Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blaming the Enforcers?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I saw this in my local paper and it reminded me of the FL because of the discussions we've had on here about a lack of regard for personal responsibility and respect for authority. It's a response to a letter written by a father who is angry that his son was charged with underage drinking. Please delete if not fitting. What are your thoughts?

http://leader.mainelymediallc.com/n...lice_force_has_lost_its_way.html#comment-1506

Submitted by Love Scarborough PD on Fri, 2013-09-27 09:23.

I'm a citizen of Scarborough not in any way connected to the police department who has been helped by them many times and am very appreciative of all they do. I need to respond to your lengthy diatribe piece by piece.

"We need less intrusion and control of our lives by others and need to be allowed to make our own decisions and to teach our children to do the same. And we do not need local police arresting them for petty crimes and ruining their lives – with encouragement from your paper."

You propose that certain illegal activities be overlooked by the PD because it will "ruin lives" and the freedom of the press to report this public information should be silenced to protect the adults over 18 whom you label "children." You blame the police for enforcing laws that were broken because you deem them too beneath the law, or is it that you feel your children are above the law? It's really simple: if you don't want to be in the paper for breaking the law, don't break the law. If you don't want to be cited for something, don't do it. Simple!

"It is difficult for me to challenge law enforcement as a father of four children and as a 30-plus year career professional responsible for developing and enforcing laws and policies concerning the security, health, safety and welfare of employees in private sector workplaces. But this is enough."

The Scarborough Police Dept has a process for filing grievances, and it's available to all, so I am not clear why this would be difficult. Also, you have done a great job using the press you earlier demonized for carrying your message.

"We live in a new and different age in which a simple summons or arrest can have a lasting effect on a young adult’s efforts to find and keep a job and to start to live a responsible life and to contribute to their communities. The police are criminalizing our children, our youth who are future leaders: honor students, college cross-country team members –by giving them a digital footprint that will hound them for years and dehumanizing them on the web. We call this service and promoting the public interest?"

People who break the law become criminals. The police do not create criminals. People make choices with consequences. If you don't like the consequences don't do it. Young adults need to learn about cause and effect and not expect to be buffered from the results of their choices simply because they are on a cross-country team. SPD did not create the internet, either. Young adults are very familiar with digital footprints as most have Facebook accounts. It was a choice they made. Receiving a citation should not be cause for failure in life. Police serve and protect and are paid to uphold the law, not be overprotective parents.

"The Scarborough Police Facebook site’s regular posts of mug shots and the appalling comments by citizens is more than troubling. We are sponsoring cyber bullying by creating an environment that allows others to publicly pillory individuals who have simply been accused of crimes. This Facebook site has a new cover page that shows police with drawn Glock’s ready to fire with a ferocious attack dog. In a recent incident this summer a 19-year-old Washington state teen committed suicide following comments made by Idaho police on a Facebook site following his arrest."

Mug shots are posted in newspapers, too, and the information is public. As for the Glocks and dogs, that's part of the police arsenal. That shouldn't be shocking or controversial.

"How on earth does this promote public safety? When you attempt to challenge any of this and make a dissenting comment on the Scarborough Police Facebook page, it is responded to in a self-righteous and defensive manner or deleted immediately. This is outrageous and should be stopped immediately. Dissent needs to be allowed and we need to have an open dialogue about what our police are doing."

They are doing their jobs. And isn't "This is outrageous and should be stopped immediately. Dissent needs to be allowed" a double standard? You, a dissenter, want to be able to say whatever you please on their facebook page and have a say in what they should or shouldn't post, but they in turn should have no say or recourse?

"We need to regain control of our police and our town administration and let them know we need less policing and fewer cops, and town employees doing things for us – and refocus them on services that truly meet our basic needs and otherwise leave us free to make our own decisions."

You obviously live in an upscale neighborhood with little crime. That's not true for all of us. Thank goodness for what they do to protect our town!

"I thought the goal of police was to protect and serve. In Scarborough the mission seems to be to make us to spread fear and increase dependency and control. They have turned local law enforcement from Andy of Mayberry into “The Terminator.” It is time to study how our police are carrying out their mission and how it is affecting our rights and privacy."

This is not a movie or sit-com. It's real life. Study reality and perhaps you will see that they are really doing what we are paying them to do and that's a good thing.

"We seem to have lost our way in this town guided by professional managers and supported by a town council who fervently believe that more services, a larger budget, and more policing alone are good things. Let’s stop creating more demand for things we do not need."

You can begin to create less demand for police services by teaching your children to not break the law.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You can begin to create less demand for police services by teaching your children to not break the law.

I agree with you completely, but then I usually do. Laws and respect for laws are the foundation of a healthy society. And I've known enough kids exactly like the ones involved in this case -- the next town over is full of them -- to know they're the type who grow up to be the type of smug, entitled citizen who insist that the rules apply to everyone but themselves.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
to know they're the type who grow up to be the type of smug, entitled citizen who insist that the rules apply to everyone but themselves.
That is a parenting issue. I have 4 kids ranging from 21 to 15 and none of them have that sense of entitlement that most youngsters now a days do. Sometimes it isn't easy being a parent...you actually have to "parent" your children so they grow up as respectful young men and ladies.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am uncomfortable with posting pictures of mugshots of individuals arrested for a crime if the comments aren't moderated. Some of the stuff just plain is rude and unacceptable. If you're going to create a forum like that, you've got to be responsible for moderating it. Since the U.S. system is based upon the idea of "innocent until proven guilty" I think moderation is the key. Because we're in a system of innocent until proven guilty and the permanence of the web, I'm only accepting of making mug shots so available if it is in a controlled environment. I've seen such facebook sites that regularly remove posts that criticize the page or the police department (even within the comments on a mug shot) but don't remove comments that are absolutely disgusting about the person who's been arrested.

I do think that the police can harass people and I think there are occasionally unreasonable things that police do; but that's pretty rare. However, I'm not likely to believe that a kid is being harassed unless they've got a good story. Such a story usually begins with a declaration of innocence. It's not harassment if you're breaking the law (unless of course, they ignoring other law breakers and only arresting a specific person/family/race/gender repeatedly).

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I am uncomfortable with posting pictures of mugshots of individuals arrested for a crime if the comments aren't moderated. Some of the stuff just plain is rude and unacceptable. If you're going to create a forum like that, you've got to be responsible for moderating it. Since the U.S. system is based upon the idea of "innocent until proven guilty" I think moderation is the key. Because we're in a system of innocent until proven guilty and the permanence of the web, I'm only accepting of making mug shots so available if it is in a controlled environment. I've seen such facebook sites that regularly remove posts that criticize the page or the police department (even within the comments on a mug shot) but don't remove comments that are absolutely disgusting about the person who's been arrested.

I do think that the police can harass people and I think there are occasionally unreasonable things that police do; but that's pretty rare. However, I'm not likely to believe that a kid is being harassed unless they've got a good story. Such a story usually begins with a declaration of innocence. It's not harassment if you're breaking the law (unless of course, they ignoring other law breakers and only arresting a specific person/family/race/gender repeatedly).

The police mug shot section referenced in the letter is heavily moderated. They often leave abusive comments directed at the police but remove abusive comments directed at others.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Public shame is an excellent, and ancient method of encouraging moral behavior. When getting your mug shot on a police blotter becomes a matter for pride we have a problem.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The police mug shot section referenced in the letter is heavily moderated. They often leave abusive comments directed at the police but remove abusive comments directed at others.

Then I'm totally fine with it.

My only experience with such a facebook page isn't moderated... there are actually comments left on there that I think should make the police look at the people who are who are leaving them. :( One of my colleagues pointed the page out to me (it's in his hometown), he's been campaigning that it needs to either moderated or taken down because it's such an absolute mess.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm not too keen on posting a persons mug shot before their case has been adjudicated; if that's what they're doing.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm not too keen on posting a persons mug shot before their case has been adjudicated; if that's what they're doing.

The people in question were found guilty and it's not clear their mug shots were posted. The police here don't post each and every one. The issue that stood out for me in the letter was that the father was angry his son and others were arrested for breaking the law.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Here you go any mug shot is available online Bustedmugshots.com There is also a national free paper with all the mugshots and arrests that I see at work every week.
As a parent one needs to guide and be a leader. A freind of my wife was beat up by her 26 year old son two weeks ago. An the father did nothing about it.
Say it was the wife's fault for making him mad. Now this is how parents react when their kids do bad things. An that is why we have people running loose with guns and shooting people because no one in their life drew a line and said enough.

Underlying this there is of course the entirely reasonable contention that some laws are unjust, unreasonable or poorly framed. The setting of age limits is a notorious one. Also here there are issues of unreasonable behaviour of the enforcers (a unique and strangely appropriate way to describe a modern police force) - for example, turning a blind eye on the day of a college football game to all the freshmen blazing drunk all over town … quis custodiet ipsos custodes? - and the folly of an overtly political (that is elected) cadre of judges and police chiefs/sheriffs, etc.

However, knowing what the laws are and the potential for unreasonable (very often arrest-quota-driven) behaviour of the enforcers, until they're changed you can't complain much when you're caught breaking them.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The issue that stood out for me in the letter was that the father was angry his son and others were arrested for breaking the law.
Yes, you do see a lot of that attitude today. Misdirected anger. An important part of correcting mistakes is to acknowlege them. Something that appears to be lost on some folks these days.

I grew up being peppered with the warning, "Don't do anything you wouldn't want to see on the front page of the New York Times." I pretty much took it to heart though there were a few minor transgressions along the way.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As a parent one needs to guide and be a leader. A freind of my wife was beat up by her 26 year old son two weeks ago. An the father did nothing about it.
Say it was the wife's fault for making him mad.

I'd be willing to bet your wife's friend got beat up plenty of times because she made the father mad. That sounds like a pervasive attitude.

Kids learn from examples. Some kids walk away from abusive households and say "never" and some kids come to think it's normal.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
PrettySquareGal,

The one thing that concerns me about some of these activities is that many children and adolescents are being "tagged" at a young age with "anti-social" behavior labels that will follow them f-o-r-e-v-e-r. As we head deeper into the new age where every communication will be archived to the end of time we are setting up failure paths for kids doing dumb things. How many of the people on this forum are not guilty of some foolish behavior when they were young but managed to avoid a lifetime of being "tagged" as a reprobate because that behavior was passed over, lost, corrected, taken care of in a sensible way, etc.

I disagree that youthful behavior should be tatooed on someone's forehead. I am very concerned that zero-tolerance rules infractions are going to be used as markers for a kid all their life and anyone who wants to play any kind of discrimination with absolutes is going to have a field day stepping on people. Lemmee see, 5 year old boy kissed 4 year old girl: ah, a pervert for life! A 6 year old boy pointed his finger like a gun in a classroom: aha, a genetic serial killer, don't permit him in college, don't give him a job ever. A 16 year old girl gets drunk with her friends: uh-oh, a future loser, tie her tubes and make sure she doesn't work or get an education. If you think this is not going to happen, think again. It seems to me there's a better way to crack this nut but nobody, absolutely nobody, seems to want to tackle a serious problem that can only get worse.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
PrettySquareGal,

The one thing that concerns me about some of these activities is that many children and adolescents are being "tagged" at a young age with "anti-social" behavior labels that will follow them f-o-r-e-v-e-r. As we head deeper into the new age where every communication will be archived to the end of time we are setting up failure paths for kids doing dumb things. How many of the people on this forum are not guilty of some foolish behavior when they were young but managed to avoid a lifetime of being "tagged" as a reprobate because that behavior was passed over, lost, corrected, taken care of in a sensible way, etc.

I disagree that youthful behavior should be tatooed on someone's forehead. I am very concerned that zero-tolerance rules infractions are going to be used as markers for a kid all their life and anyone who wants to play any kind of discrimination with absolutes is going to have a field day stepping on people. Lemmee see, 5 year old boy kissed 4 year old girl: ah, a pervert for life! A 6 year old boy pointed his finger like a gun in a classroom: aha, a genetic serial killer, don't permit him in college, don't give him a job ever. A 16 year old girl gets drunk with her friends: uh-oh, a future loser, tie her tubes and make sure she doesn't work or get an education. If you think this is not going to happen, think again. It seems to me there's a better way to crack this nut but nobody, absolutely nobody, seems to want to tackle a serious problem that can only get worse.

I don't understood the use of extreme examples of overreactions to foolish behavior as a means to dismiss or excuse legitimate consequences for illegal behavior. I do, of course agree with you that the examples you gave are gross overreactions by those involved and damaging. I think we need to keep the two separate, though. The kids received a summons. They weren't arrested and they weren't five. The law prohibits law enforcement from releasing the names of minors anyway, so you will never see a mug shot of a five or sixteen year old.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Yes, you do see a lot of that attitude today. Misdirected anger. An important part of correcting mistakes is to acknowlege them. Something that appears to be lost on some folks these days.

True. Since nobody seems to be held personally responsible for their actions anymore - and we've got a whole warehouse full of "syndromes" etc to blame anything and everything on - misdirection seems to be the plan.

Back in the '70s we used to laugh at comedian "Flip" Wilson's "The Devil Made Me Do It" jokes. Today, such excuses seem to be a skillset all their own.

hatguy1

One Too Many
I am very concerned that zero-tolerance rules infractions.... Lemmee see, 5 year old boy kissed 4 year old girl: ah, a pervert for life! A 6 year old boy pointed his finger like a gun in a classroom: aha, a genetic serial killer, don't permit him in college, don't give him a job ever. A 16 year old girl gets drunk with her friends: uh-oh, a future loser, tie her tubes and make sure she doesn't work or get an education. If you think this is not going to happen, think again. It seems to me there's a better way to crack this nut but nobody, absolutely nobody, seems to want to tackle a serious problem that can only get worse.

I agree with some of what you're saying on this. Our whole society seems in major league OVERreaction mode on most things - "sexual harassment" by kindergarteners? Say what? I personally know of a case where an elementary school art teacher had a kid suspended under the "zero tolerance" weapons policy because he...wait for it...DREW people on top of a castle shooting bows and arrows down at those seiging the castle. Are you kidding me?

YET...we have people like the Virginia Tech shooter etc have an ongoing history of extreme anti-social behavior, spoken fantasies of violence etc and the administration doesn't want to do anything because everybody has "rights" and privacy and so on.

This country seems to have lost all common sense to the point of the tail wagging the dog anymore.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A real-life example of the kind of individual the kid in the original post will probably grow into:

We were hosting a film festival this weekend, the kind of event that attracts a lot of upper-middle-class-college-kid types with the resources to pop several hundred dollars for a festival pass. Most of them at least know how to act in public, but every year there's one or two exceptions. This years' was a guy about thirty years old who pulled out a cell phone twice in the middle of a film and started yapping into it -- disturbing and annoying others in the row. They complained to an usher, and that usher, a pleasant elderly woman, asked the man to please put the phone away during the film or go out in the lobby to use it.

His response? "Mind your f****** business."

She reported it to my assistant manager, since I was in the projection booth, and when my assistant went up to talk to the man he told her to leave him alone, he's trying to watch a movie, and if she didn't shut up he'd report her to her boss.

She reported him to me, and I went down from the booth and minced no words: "Sir, if that phone comes out of your pocket one more time I'm kicking you out of here."

He seemed to settle down, but after the show I found him in the lobby abusing my assistant manager -- after asking her to "step into his office," no less. I walked over and told him that the purchase of a VIP pass did not entitle him to disrupt a show, swear at an old woman, or abuse my staff, and that if I ever saw him on the premises again I would have him removed.

He told me that we totally ruined the show for him, and that I really better start working on my "people skills." He then huffed off, swearing that he was going to contact my "owner." Well, I guess that puts me in *my* place.

All of this, because an entitled young man feels like he has the right to do what he pleases, whenever he pleases, wherever he pleases, and to hell with anyone else.

I wonder how he got that way?

DeaconKC

One Too Many
As a Parole Agent, we call them "job security". However, today I did get a report that gave me hope. A friend of mine had a shovel, hoe and a plastic target frame stolen from his garage. A few days later he spotted the frame at a local house, turned out some kids there stole the stuff to build a skateboard ramp. He talked with the Dad and the two boys had to work off the theft by spending two Saturdays clearing brush by hand. Good for the Dad!

3fingers

One Too Many
I walked over and told him that the purchase of a VIP pass did not entitle him to disrupt a show, swear at an old woman, or abuse my staff, and that if I ever saw him on the premises again I would have him removed.
I used to work in a place where we had a few people like him. I was told I couldn't say immediately or dead, so I modified the quote to be "you can leave here one of two ways-immediately or in handcuffs." It usually worked, now I'm not so sure. Being cuffed and drug out of a place seems to be an honor some people seek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner