Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any special and "must see" shops in Texas?

andy richards

Practically Family
Next week I will be travelling in Texas. Together with my 16 year old son we will visit Dallas, Fort Worth, Huntington, Houston, Waco, San Antonio and hope to see a lot... My son and I are both into music (RR, 70's, oldies) and old skool clothing. Are there any specific shops we shouldn't miss during our trip? Thanks guys! Andy.

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
I don't know any specific stores that are must see, but Austin has to be on the list, especially if you are into live music, go to 6th Street for music and Austin Land and Cattle for steak. There is also the University of Texas (my alma mater). There is nothing in Waco (sorry Wacos). San Antonio has the Alamo, Sea World, Fiesta Texas and the River Walk with lots of good food and stores in the area. Houston, Dallas, anf Ft. Worth are just really big cities with most everything if you know where to look. Dallas/Ft. Worth I do not know. Houston has quite a bit of shopping around the Galleria.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
You better get yourself some BBQ and it don't matter what you wear!

Below is the Top Five Best BBQ places according to Texas Monthly's biannual survey. Snow's was a dark horse victor last year. Kreuz's and Smitty's are the old stand-bys. All of these places are about an hour out of Austin - Lexington is east, Lockhart and Luling are south (on the way to Houston). I haven't been to Snow's and they have very peculiar hours (maybe only open on Saturday) so check before going. Smitty's has the best old school atmosphere. You can't miss choosing any of these...

Lexington: Snow’s BBQ
Lockhart: Kreuz Market
Lockhart: Smitty’s Market
Luling: City Market

http://www.texasmonthly.com/magazine/bbq

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
FYI - In Austin, 6th Street is just a street during the day...at night it transforms to the "live music capital of the world". There is also a very good BBQ place on Hwy 2222 near the Capital of Texas Highway called "The County Line"...it is really good and has nice scenery. The places listed by Soutnerwayfare are very good, but I personally would stop there only if I am passing through. City Market in Luling is delicious but there is literally nothing else around...nothing.

You also have to try good TexMex like at Matt's El Rancho or Chuy's in Austin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner