Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else dreading the new Indiana Jones film?

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Sure. There'll be comments.

Gaige said:
The character is an icon. If there are Indy comments... so be it. I can't, for the life of me, find anything wrong with that! :)

The only thing "wrong with it" is that some folks are a little more private than others. Comments like these are overly-familiar to some and make them feel a little uncomfortable (or a lot, for some). It is really just manners (not staring, not commenting inappropriately to those you don't know, not "listening" to private conversations, being decent enough to keep phone calls quiet, etc).

Most of the comments I've gotten have been from adolescents and young adults. That doesn't bother me so much. As a neuroscientist I know that part of their brain hasn't caught up yet. But with cell phones and other training for lowered standards, I fear we are teaching people to be rude. Many on the FL miss the "good old days" when folks were a little more courteous is what I was hearing them say. :cheers1:

Levallois

Practically Family
I have mixed feelings. I've always loved the films and this one hopefully should be just as good as one and three (didn't like two very much). I don't usually get hat comments because my hats are usually wide-brim cowboy style to keep the sun off and I'm usually in the field, 20 miles from nowhere. However, as a "real" archaeologist I don't like the impression the films give to young people as to what archaeologists really do. Rather than bore you with a long diatribe, let's just say that as an archaeologist who has worked all over the world over the last 25 years, I
- never get chased by Nazis
- never have found a golden idol - or any gold for that matter
- never had to rescue a beautiful damsel in distress
- never carried a whip
- etc.

John

Levallois

Practically Family
donCarlos,

I'm more upset with:

- never had to rescue a beautiful damsel in distress

than not carrying/using a whip. You'd think just once in the field I'd come across any beautiful damsel much less one in distress?!

John

fatwoul

Practically Family
Part of my decision to get a Fed IV in heritage fawn as well as brown was because I wanted a hat that was a little removed from IJ hats, besides my grey Whippet, of course.

Naturally, the first Indy comment I have received has been whilst I was wearing the heritage fawn. :rage: lol

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
ScottyBlues said:
I always find it odd that so many people think we wear hats because we are trying to look or be like someone. The only person I'm trying to look or be like is me. The fedora matches my self image.

That describes exactly the way I feel. I admit that six or so years ago when I started wearing a fedora, it was to look like Sam Spade or Phillip Marlowe from the Golden Era of Film Noir (not quite Indiana Jones, but a fictional movie character is the same regardless of who it is). Yet...over the years I've developed my persona into who I am as an individual, and the fedora has stayed. I don't relate myself to Indiana Jones or any hard-boiled PI from the Golden Era...I'm just a college student who has found what sort of styles fit him.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Yeah, I have some apprehension about the movie. The other day, in a sports therapy office where I was visiting, one of the front-office types was humming/singing the IJ theme and grinning at me. I switched from caps to fedoras over a year ago when IJ was nowhere on my radar or anyone else's.

It will come, ready or not, so I have decided to just go ahead and wade in; absorb it. I have bashed about 2/3rds of my collection with a front pinch now (mostly C crown, but some diamonds) and will wear my best Stetson Soveriegn medium brown 2 1/2" felted edge this Thursday; let 'em drool. Hell, we ARE experts (to most folks), strut yer' stuff!!!

rokket

New in Town
Levallois - maybe if you steal some treasure you'll get chased and be able to find a damsel! Altho as some comedian says, you let a hot dame into traffic and she rarely pulls over to have a pash.

fatwoul - I agree, and that's why I have a dark gray and looking for a light gray. It's style, not nec IJ.

Scion - Me too, read and saw the Marlowe stuff, loved the look and feel. Well said.

Barrow - best course I think, and you look great in that hat!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Good news:

INDY 4 has been getting rave reviews (if you follow that sort of thing)! Not that we would skip a movie where the hero wears a fedora but it is nice to hear it maybe the great thrill ride that TEMPLE and CRUSADE were (I leave out RAIDERS because that is in a category all by itself and I don't expect Lucas to capture that magic again).

My plans are set for the Thursday night opening! Go Indy!

DrQuest

Familiar Face
I can't wait to see this film. I admit that after ROTA, I went looking for a cool fedora just like Indy's, but I only found a few knock offs that, to me, didnt' look quite the same. I am still hoping to find one. I have a black Jaxon and two gray ones but not one in brown. Village Hats is currently out of the brown one but they say they will have a new shipment in July. Anyway, I dread the movie release in one way, because of all the comments I expect to hear. On the other hand, it might be just the catalyst we all need to jump start more guys into wearing fedoras and more stores into stocking them.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy