Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone into Vintage Sports/Athletic wear?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Need help...to breath new life into old vintage sweats!

I'm looking at bringing back to life an old 20's/30's sweatshirt. I have the basic sweats, just need help in finding the vintage logo for the screen print.

I did this before with an old AAF sweat that I found on Ebay, and reproduced it with the help of a friend of mine who is a graphic designer (see pics).

The help I need is chaps, do you have any pics of old varsity/college vintage logos, eg: Princetown, Yale, Harvard, West Point, maybe for one of their sports teams in the 30's like the rowing...etc. That I could duplicate with maybe a slight change, to create a vintage sweat for leisure wear?

All help with this appreciated! thanks..!!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Mark-1 version of the AAF sweat.

I had this 'mock-up' done originally for the 'sweat' before running with the heavy 1930's pattern cut sweatshirt that was sourced out of Japan (amazing quality), totally unlike any modern cut shirts.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey Paddy, that's a good question. I'll keep my eye out for any vintage school logos and such for you.

I have some 1930's school sweaters that I wear some times. You can find them on ebay at times and they go for cheep. But, in the 20's and 30's the school logos were just the first letter of the school on a sweater or sweat shirt. It was very basic back then and I can't really recal seeing any mascots on clothing. But, most millitary schools did have T-shirts they would wear for sports that had the name of the school printed on it with a logo of some kind.

The cool school look that I love is a white or cream pair of oxford bags a school sweater with a nice dress shirt under it so the callers come out.

Root.

PS. I'll post some photos when I find some for you.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I like '30s/'40s Sports gear- Football and Baseball jerseys, Sweatshirts, Letter Sweaters, Jackets, etc... and a bit of vintage baseball gear, got a couple of old gloves and bats...
I guess it's all a bit of a novelty for me over here on the other Planet.
Anyone?

B
T

D

Deleted member 259

Yes, actually.
I have a bit of a (rather, make that an unbridled passion) for Letter jackets from the lates 40s/50s.

I don't really follow sports, But I think thats because games like baseball, which used to be considered all-american, have become so unappealing with the drama, drug use, and undeserving massive paychecks.

Corey

New in Town
Cooperstown Ballcap Co.

I'm still relatively new to forums such as this, so not sure about the etiquette of reviving an older thread, but saw this and thought I might as well chime in my two cents. I found a neat website (especially for those of us not yet ready to wear fedoras) that sells reproductions (both in hat style and logo) of classic baseball hats. They seem to have everything, including the first teams from the late 19th century, now-defunct leagues like the Negro League, military-themed teams from WWII, etc. Check it out!

http://www.ballcap.com/

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Jerseys, jackets, caps and more.
http://www.distantreplays.com/

PAAAIAEPOBCBMNAF.jpg

BK47JKT_W.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hmm... it could be... I removed the labels from the caps.
I bought most of them about 6-7 years ago(there are more...)- mostly from 'Ebbets Field Flannels', which seem to have been 'Stall & Dean' for the last few years- but it seems Ebbets are back in business under their own name again.

Anyway, it could have been Mitchell and Ness label, from Ebbets.
There is, or was another company; American Needle, making vintage ball caps, although I haven't had theirs.

The Dodgers one is pretty nice- it's a '38 model and is vintage styled, with an unstiffened crown and shorter bill, all wool flannel.
The Yankees cap is a '39 edition.
All of these vintage ones are nicely made, fitted size, leather sweatbands and satin bill linings. Nice.

I think vintage ball caps are OK...

B
T

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks Gents..! :)

To those who asked, it's my own, and I use it to play badminton/tennis in (paired with 30's cream pants and plimsoles). It does give a certain classy, sporty look!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh yes..!

Basic tee-shirt from Top Shop (mainstream High Street store in UK), aged Scouting Union Jack, and I designed the 1936-Oars on my computer and printed out onto a linen type fabric - voila!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred