Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any idea how to choose/use cologne..

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
.. when you have no sense of smell? I have never been able to smell for as long as I can remember. I can only smell extremely harsh stuff, like rubbing alcohol. I don't know what smells good, or how much to use. My method has always been to stay clean, i.e., shower, deodorant, etc (For the love of God, I hope everyone does this, sense of smell or not!). Even then, a lot of cleaning agents have a smell. Maybe I could follow recommendations (if any) from Classic Style mag. when it comes out, or other forum members? This way I can avoid the common stuff. Any recommendations? I hear a lot of women prefer the clean smell over the cologne smell anyway... Also, I don't have a girlfriend, so I don't have a designated cologne purchaser. :p

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ClassicIsBetter said:
Also, I don't have a girlfriend, so I don't have a designated cologne purchaser. :p

Do you have a friend who's a girl? They can give you the feminine perspective, or the girl at the cologne counter, especially if she's cute.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
I have a few, many more at work. I could bring samples and conduct an informal poll opinion. Good idea. Most girls here behind the counter are cute. I haven't the macking skills to swing that into a phone number in my hand but practice doesn't hurt me any. :D

carebear

You don't even need samples, just ask what scents they like "on a man". When you get a consensus, wear that.

Why a female? Personally, I'm happy with the smell of soap and "me" on me. I wear cologne for the ladies, oh yes, the ladies.... :D

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I really hope you don't mind me 'butting' in, but, here's something you may want to keep in mind...just because you have a hard time smelling fragrances, doesn't mean you should be purchasing something harsh. NO girl/lady that I know of likes a man who 'reeks' of cologne. Sample cards are fine, but, the cologne also works with the chemistry of your skin so if you think you have one that you like, spray some on the inside of your wrist and wait a few minutes, sometimes you'll find out that the smell really doesn't agree with you.
Here's a few of my favorites on men:
Obscession: Here's something few ladies will resist ;)
Nautica (I don't know the name, but it has a light blue liquid) This one is more on the lighter side and smells absolutely great
And

mysterygal said:
I really hope you don't mind me 'butting' in, but, here's something you may want to keep in mind...just because you have a hard time smelling fragrances, doesn't mean you should be purchasing something harsh. NO girl/lady that I know of likes a man who 'reeks' of cologne. Sample cards are fine, but, the cologne also works with the chemistry of your skin so if you think you have one that you like, spray some on the inside of your wrist and wait a few minutes, sometimes you'll find out that the smell really doesn't agree with you.
Nautica (I don't know the name, but it has a light blue liquid) This one is more on the lighter side and smells absolutely great
And

How about simple things like Bay Rum or Old Spice? :D
I tend to like Sung, Gio and another I can't remember but put on this morning---go figure. [huh] :eusa_doh: I tried about twenty fragrances before I settled on that one too. lol

Regards,

J

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Zach R. said:
Well, I don't really care what other guys think of my smell. lol

Would you wear a scent that you didn't like just because a woman liked it?

carebear

mysterygal said:
And

Ironically, I wear both Obsession and Nautica now. Have worn Cool Water and a few others.

All the scents I wear were favorites of old girlfriends and seem to go well with "me". One girl I dated whispered "mmm, ex-boyfriend" in my ear as we danced. I was understandably confused and she later explained that she, like every other girl, had an ex-boyfriend who wore Obsession. His loss was my gain.

There's something about talking to a girl and having her suddenly lean in and sniff your chest and make "mmmmm" sounds. Opens up new conversational gambits.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Zach R. said:
Probably.

Interesting. I couldn't imagine wearing something(clothing, scent, hair style, etc..) that I didn't like, just to please a woman or anyone for that matter. These are the things that constitute a persons style and they should be their own free choice.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
mysterygal said:
And

I don't wear cologne at all. Believe me, I wouldn't want to be around anything that I can smell, given my severe lack of smell. If I can smell it, someone please call Hazmat.

I'd wear anything that a girlfriend wanted me to wear. Not because I'm a doormat, far from it... If I can't smell it, what do I care? As long as it is not some hybrid combination consisting of poo from the neighbor's dog, it doesn't bother me too much. Even if it is the greatest cologne in the world, too much of it won't do you any good. So even after I find a cologne that is "right," I still have to determine how much to use. The whole gamut makes cologne seemingly not worthwhile, but I'd like a nice stash of it in case I need it.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
One other point to remember, is that scents smell differently on everyone due to body chemistry.

So I would not necessarily recommend the 'ask people what they wear and then wear that' method.

I would get samples, wear them for a day and then ask people at work..etc....that way you do the 'which one of these is most 'me'?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
One other point to remember, is that scents smell differently on everyone due to body chemistry.

So I would not necessarily recommend the 'ask people what they wear and then wear that' method.

I would get samples, wear them for a day and then ask people at work..etc....that way you do the 'which one of these is most 'me'?

Good point, and one I was about to mention. It's really about what the individual that wears it likes, and how it wears on the individual.
I personally never liked Obsession,... just too mainstream for me maybe, as I have always liked spicier and woodier scents. ( It's really very hard to describe smells!) Anyway, I've always liked colognes with cedar and sandalwood notes for instance. Or with hints of spice. Nothing flowery or sharp, piercing, and pungent.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sandalwood is just a great smell.
I wear Bay Rum, but not for its smell; rather, for how good it feels after I shave.
As for cologne, wear it sparingly. Less is certainly more, but that goes without saying.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
I never did like mainstream things much. I wouldn't mind going out of my way to find samples of obscure colognes that is recommended on the forum. I'll just try them out at work.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ClassicIsBetter said:
I never did like mainstream things much. I wouldn't mind going out of my way to find samples of obscure colognes that is recommended on the forum. I'll just try them out at work.

There is a thread here that discusses many non-mainstream options...might be worth a read through to see if something sparks interest.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10023

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran