked one before.

I haven't been out there. Field trip!

anon`

One Too Many
Apparently the S?©ijas sticks are very good, and very limited. I've not tried one either, but I figure that if Rich's can get those with some regularity, there's probably very little that they cannot get if you ask nicely enough.

And in a second search, Rich's, Cascade & 82nd Ave are all listed as Tatuaje retailers. I believe this calls for a tobacconist crawl with great attention to detail than I obviously paid!

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
beaucaillou said:
Here's what I've been looking for lately and have yet to find (at least in these parts):

* Rocky Patel - Vintage
* Tatuaje
* La Flor Dominicana
* Arturo Fuente - Viejo

Had a Rocky Patel 'The Edge' the other night. Eh. It was fine enough but not remarkable to me. Easy, medium body, a touch spicy.

I'm pretty sure Rich's downtown has all of those. If it doesn't have it...no one in the Northwest does! I know I've had the Patel, La Flor and I'm pretty sure I've had that Viejo. I was just there today and received free cigars!

I smoke cigars almost exclusively. Every once and a while I smoke a pipe.

Matt

S

Samsa

Just returned to cigar smoking from a rather lengthy hiatus by smoking a couple Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8s. Glad to be back!

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
beaucaillou said:
Cigars are measured by two domensions - the diameter (ring gauge) and length. There are many different shapes based on how the cigar is rolled and how the ends are finished. *Generally* I find that cigars with darker wrappers tend to have richer, darker flavors, and those with lighter wrappers can be a bit more medium bodied and spicy. I'm not sure if that's what you were asking, but I hope it helps.

With cigars I *love* Armagnac and Cognac, but will settle for Bourbon or Whiskey if the former two are absent.

As far as recommendations, I'd say experiment, and make friends with your tobacconist and tell he/she what you want to taste. The Partagas Ltd. Reserve has always been a go-to for me; mocha, spice, hazelnut. But honestly I try to smoke something different everytime. I still have a lot to learn about cigars.

Cheers!

Thank you, BC ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR