Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other gals growing their hair out?

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Yep,I'm taking pre-natals with a folic acid supplement prescribed by my doc and my hair is growing like a weed.The average hair growth is 1/2 an inch a month and I swear my growth has nearly doubled that. I suspect it won't take me long to grow my new do.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My hair is very long now, about 4 inches below shoulder length. Since my last trim, about 10 weeks ago, my hair has grown at least 2 inches. I have no idea why is grows so fast but it does. I have a nice wave to it though so I guess I am lucky, though I'll probably chop it off into a bob next summer.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I took a supplement we carry at my work, that helps with hair skin and nails... When I took it regularly I had just cut my hair to a chin length bob (ala Reese Witherspoon in Sweet Home Alabama) and it grew to my shoulders in less than a month :eek: I don't take it regularly now and my hair growth GREATLY sloooowed down.
I'm going to start taking it regularly again, because I want to grow it out some. (I got it cut again into another chin length bob, in august, and I've been growing it out since then... Now it's down to my shoulders) I feel that it's just too short to get the curls I want for my vintage look. (I feel like when I curl my whole head I look like a little girl--even with red lipstick >.<)

SwingTime

New in Town
I'm actually recovering from a bad haircut that I had some months ago, now that I have grown the length I have desired for some time I've become really picky as to who cuts my hair.One thing that someone recommended me was to brush my hair every night and in front of a mirror and it actually worked for me.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
olive bleu said:
well, you all make me cry. I just spent a year &1/2 growing my hair out. I had a pixie cut last year and grew it into a "louise brooks"" bob.The problem was that style looks best with straight hair and my hair is wavy.( ok ..so its a rats nest). so i decided to grow it long. well 2 days ago i decided that it was bothering me( thick & hot,falling out in handfuls, etc), and went to my hairdresser and got it chopped off again! That poor man spent 10 minutes grilling me about why I wanted to do this,and then i watched as clumps of dark auburn curls fell to the floor!:eek: it is kind of cute, and someone at work said i look like betty boop, so i guess it could be worse. but not much.
How can i tell my hairdresser that i was only having a moment of temporary insanity( it happens frequently) and that i really need to start in earnest to grow it back out.That poor, poor man.

Olive bleu you sound just like me!!lol

I too go back and forth between super short pixie hair and longer hair. I just cut it off again yesterday and already am planning to grow it back. It is a vicious cycle:rage: I hate that "in-between" stage, because I look like Herman Munster!:eek: I am determined now (yeah, right) not to cut it off until the holiday's are over.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
rubyredlocks said:
LD-For layers I think it really depends on your hair texture.If the hair is thick and coarse leaning toward a wide bushy look I think layers that are no shorter than chin length work to add texture to the ends while leaving enough weight that it doesn't expand any further. Now if it's thick,but fine you probably need layers to add volume then I recommend no shorter than the bottom of the ear lobe,so the length still tucks behind the ear.
Side note:These suggestions follow where the shortest length starts and the rest should be blended down.

Thanks for that! It's thick in the sense of there being so much of it. The texture is normal but a little dry (due to colouring) so it gives it a coarse disposition. But it really is the amount that is given me the bother.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am growing my hair out, now it is below shoulder-length. It is super thick and I have a ton of it as well. It is coarse and dry, never sleek and smooth. Layers are a must to keep it from looking like a pyramid. All of the stylists I've been to have "books", either hardcover or magazines with pictures of salon hairstyles. Every one of them has at least one Veronica Lake or Lauren Bacall style amidst the asymmetrical chops and whiplash styles shown. I show the 40s style to the stylist and I am always satisfied.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
26A.jpg

This isn't exactly the best picture of me, but, just another reminder of why NOT to dye our hair! I've only gotten it this long after about 6months (it was barely touching my shoulder), when usually in 6 months it would have been 10x as long :(
Sally's beauty supply sells this hair conditioner called 'bone marrow'...sounds gross, but it really does work. It's a once a week deep conditioner that shows great results.

MinnieRose

Familiar Face
I like my hair longer - at least a couple of inches past my shoulders. Then a month ago I decided maybe I should get it cut shorter since I'm over 40. Bad mistake. :cry: I hate my hair when it's layered even though people at work say it looks nice.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I'm trying to grow my hair too, my goal is waist length. I hear from a friend that any longer and there starts to be problems with sitting on one's hair and the like, that would be uncomfortable:D

The best advice I've gotten so far is to moisturise like there's no tomorrow, especially if you live in cold or dry climates, and to handle your hair as though it were (isn't this appropriate:) ) a piece of vintage lace.

This does wonderfully for keeping breakage at bay, but it doesn't seem to speed up growth, any suggestions for this?

Cheers Ladies

lavendar lady

New in Town
I am trying

My childhood was one where i was not able to have long hair.I was always getting my hair all tangled.So my mom had my hair cut short.I have never since then been able to grow it past my pic. I am trying now to grow it long,but not to long.

L.L.

TabbyKat

New in Town
I am obsessive about growing my hair out. It was to my knees when I was five, then wham, all the way to the tops of my ears. People used to tell Mum she had an adorable son. How embarassing! For the last year and a half I have not trimmed off more than four inches. My hair is at waist length now, and I am going for terminal length or until I get sick of it. Heh.

Biotin helps with hair growth and nail growth, just watch out because it makes SOME people break out. Don't brush it when its wet, that weakens the strands and causes breakage. Olive oil is VERY good for keeping hair soft and shiny, and helps get tangles out. Just use very sparingly. Scalp massages for several minutes a day help hair growth.

I'm full of hair growing tips! Best thing for hair growth : Patience!lol

Girl Friday

Practically Family
My hair is about shoulder length, but I have kind of been thinking of cutting it short, like a 20's bob. But my hair is curly, so it usually just looks like a fro when it is that short. Of course once I decide to cut my hair it starts looking really good, so I have changed my mind again!
And I have decided that bobby pins are a girls best friend!;)

sararebecca

New in Town
I'm growing my hair out! I have super-thick curly hair and a little over 3 years ago I got about 11 inches cut off to donate to locks of love. It was a cute 'do (think Meg Ryan in City of Angels, but brown and way thicker, lol) but as it grew out, it was like this craaazy bozo the clown wig or something :eek: so now it's layered and down to the middle of my back (or a little higher). I always thought it'd be pretty if it were really long, but once it gets to a certain point it just seems to stop and I end up getting tired of it and getting it cut too much! Aaaaghh having hair like mine is such a pain :rage:

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I am constantly trying to grow my hair out. I want it down to my butt again. Right now its down to the middle of my back. It's so hard waiting for it to grow so long!! I have been growing it for 3 years now. :(

Pinkie

New in Town
I feel like I am perpetually growing my hair out! I used to have long hair in high school and after I graduated I cut it short for a change. Since then I have cut it really short and grown it and cut it... and so on. Now I'm in that weird stage where its shoulder length, I got it trimmed with some layers around the bottom so that I can let it grow and it will look good growing out. I am also seriously considering extensions. My friend is my hairstylist and she does the quality extensions that are made of real hair that is attached to the hair with some kind of rice bond. They are very expensive but they last for a whole year. Don't know about that yet, though, might have to run it by the husband first...

Miss Brill

One Too Many
This time last year, my hair was almost to my bra in the back, then around mid-December I chopped it off about to my chin. It would not grow until I started taking the prenatal vitamins a month ago & now it is down almost to my shoulders. I think my hair wouldn't grow those months because I had anemia, which I'd never thought about.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I've been growing out my bangs (and hair) for about a year now, and even though my bangs are down to my chin they are still a pain in the butt! The rest of my hair is about 3-4 inches past my shoulders.

Since I've grown my hair out I've noticed that it tangles like CRAZY. No joke, it tangles when it's wet, when it's dry, when I just brushed it out, etc. It's so annoying to have to pick little dreds out of my hair all the time.

I'm going to get it cut shoulder length in the next month so I can wear it straight but not look silly. I think my hair is way too long at this length when it's straight.

I look loads better with long hair but it's such a pain in the behind!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy