Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any help identifying this overcoat?

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
This coat belonged to my grandfather, I believe around the 1940s-50s. But unsure.

There is really nothing identifiable in terms of tags except for the little bit I photographed on the inside pocket.

I figure this would be the place to shed some light on it.
IMG-1793.jpg
IMG-1795.jpg
IMG-1794.jpg
IMG-1796.jpg
IMG-1797.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
There have been over the decades hundreds, perhaps thousands, of brands selling overcoats so it's basically impossible to tell whence it came. The tag you photographed is a union tag. It looks like an excellent coat and I'm pleased to see it's half-lined, which is not common these days.

Peacoat

Bartender
I don't know when the coat belonged to your grandfather, nor the brand, but this is a 1949 overcoat. It is 100% wool and is a warm coat, as you have probably determined.

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
I don't know when the coat belonged to your grandfather, nor the brand, but this is a 1949 overcoat. It is 100% wool and is a warm coat, as you have probably determined.

Damn, that's pretty precise. Can I ask how you determined this?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Only useful thing i can add is that this kind of fabric is called "dogtooth" or "houndtooth" pattern.
It looks like avery nice coat, fits you really well.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have now looked at the thread cited above (Dinerman's thread) and compared it to my own references. I see nothing in that thread to convince me this is not a 1949 overcoat. With 1/2 of the label sewn into the lining, that removes many of the clues available to us. Perhaps you could rip out the union label and let us see all of the label? That, perhaps, would give us a definitive answer. But, then, maybe the definitive date isn't important enough to you to rip out the label?

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
I have now looked at the thread cited above (Dinerman's thread) and compared it to my own references. I see nothing in that thread to convince me this is not a 1949 overcoat. With 1/2 of the label sewn into the lining, that removes many of the clues available to us. Perhaps you could rip out the union label and let us see all of the label? That, perhaps, would give us a definitive answer. But, then, maybe the definitive date isn't important enough to you to rip out the label?
80F3FEAF-BE43-4FEE-8DC1-7F8A2AD5DB40.jpeg

Jules Myers

One of the Regulars
Yes, after seeing the tag in its entirety, I still think it is a 1949 coat. But you wanted to know the manufacturer. Can't help you there.

No sweat, I appreciate it. I figured without a label the manufacturer's identity was likely a bridge too far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk