Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other gals growing their hair out?

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
I've been growing out my hair for almost a year. I had it mid-length for a while and loved it but had some "Do you remember when your hair was long?" comments from the guys in my life. It was always long and I needed a change but I guess I traumatized them. lol

Fleur de vanite (sorry, I can't figure out how to add the accent!), your avitar is so lovely!

melbournian

New in Town
I've been growing my hair out since the beginning of 2007, when I had a very arty asymmetrical cut, with the short side about an inch long in little layers, and the long side about jaw length in layers. I had to keep trimming the long side to even out, but now it's just below shoulder length. I got it permed for the first time last year too and now have wavy hair (usually my hair is dead straight), which I quite like, so when I straighten my hair it goes longer again. It's just hard to resist the temptation of a short cut sometimes...

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I'm growing mine out, and have been for the last year. My head was completely shaved last fall!

Right now I'm evenly at chin-length, a little shorter in the back so it grows in gracefully. I'm sort of past the bob stage, which I was wearing while the top layers grew in to match the bottom ones. I'm also losing the bangs...maybe.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I've been growing my hair out since I joined FL in March 09- its now November 1st, 09. I had a perm done just before in Feb, and its really grown out now, but I kind of like the crown being flat with no perm, very thirties!

Here a couple of pics:
March 09
359852133.jpg
September 09
374295872.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
Uhm...yes, again, again.:rolleyes: Cut away layers to grow out one length, had a lot of summer damage or maybe from metal clips. Cut layers back in to avoid losing too much length. Kinda like the layers so now I'm keeping them but think I still want to grow my hair long. Other days I wish I had a smaller face so I'd look good with really short hair and still look feminine. This would of course require a change in hair growth pattern; Unfotunately it's quite straight and coarse and grows in an upward and out pattern so it won't ever look feminine without some length.:(

It's just hard to resist the temptation of a short cut sometimes...

I know, thankfully I can't afford the maintenance of a shorter cut either.

Anwen

New in Town
I've spent more than half my life in the crop-grow cycle. I've been growing it for about two and a half years now, and it's down to my bra strap at the back, yay! I have a tendency also to dye my hair black and then get fed up of it and try to bleach it out which results in hair death and subsequent cropping. It's currently long and black, though, and I love it. I get occasional pining-for-a-different-colour moments, but I'm learning to ignore them.

I'd like to grow it a bit longer, though it might get hard to do curling etc, but I don't always have the energy for curling (as I have to wash it early enough to be able to set it when it's nearly dry and sleep on it, and I can never remember...) and it looks much better long-and-not-done than midlength-and-not-done, sort of thing. I've also discovered that if I plait it when it's nearly dry and then sleep on it, and brush it out with my natural-bristle brush in the morning, it gets an amazing amount of volume.

I'm also under strict instructions from at least two friends not to have it all cut off or start trying to colour it anything other than black...

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I'm experimenting with growing my hair really long again. I had it down to my waist all through high school but I've kept it shorter since then. It's always been a variation of short or medium, now it's long. Here's a high school pic for fun too :)
4069166263_75dda240b5_m.jpg
4069166801_a442cc30d3_m.jpg
4069925086_6f9b042a22_m.jpg
4069923440_3712f5a652_m.jpg

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
The trouble that I'm having now is that I feel like my hair is too long for most vintage styles. I can't really pincurl it properly and I long for the cute short styles I'm seeing everywhere here. What's a girl to do?

analiebe

A-List Customer
Audrey Horne said:
The trouble that I'm having now is that I feel like my hair is too long for most vintage styles. I can't really pincurl it properly and I long for the cute short styles I'm seeing everywhere here. What's a girl to do?

theres a great reprinted early 20's book available on amazon...(i'll hunt down the title for you...) it shows how to achieve "short" hairstyles with long hair... it was an instruction manual for the edwardian long-haired woman who wanted to have the look of the new 20's styles without losing her locks... it might teach some hints you could apply to vintage hairstyles of the 30's & 40's too, maybe?

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
analiebe said:
theres a great reprinted early 20's book available on amazon...(i'll hunt down the title for you...) it shows how to achieve "short" hairstyles with long hair... it was an instruction manual for the edwardian long-haired woman who wanted to have the look of the new 20's styles without losing her locks... it might teach some hints you could apply to vintage hairstyles of the 30's & 40's too, maybe?
Thanks, that sounds great!

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Your hair is gorgeous Audrey! If you can keep the length and try some tips in the book analiebe mentioned I'd bet you can have the best of both worlds with hairstyles. ;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
So, I had a pixie back during the spring and summer, and now I'm growing it out some, but can't decide what to do with it. Currently the nape has grown out, and my sides are about to the bottom of my ear. The top has been cut into shorter layers, so naturally the nape area is probably the longest. I can't decide if I should leave it as it is so I have something to "do" with the back of my neck area, or if it looks too "mullet" and I should go for a Louise Brooks type bob, and let the top & sides grow out over the back. Opinions?

This was the cut about a year ago, same type bob I'm thinking of, similar length:
3983721791_d197194ef0.jpg

This is my hair now - this was taken over a month ago so it is longer, but same type look. I don't usually wear it flipped up/out like this. Is it too mullet-y?
3980335153_55ddbd488c.jpg

My bangs are just past my brows, and my hair is quite thick and naturally wavy.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
I'm in your same boat, fortworthgal. My summer super short 'do is growing out, and now at the point of awkward and sloppy. What I hate most is the Mrs. Brady mullet that happens; I can't walk around with that thing hanging onto my neck. Last year, I trimmed it myself in a moment of frustration. Just took the scissors and began chopping back there, till I couldn't see anymore wisps. Funnily enough, the same evening, at an art gallery event, I got several glowing comments on my hair cut. lol

In the past, I've had one-length bobs, and enjoyed them - easy to style, easy to look sleek and well-groomed. For now, I see a home trim coming up again real soon, maybe even today. I'm at the point of stopping any stranger on the street and handing them the scissors.....;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I'm so glad someone else knows what I'm talking about! lol

I have previously grown out pixie cuts - had my hair short for the past 10 years or so in varying degrees - and I think the bob is the easiest way to do it, by letting the top & sides grow out over the back. For some reason that hair at the nape is what drives me batty! So, I *totally* hear you on the Mrs. Brady mullet/shag thing back there. I'm thinking about doing the LB bob... even though my hair is wavy and thick, but I don't mind flat ironing it. It also isn't all one-length, but it wasn't in the other pic I posted either.

Then when it grows out a touch I can style it like this!
391.jpg

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
If I could get a Marcel like that, I'd be one happy girl!

Stylists (and even my daughter, when I ask her to give me a trim), get all worried when I say "the shorter the better, in the back." As long as I have something to play with in the front, where it matters (and I can reach it and see what I'm doing!), it's good.
My hair is pretty thick too, like yours I imagine, so it gets bulky fast. The sleekness of an LB seems to suit me (plus, did I mention how easy it is?). ;)

Unlike a lot of men, apparently, my husband prefers a very short style, at least on me. Just this morning he asked if I would be getting a hair cut soon. Maybe I will, we'll see.

I'd love to consult with someone adept at 20s, early 30s style, but that's probably not going to happen. :(

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Okay I think we could be sisters! My husband too loves the short hair, and I'm the same way about the nape vs. the front. Length at my neck seems to drive me crazy (when my hair was really short I used to get it clippered!) If my front is at least jaw-length, I can do pretty much anything with it, including a pretty good facsimile of 1940s victory rolls. My hair is the same way - very thick and very bulky, which is why I've got so much layers and texturizing, and why a pixie cut works so well for me. Unfortunately it doesn't work so well with 1940s vintage, which is the era I usually wear.

I love this:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/138/321484265_e51b012652_o.jpg

Although I guess that's more of an Eaton crop with a shingle in the back?

You are in OKC and I'm in Fort Worth so I hear you on the vintage stylists... I know there are some in Dallas (including FL member rubyredlocks) but I rarely get over that direction.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Maybe one day we'll just have to meet up and have a vintage girl fest. ;)
If you ever have the urge to take the Heartland Flyer, I live just a couple miles from the downtown OKC station.....

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
We've talked about doing that sometime, have never gotten around to it. We have friends that live in OKC and Tulsa.

Re the Mrs. Brady hair - this is what I try to avoid with the long nape business... right now I feel this is what my hair looks like. lol
sharon_stone_short_bob_haircut315.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy