Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

any health/exercise aficionados out there?

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
And I do one sit up per day - the first half when I get up in the morning, the second when I go to bed at night ;) .

In reality, I teach Pilates and Yoga for a living. I love to do dance and martial arts. Any exercise which doesn't require 100% mental engagement (and truth be told, an above average amount of flexibility) bores me in the winking of an eye.

unaspenser

New in Town
Since nobody's mentioned www.sparkpeople.com yet, I will. It's a great free site that has meal plans, calorie tracking, exercise plans (even workout videos!) and exercise trackers, and great forums for support. You can set up groups based on interest. If anybody would like to start up a Fedora Lounge group over there, let me know! My username on that site is Shekure.

enigmata-wood

New in Town
Poi

I recently took up skipping again to get back to 'match weight' but then had to stop due to an ankle injury. I started experimenting with a near enough alternative and came up with sock poi.
Basically you put fishing weights inside a tennis ball - inside a long sock, and swing it rhythmically. 8oz per poi is enough for a good cardio workout in 30 minutes, trust me. I doesn't have to be fancy.

Mav

A-List Customer
Controlled carb diet, a lot of dog- walking, and crunches/ pushups/ light dumbell work 3 times a week.

Big_e

Practically Family
I do alot of bicycling on my down time and am working towards being able to ride a metric century (about 62 miles). If I can get to a full century (100 miles) that'd be great!
Ernest

Hereward

One of the Regulars
I have spent my life training and now also go to Pilates once a week with my wife. It is great for inner strength but hard on us blokes who aren't naturally as flexible as the ladies.

Inner strength is important and many (if not most) go for looking good rather than being it and having looking it as a side advantage. Unfortunately, this is the modern world's way: show rather than substance.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hereward: Inner strength is important and many (if not most) go for looking good rather than being it and having looking it as a side advantage. Unfortunately, this is the modern world's way: show rather than substance.

I fully agree. I can't say, with my condition (CFS), that I got much to 'show', but - inside, that's a whole other story.;)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap That's a significant measurement change SP- CONGRATS on already seeing good results from all your hard work in a short period of time. I'm certain you are shaping up nicely SP, and with that kind of commitment and dedication you WILL accomplish your fitness goals.

Just to compare after reading this, I took my upper arm measurements (just got back from my swim workout). My left bicep is 12-1/4, the right is 12 ( I'm left handed so the left is the stronger hand and arm, thus the larger measurement). Are these measurements good for a girl when compared to other ladies, or even yours or other gents?? I have no idea...[huh]

Slim Portly said:
I should add that with the 100 Push Ups program (along with the dumb bell exercises), not only have I greatly improved my endurance, I have also added one inch to the circumference of each upper arm in just six weeks, going from 13 ¼ inches to 14 ¼ inches each.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Please do, Baby.;) Though don't sell yourself short Sir- you are already broader in the chest area to start with, and very nicely too;), one can see that in your no jacket, dress shirt pics that you have posted on FL. This gent seems much smaller than you are naturally...

Slim Portly said:
I'll post a picture when I look like this gentleman:

Kettlebells%2B1.jpg

Katzenjammer

Familiar Face
Like others have suggested, I try to work exercise into my daily regimen (since I'm far too flaky to make it to the gym on a regular basis).

I've got a 20-minute walk to the train station in the morning, and a 20-minute walk to my office from the station following that. In the evening I reverse the process. Not the huge workout, but doing five days a week helps.

Never much of a weightlifter, but I've started a 30-minute workout with light weights (5 lbs.) every other day or so. I haven't developed a Charles Atlas physique, but it's increased my energy level and reduced my waistline a bit.

I've also tried to track my daily calories eaten/burned through livestrong.com, but, like going to a gym, it's a difficult routine for me to stick to. I'm sure there are a hundred other sites that serve a similar purpose.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I have had a YMCA membership fr many years, they have plenty of classes and exercise equipment to cover anyone's interest. I lap swim, walk and kickboard in the outdoor pool three times a week, take a Zumba and a Ballroom Dance class each once a week, take Pilates class and do free weights twice a week. Added a bit more key spot toning exercises for thighs and stomache in the last several weeks, and may pop into a spinning class one of these days. Lately, I've added an evening out of Ballroom Dancing after the class at the Y is finished.

I eat no junk food or diet foods. With basically two workouts a day five days a week, (I usually take Sat and Sun off from exercising) my metabolism is kicked in pretty well, so that I can eat pretty much whatever I want - I just choose to eat really good food, and very excellent food- but small amounts of it. Learned a lot in the Lose it for Life book by Steve Arterburn, and the LOL classes (same class taken twice). As was said to me by the instructor/counselor in the classes- "We don't love the food, we enjoy the food, we don't worship the food. Food is not our friend, nor is it our foe, its just fuel."

This routine has gotten me in probably the best shape of my adult life, and at almost 52yo I'm consistently pegged for being much younger.

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
I have a blended workout performed four days a week. The "A" portion is performed Wed and Sat, the "B" portion Thu and Sun.

A: Kettlebell press
Planche progression
Pullup progression
Hanging leg raise progression
Front lever progression

B: Kettlebell swings
Kettlebell get-ups
Bodyweight single leg squats progression
Back bridge progression
One arm pushup progression

"Progression" programs start at very low levels and advance through stages to more difficult work. In this way bodyweight exercises become strength enhancing rather than endurance developing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points