Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other gals growing their hair out?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I've been growing my hair out all year and while I'm making progress I can't help but wishing I had hair like one of those Chrissy dolls from the 1970s where you could just pull her hair out as long as you wanted immediately.

My bangs are nearly long enough to tuck behind my ear and the back is down to about the nape of my neck. Another couple of months and I should be where I want to be but it's hard to wait.

Anyone else going through the pain of growing your hair out?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I am! And It's so frustrating because it's in between styles. I need to get a trim and layers put in but I'm paranoid they will cut too much off!

Elaina

One Too Many
Same here. I need to do something to my hair: it's been dyed black, dyed brown and grew 6 inches since I've last had a cut.

So it's frizzy, my grey is showing up, and it's long wihtout a style. I want to get it to my waist, but I'm thinking of chopping it all off and restarting.

Elaina

Naama

Practically Family
I'm growing my bangs out..... I thought it would be a good idea to get bangs, so one day, when I was really bored, I cut them myself. Bad, bad, bad idea I tell you........ :eusa_doh: It looks horrible :( I know, it's not the same....

Naama

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Elaina I feel with you. For years I coloured my hair, even had it bleached and stuff. Than I decided to let it grow out cause it was all damaged. It took me years and my hair looked sort of strange with bright red broken endings. Since I wanted to keep long hair I was having it cut only little by little. But in the end it was all worth it and I have healthy hair now in an even colour.

Until I was like 13 my Mom insisted on my hair beeing short cut all the time till I started rebellion and let it grow long. It was horrible cause as soon my bangs started to grow they got so long that they were hanging in my eyes, but not long enough to put them behind my ears. Growing out hairs is horror!

Snookie

Practically Family
I'm growing my hair too. I had a chin-length bob for a couple years, which was a nice, easy style for my fine hair, but when I started getting more hardcore about vintage when I dance it didn't work at all, so I started growing my hair. It's a little past my shoulders now, and like Lauren, I'm in desparate need of some shaping.

With my hair type havine longer hair is much more work, but I'm really enjoying it. And enjoying saving the money on haircuts.

When I've grown out bangs and supershort hair in the past, I've invested in lots of barettes and headbands and such toys to ease the pain.

Rosie

One Too Many
I am. I decided to be all natural from now on and cut my hair down to one inch in January. I'm at about 8 inches now but, with curly corkscrew hair, that's very short. I figure I should be good about next year this time. :eek:

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I have been on a merry-go-round with my hair for the past year!

I always wore my hair long and vintage style. I can remember starting to set my own hair when I was about 10, it was just something I did naturally because my mom and her sisters hairstyles were always a '40s version of how they wore their hair when they were younger, and I grew seeing my mom and aunts set their hair religiously every day or two.

About 5 years ago (after my 4th child) I went super short pixie style. I loved it and it actually looked good on me. I wore it that way until about 2 years ago, when I rediscovered my Daniela Turdich '40's hairstyle books, and have wanted to go back to longer hair I could set. Since then, I have let it grow, gotten frustrated when it was in that "in-between" stage, where it was too long and untidy to be a pixie but to short to curl or wave properly, so I had it cut again, then regretted that I didn't let it grow! and then repeated the same thing about 5 times in the past year:rage:

I need to figure out what I want to do, I love the look of curled and waved hair, but I am so out of practice with setting it every few days. I am very frustrated with myself....

Brooksie

One Too Many
I am also growing my hair out, I have had a chin length bob for a while now and it is now about one inch from touching my shoulders. I am not growing out my bangs though, I am going to keep those short. my goal is to end up with a sort of a Betty Page look.

Brooksie

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I accidentally grew mine out - I had a bob about two years ago and as it's been growing I've been cutting less and less of it. Now it's about 3 inches below my shoulders! And it looks great for now, although long hair can be such a pain.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I am growing it out until my wedding so that I have some length to do an up-do with. I want to cut it right now, but can't and yet I want to keep growing it until after the QM so that I can do a finger roll style. But I may end up trimming it and then chopping it to my chin before Christmas.

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
i've grown mine out except for my bangs which if too long look limp and draggy. can't have too long hair when one is "over a certain age" dont want to look like "mutton trying to be a lamb", know what i mean?

rsg

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I haven't had a hair cut in over a year, since my hair was cut to around chin length. Trouble is, my hair doesn't like being long - it goes all wispy round my face. And I also seem to lose a lot every time I was. Though of course I only was every two or 3 days so when I do it might be 2 or 3 days' worth together. And the hair in my brush is twice as long so it looks like twice as much? [huh]

But it's now past my shoulders, and my previously bettie bangs are down to my chin. I also need a trim and short layers, but, like Lauren, I'm really scared they'll cut loads off.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Going to a hairdresser is always scary. Guys, if the cut is bad enough, can just shave their heads and start over, for us, well, it's a bit different :) When going for a trim I always show with my fingers how much I want them to take off and explain to them that I'm trying to grow my hair out. Usually then they do a good job. Also, don't go to super cuts or any of those kinds of places. I took my daughter to one of those places and I could of done a better job at cutting her hair than the lady did!
I'm growing my hair out as well but it's been torture almost with how long it's taking! I've done a lot of damage as well to it by coloring. Although, with using good quality hair products, I do see a great change and it's growing a little faster than it was.
bangs: I totally agree with the barrets and headband suggestion. They work great to keep the hair out of your eyes until they naturally go back on their own.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I actually have been fairly happy with Supercuts and Hair Cuttery. But I never try for anything complicated, usually I just say "layers somewhere between chin and shoulder length" and let the girl go to it.

My hair is super thick so the important thing is she cut enough out that it lays down instead of out.:eusa_doh:

Elaina

One Too Many
I have gone to the same haridresser for about 6 years now, from her start at Toni and Guy, to her doing it out of her house, to her in a coowned salon. I can't see without my glasses and she ALWAYS does a good job. Many times I've gone in not knowing what I wanted and she made me happy.

She is moving to Ohio the end of the year, so I need to go before she does.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I decided to grow out my chin length bob a few years ago, because I hate blow drying, and it looked gross without it.

It is now waist length, and I want at least 6" more. I actually spend less time on my hair now, and less money in cuts and styling products.

anna_newman

New in Town
My bangs are nearly long enough to tuck behind my ear

I am SO sympathetic. seems like I have been growing out betty page bangs for 200 years (really only about 1 year), and Im SO tired of them getting in my eyes, but I too have reached the tuck behind my ears or (gasp) catch up in a high ponytail stage, and Im really happy about it.

I recently found a hairdresser who can do something with my wavy but too fine hair so it doesnt stick out in 14 directions while somehow simultaneously being flattened to my head. I just wish he was cheaper (ouch!!). I guess you get what you pay for. this guy is the first person to tell me the problem with styling my bangs is that that hair literally grows straight out in front of me--no wonder those curling charmingly around my face in a frame styles never worked after the first few days.

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
i just had my hair trimmed a couple of weeks ago and i think she didn't put in short enough layers so this morning after washing it i just go so frustrated i cut my own layers. now before everybody goes OH NO, i will say i have been cutting my own hair for years.

i also bought these

e5_1.JPG
at walmart and have my hair really tightly curled tonight, have no idea what will be like tomorrow, i may end up with a very curly ponytail!

does anyone else save their hairbrush hair like they used to do to make your own rats?

lara

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy