Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody receive a new Bill Kelso jacket recently?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The makers could always hot-water shrink the hide after finishing and before construction, adding x% onto the price for the extra hide required. But beating them up and adding color variation almost always looks phoney unless it comes from time and wear.

Not a big an of this type of "aging" either....looks splotchy rather than aged.... but different strokes for different folks.
Photos of the jacket otherwise look nice.
One thing I did notice on the stitching.....on one photo of the arm pit there seems to be a large section where top stitching is missing;

Re; the stitching in general....here are some close up shots of a GW pocket stitching, and the BK;

A GW;

Vintage_UnitedCarr_Snaps.jpg

The BK;

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Jeff, the extension of the top stitching down the sleeve is common on other contracts: my Perry is the same.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Well gentlemen I just placed my order for a BK Willis and Geiger M-422 today. I hope the wait isn't too long. Don't know about the BK Victory HH for their A-2 line, but the seal brown goatskin sample Andy sent me was absolutely gorgeous! Anxiously awaiting the jacket....

Brettafett

One Too Many
Thor, well done my man. Look forward to seeing it. Remember pics! And while you are at it... pics of your Cockpit G-1 ;)

thor

Call Me a Cab
Thor, well done my man. Look forward to seeing it. Remember pics! And while you are at it... pics of your Cockpit G-1 ;)

You got it Brett! My wife can take the photos and do the uploads since she's much more tech savvy then I am. The countdown has started to "BK-day".

TiltRotorFlyer

One of the Regulars
Matt S has just posted a detailed review of a BK Werber 42-1402-P in antique Victory horsehide on VLJF if anybody is interested:
(http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15061)

Can somebody here copy and paste this review onto this thread please? I am not a member of the VLJ forum simply because I only have a gmail address and they do not allow these when registering for an account. I am in the process of ordering a BK Werber and would like to read this and hear an owner's opinion of the product. Many thanks in advance!

Dav

One Too Many
This isn't my jacket, here ya go, TiltRotorFlyer.

"Received my BK Werber Size 40 custom in Antique Victory HH in the post last Monday, and been wearing it to work and whenever I can since...

Being a navy jacket man, I have small experience in the world of A-2's, and therefore nothing to compare with, except a minor fling with a US Wings version and the BK is something else.

I'm absolutely stoked with this jacket, from the time you open the box, look at it, put it on, zip it up, look in the mirror :roll: everything about it is quality. It looks old right from the box and the level of detail is astounding. my wife just loves it.

The antique finish I feel is not over done, and lends a 'used' look to it, the leather is super supple, and not shiny, more between a matte/satin finish, and luxurious in feel. This Werber is a custom meaning for a 40 it has 18' shoulders, and the length of sleeves and back are 25 1/2. Patches are from Sean (A2jacketpatches). The fit although trim is not tight, The Werber is known for its trimmer fit and this example is no exception but is very comfortable in the wearing, it just looks and feels like a second skin. At first there was no give in the leather, thinking I should have gone the extra 1/2 inch in length, but now after 5 days of wear it is already beginning to relax and show signs of drape.

Over the weekend I spent a total of 8 hours driving in it at 2 hour intervals, and aside from the classic (as I understand it now) no give back, I was comfortable all the times, even with a collar stand. Yes the sleeves do ride up a bit, but hay what a jacket. Part of that weekend involved a half hour ruff and tumble with my 2 10 year old nephews while wearing it and its already taken on more 'character' in the leather, be interesting to see it 6 months down the track.

There is a bit of drop in the stitching around the pocket flaps, where the stitching hasn't followed the contour; whether thats authentic or needs a little more practice I don't know as I'm not a tailor, but nonetheless I'm not bothered by it. The experience of wearing this jacket surpasses any other jacket (apart from my original M422a) I've ever worn, is it worth the price, I guess it depends on what you consider worthy for that price. It does it for me.

here are the pics, forgive the expressions had no idea what was goin' on except if was very cold, must learn to smile... The leather is the correct colour in the photos, the knits are mid brown, but are showing much darker."

http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/m422a/media/DSCF1131_zpsfa5603be.jpg.html

Last edited:

triple-d

A-List Customer
You got it Brett! My wife can take the photos and do the uploads since she's much more tech savvy then I am. The countdown has started to "BK-day".

CONGRTS Thor......I'm counting down with you. I can't waite to see it!!!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Dav, looks like you have acquired another very nice jacket that appears to fit you better than what I have seen in pictures of most WW II guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart