Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any thoughts on a 'Suit Trading' thread?

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Okay, here's the deal - I will, on occasion, find nice vintage suits. Occasionally they may fit me. Probably a little more than half the time, they do not. I still can't pass on them for being such a great find. So now I have a great vintage suit...that doesn't fit. I could sell it...but I didn't really buy it in the first place to make money. Besides, some of these suits don't really fetch a ton unless they have a few very desirable features. I'd much rather have a suit...just in the right size.

Surely there must be others in this position as well. I am a size 38 but have been finding more recently a lot of size 40-42 type stuff. I'm sure there might be someone else out there that is a size 40 or 42 that has been finding size 38 stuff. It would be great if we could find each other!

What does the collective think about a 'Suit Trading' thread, either here or in the classifieds, where we can post up suits that we find that don't fit, and others can do the same, in hopes of finding a few matches between folks? I've already used the same idea to trade a 1940s suit jacket in a size 42 for a similar 1940s suit jacket in my size - the trade worked out great and now each of us have 1 more garment in our wardrobe that fits. The more people that subscribe to the idea, the more successful it would be. I've got several nice suits that I think someone else here would like and I'd rather trade for similar suits in my size than just sell them. Maybe there is a 'trading' thread already going? If so, it would be nice to have one just limited to suits/jackets.

Thanks for any feedback.

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the feedback. I've got 3 suits to instantly start it off. I'll try and get some good pictures of them and then kick off the thread!

Thanks all!

Fletch - I wouldn't be so sure! I have seen plenty of bigger sized suits...occasionally entering into the 44-46 category. It depends on the years - have I ever come across a size 46 1930s belt-back suit? No. But I have seen 1950s-1960s suits in that range, as well as occasionally a 1940s suit. There is also a vintage store near me that usually keeps a good stock of vintage suits in larger sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS