Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody receive a new Bill Kelso jacket recently?

Re-starting this thread as the original one got sidetracked and locked. (Please don't go down that road with this thread!!)

So....anybody receive a new Bill Kelso jacket recently....or within the past several months? Since coming out with their "Victory Horse" leather several months ago, I haven't seen a thing posted by somebody who received an order.

Last edited:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
So....anybody receive a new Bill Kelso jacket recently....or within the past several months? Since coming out with their "Vintage Warhorse" leather several months ago, I haven't seen a thing posted by somebody who received an order.

Perhaps because 'Warhorse' is a registered trademark of Eastman :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Just saw that. What do you think of it Dr H...?

It's not a contract with which I'm familiar Van so I had to consult Gary Eastman's book. From the images it looks a very well executed example, apparently true to pattern (there are others, including Andrew) who have owned original Werbers and are far better placed to comment, but it's certainly not a generic 'house' jacket).
The hardware (snaps, zip, label, stamps, etc.) looks to be high quality and Matt's images are good and plentiful so readers can see clearly the finish of the new hide.
I felt that some early BK jackets were a little full in the torso - Matt has a tall/slender frame and this size 40 looks like it fits very well.
The jacket is patched as a CBI variant (not sure who supplied these incised/layered leather patches, as there are several possible sources on VLJF, but they're very convincing to my inexperienced eye).
Matt has given a good appraisal of the fit/workmanship/wear.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BK have replicated this 1941 Werber extremely well. They appear to have nailed the details, including the shape of the pocket flaps, collar and positioning of the top stitching. The repro Talon zip is the robust, but the jacket would be even better if it had a NOS M-39 Talon with a rectangular puller!:) I really like the Victory hide, which has considerable character.

That jacket looks great. Some photos of the knits are green though - I assume that's just bad color balance?It does look like a great jacket.Interesting his comments in stitching though. They aren't perfect. What do the more accuracy-minded folks think? I know some here in another thread like me find it adds "character". Some don't. What's the consensus on that?Does it really detract from the jacket? It will be nice to see it after some time. At this point, we have no long-term info on how this new hide ages...

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
That jacket looks great. Some photos of the knits are green though - I assume that's just bad color balance?It does look like a great jacket.Interesting his comments in stitching though. They aren't perfect. What do the more accuracy-minded folks think? I know some here in another thread like me find it adds "character". Some don't. What's the consensus on that?Does it really detract from the jacket? It will be nice to see it after some time. At this point, we have no long-term info on how this new hide ages...

The stitches on my Good Wear jacket are not perfect either Scott.
As you've said before, it simply gives character and confirms that they're not made by robot.

The stitches on my Good Wear jacket are not perfect either Scott.As you've said before, it simply gives character and confirms that they're not made by robot.
Glad to near you say that Ian. I know Brian didn't feel that way, and I sincerely was asking as the VLJ folks are more stringent on what they'll accept, accuracy-wise.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Am I crazy not to like antiquing even when well done? I'd rather just break the thing in myself. If it takes 10 years because I have too many jackets, so be it.

This does not mean I approve of plasticcy-painty finishes or iron-horse that never will break in.

Last edited:
Am I crazy not to like antiquing even when well done? I'd rather just break the thing in myself. If it takes 10 years because I have too many jackets, so be it.This does not mean I approve of plasticcy-painty finishes or iron-horse that never will break in.
Wondered if anyone would bring this up. Given how many people screw up a good jacket trying to accelerate the aging process. Probably good someone offers it. I'm with you though, I'd rather do it myself, unless I can find a vintage jacket. That said, it looks really nice.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael