Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any rosacea sufferers out there??

Miss C

New in Town
I have recently been diagnosed with rosacea. I am kinda permanently rosy cheeked, much to my annoyance, and was very disheartened when the dermatologist said it was notoriously difficult to treat. I am currently taking doxycycline (50g) twice a day and appling Finacea morning and night, been on this regime for 5 weeks and not noticed a difference:(

Just wondered if any of you ladies are fellow sufferers and what experiences you have had with medications and what you use to cover up the redness! Any help/advice would be very much appreciated, I would love to be the pale faced person I was in my teens!!

Xx

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Hi Miss C - I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis - rosacea is a very frustrating thing to deal with. I had a touch of it around mid 2008 (just before I got married - typical!) - it just started off as a small red patch on my cheek near my nose and sometimes I got small spots in the patch too - not always - but from time to time. I went to my Dr and he told me as well that it was very hard to treat but prescribed Rosex cream which I had to put on morning and night - it treated the rosacea and the patch cleared up. From time to time if I had wine or a curry it would flare up (no spots though thank God) but calm down again.

There is a theory that rosacea can be hormonal as well - which could be the case for me because during my pregnancy I couldn't use Rosex but had no flare-ups throughout my pregnancy or afterwards and haven't had one since.

Anyway when I did have it the cream worked very well for me - it may be worth asking your Dr about it if you aren't having any success with what you are using now?

I really hope you find something that works for you and can rid you of rosacea for good.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was diagonosed with a mild case of rosecea by my doctor. My doctor says that she has successfully used a laser light treatment (similar to the laser treatments they use for hair removal- she uses a LightSheer) on several patients. She told me she had a gentleman that looked like he was intoxicated all the time and the light treatments entirely cleared it up. Apparently some forms are caused by a yeast infection under the skin, and the light kills the yeast.

I don't know if that is helpful or not, I elected to not have it done. The one thing is that if you do have any laser-anything, make sure you go to a healthcare provider (and not a spa that doesn't have well-trained staff). You want to make sure that you are getting the right treatment to actually help you, because it needs to be done in a certain way (timing, number of treatments, etc.).

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I'm interested in laser light treatment too, but haven't fully investigated it yet.

Like Miss C I also used Finacea gel & it worked initially, but my skin reacted it to it. So far, the best over the counter treatment I've used it Mario Badescus Control Cream. It hasn't cleared the rosacea up, but it does help calm it down.

As for foundation to cover it, you name it I've tried it. The two best ones I've found are Graftobian Hi Def creme foundation and good old Maybellene Dream Matte Mousse. Both have good coverage & don't irritate my skin.

Oh yes & the boring stuff like not eating spicy foods or drinking alcohol to avoid flare ups (and if I know I'll be doing both to make sure I put foundation on to cover it up!).

Last edited:

Miss C

New in Town
The lists of rosacea triggers are, on first look, quite worrying. I know not all affect all sufferers, but would it be possible to avoid sun exposure, wind, hot weather, cold weather, humidity, indoor hear, stress, hot drinks, exercise, spicy food, alcohol...................er no!!!:eek:

I kind of know my triggers, but my main concern is the constant redness and having to always wear foundation it to try and cover it up. I really want to dye my hair red, but not good with red cheeks :mad:

Am currently using Boots cold cream and a simple moisturiser when needed. Have got samples of Lily Lolo mineral foundation and colour corrector, but haven't tried them yet!
I have spent so much on foundations and creams over the last couple of years, just want to look normal again!
xx

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I was diagnosed with rosacea when I was about 10. It's not severe and I find I can control it just as long as I remember to cleanse and moisturise.

I do suffer quite badly from a "rosy" complexion though! I've tried various green bases but they don't seem to work that well.

My latest find that actually seems to control my redness very well for quite a long time is Benefit's Get Even:

http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/product/view/get-even-pressed-powder

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have heard Clinique anti-redness foundation is very good for rosacea. I did try a sample on my generally manky, psoriasis prone skin and it covered really well.

brookenormajean

New in Town
I have sufferred a mild-mid range rosecea for as long as I can remember... (ok about 10 years, feels like eternity!) unfortunately any of those green cover ups always make me look a bit ill, the best things I have found is using as much natural products on my face as possible and just a gentle skincare routine: cold cream, moisturising face wash, sensitive moisturizer and the one not so natural product I swear by is revlon colourstay, all other foundations seem to not work so well with my rosecea. Oh and all the products I use are handmade either from etsy or small family companies, I find because they only use natural preservatives that really helps to oh and jurlique rose powder is amazing too! haha, believe me I have tried everything!!! and it's only now that i'm 24 I have finally found a routine that works... so don't give up, you'll will eventually find what works perfectly for your skin!

brookenormajean

New in Town
oh and I meant to add if my skin is feeling particularly sensitive from my rosecea, does anyone else get that pain that feels sore and raw? I don't get that as much now that I have switched products but If I do get a little but sore I also use a natural skin oil and this helps too :)

Tatum

Practically Family
oh and I meant to add if my skin is feeling particularly sensitive from my rosecea, does anyone else get that pain that feels sore and raw? I don't get that as much now that I have switched products but If I do get a little but sore I also use a natural skin oil and this helps too :)

I'll have to try an oil again. I get the raw feeling too, it's the worst. I haven't found a thing yet that really helps with mine, long term... Still trying new things. Still refusing to give up spicy food ;)

Miss C

New in Town
Which natural skin oil do you use brookenormajean?

I don't tend to get a sore feeling, just redness with itchy bumps near my temples.

Still not noticed much difference with the medication prescribed by the dermatologist, will go back to the Dr in the new year.

Am so with you Tatum, not giving up the spicy foods, well not yet ;)

Tatum

Practically Family
I like my spicy stuff way too much to give it up. I do need to go to the dermatologist again, and I am thinking of finding a new one (I think I am mine's youngest patient by about thirty years), as he is just a "slice/scrape/dig it off" and not so cosmetic. I guess the older folks don't care if they have holes and big scars here and there, but I sure do.

Recently I decided to make my own balms, as I have scads of beeswax lying about thanks to beekeeping. I just got a shipment of some stuff I need to do it, and I am going to test out a propolis balm and see how that does. Propolis is a sticky resin that the bees use to glue stuff together in the hive (so when you're checking your bees, you scrape it off of everything), and it has antiseptic and antibiotic properties. It has been suggested that it can reduce inflammation as well, so I want to give it a shot.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I have very, very mild rosacea, mostly in the form of burning rosy cheeks. I generally have flare ups due to the weather or certain alcoholic drinks - wine, most specifically. :lol: I love spicy foods and eat them often, and that never causes flares for me. Since it is hot in Texas 2/3 of the year, I stay pretty tomato-cheeked. Being a redhead, it isn't flattering!

The absolute best OTC product I've used is SkinCeuticals Phyto Corrective gel. It isn't cheap, but the bottle lasts forever because you only need a very tiny amount, and it really works wonders to calm skin and keep the rosy cheeks at bay. It is a super calming green liquid gel. On a sidenote, it also fades & heals a sunburn faster than anything I've ever seen.

I also own and use La Mer "The Concentrate" serum, which is supposed to be good for rosacea. While I love it for my skin, I haven't noticed that it does much for my rosacea at all. Maybe if I had a more severe case, I would be able to see a difference. But honestly for the high price (the La Mer is almost 5 times as much!), the SkinCeuticals is a superior product for treating rosacea over-the-counter.

brookenormajean

New in Town
Which natural skin oil do you use brookenormajean?

I don't tend to get a sore feeling, just redness with itchy bumps near my temples.

Still not noticed much difference with the medication prescribed by the dermatologist, will go back to the Dr in the new year.

Am so with you Tatum, not giving up the spicy foods, well not yet ;)

Miss C I use a Natralia Nourish Naturals skin oil, its so lovely... but I see your in the UK so I'm not sure if it would be available, I find A'kin's rosehip oil and emergency gel are also both really great for calming flare ups and I think in the UK they are stocked fairly well...? I alternate between those two and for some reason with my rosacea I have to alternate every now and then (with products I have already found work well). Hope this helps :)

brookenormajean

New in Town
actually A'kin is really good for rosacea in particular the rose & geranium pure creamy cleanser, the toner, and the unscented 24hr pure moisturizer.

Miss C

New in Town
Brookenormajean - I am going to take a look at if I can get hold of those oils here in the UK, thanks for letting me know which ones!!

Gingerella72 - I had read somewhere else about the stomach acid thing, it might be worth giving try, am willing to try anything! Would love to wear red!!

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
I have not been diagnosed with rosacea. I noticed two years ago my face was very red and dry. I was using ponds cold cream at the time. I stopped using the cold cream which started to burn my skin. I tried for months with another skin cleanser and it did not work. I did some research online and found out I am allergic to cleansers that contain soap in the ingredients. I also found out my skin is very dry, sensitive, and oily. I was trying to just treat the oilyness. And I have to use soap free gentle cleansers such as Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser massage it in without weting my face. And after I rinse my face with warm water, I lastly rinse with cool water, and then apply lotion. I stopped using face powder and I never ware foundation. If I happen to use foundation it is the foundation with lotion or coty airspun powder never at the same time. I still treat the oilyness with clean and clear bloting papers. Every time I use the bloting papers, I have to put on some lotion or my skin will start to itch if I don't. Especially during the winter months when I come indoors after being outdoors I have to put on some lotion. I also stay out of the sun. One of the lotions I use is a vegan brand
http://www.etsy.com/listing/88165247/new-winter-shimmer-lightly-whipped-silk this is the and the Cetaphil lotions are the only ones that will work for my very sensitive complection. And I use witch hazel once a week of less. And burts bees blemish stick when I have break outs.
After learning this my skin has inproved a bunch. And I am left with a rosey glow on my face. Which I tend to never cover up. And people have commented on who much they like my porcelain doll complection.

brookenormajean

New in Town
Miss C - not a problem, I hope they work out for you!

MissNathalieVintage - that's very interesting, I tried using cold cream recently after all the rave reviews... feels wonderful when it's on but once I take it off my skin stings and goes quite red. I tried to give it time to see if it was the cold cream that was making it worse and I too used a handmade vegan one off etsy and i'm not allergic to soaps, but it did not unfortunately work for me either! i'm glad you've found something that works for you... it seems everyones skin is quite different and unfortunately you have to go through trial and error...

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Tea tree oil is fantastic! I acquired a book on all the healing things that tea tree oil does. My skin was so irritated and broken out I just could not stand it anymore. I got the tea tree oil and after washing my face minus the lotion. I applied the un diluted oil to my face and noticed it working right away. It did tingle and the book did say you should dilute the oil with water. I being the rebel nixed the water and went full on. The next day my entire face was lobster red. However my skin improved over night. I elected to not cover my red face and brave any comments. I went into work and no one mentioned a thing. For me the redness did not last very long and I was superpleased with the way my skin smoothed out and absolutely glowed. The second time I used the tea tree oil I mixed it with water and did not get the same results as I did without mixing.
If I feel the need, I also use Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque. This stuff is heavenly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy