Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about this hatmaker Daquino?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Some small note of healthy realism after the latest ramblings.
In Europe there are very few "true" hatters active on market.
There are also shops selling hats "made to measure". In reality are shops and hatters, not all, passing orders to some of the few small factories of hats that still stand on the old continent.
Joao has always told the truth considering that lives where the hatters is headquartered.
He has visited and pose questions on hats off the models presented and the answers were not satisfactory.
The Dane has analyzed the market and labor economics in Europe with ease and acuteness.
Despite this the illusion of having a hat made solely on customer continued to rage.
It 's clear that Daquino (Chapeus Costa Larga) with the best will have limited means while using a excellent raw material.
To meet special orders must have all the necessary equipment and I think many of these old wooden blocks and flanges and forms are very dusty and disused here in Europe, but the illusion of having a lot for little money is hard to die.
That said with all due respect to the participants to this discussion that I invite to enjoy the Daquino hats not look for what is not there.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for keeping us on topic. I'm trying to ENJOY a Daquino hat... I'm simply having trouble finding out if it can be made and if so, ordered and purchased.

Yes, back on topic. Despite the hats not being of the level of quality of some of the true custom hatters here on the Lounge, the hats provided to me have been more than satisfactory. The service has been excellent, response time very good. Bob, have you sent a note over the Etsy site yet? It's never taken more than a few days to get back with me except for when she's on leave.

I think, given our knowledge of some limitations, a customer-specified hat can be had at a great value. The materials and workmanship are good, and Luisa is amenable to custom requests. You can't call Stetson and specify material, brim width and color combos, and doing that with a custom hatter will run you considerably more than D'Aquino. I like value for my $$ and I think I'm getting it here.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Shoot, Joao, sometimes we can't understand the people who live in other parts of our country! You should see somebody from Baton Rouge try to communicate with somebody from Brooklyn. lol
Same problem in Spain and it is smaller than the US. Spanish people from Madrid cannot communicate with people from the south or north. We Portuguese can understand them all but they cannot understand us nor each other.

My Brazilian sister-in-law speaks fluent Broken English, too. Not so my Azorean neighbor. DO they (from Azores) count, Joao?
Azores speaks Portuguese but their accent is very very different. The "Mirandeses" (Interior north of Portugal) also have a accent but still more understandable than Brazilian Portuguese. The same for people from Algarve and Alentejo.

I'm trying to ENJOY a Daquino hat... I'm simply having trouble finding out if it can be made and if so, ordered and purchased.
Get in touch with Luísa through their ETSY store. If you do not do that, you will always be trying.

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
New hat arrived today! Very happy. What do you think??
e1788ac0585ab8b3972b997d6d29c24c.jpg
fd1ab014a550c016ac804371550d29e4.jpg
5636dfb89bf4716cc94900ab5f9570a7.jpg

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Looks great! How long did it take to get? And is that the light grey? Medium grey?
Thanks! It's light grey with medium grey ribbon. Took about a month. She had been on holiday and got backlogged a bit. Shipping took about one week. (The total time was one month, including shipping)

Very nice, Serge. I like the contrasting brim binding, the color combo sets it off nicely. Did you ask for any special blocking considerations, or order "off the rack?" It seems three to four weeks is the turnaround time on these. I'm planning on another soon, and will also be ordering something for my wife next time.

javadave61

Practically Family
Thanks! It's light grey with medium grey ribbon. Took about a month. She had been on holiday and got backlogged a bit. Shipping took about one week. (The total time was one month, including shipping)

I have a light grey on order with matching brim binding and burgundy ribbon. I lack having a traditional grey fedora, through the burgundy ribbon might not make it all that "traditional." Glad to see the "light" grey isn't so light.

Is that a 2 1/2" brim? Did you request a specific size?

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
Very nice, Serge. I like the contrasting brim binding, the color combo sets it off nicely. Did you ask for any special blocking considerations, or order "off the rack?" It seems three to four weeks is the turnaround time on these. I'm planning on another soon, and will also be ordering something for my wife next time.
Thanks. I went with standard height and asked for very little taper. Might go slightly higher and even less taper next time.

Curious to see what you are going to order next. The first two hats turned out great!

sergejvandervreede

One Too Many
I have a light grey on order with matching brim binding and burgundy ribbon. I lack having a traditional grey fedora, through the burgundy ribbon might not make it all that "traditional." Glad to see the "light" grey isn't so light.

Is that a 2 1/2" brim? Did you request a specific size?
Sounds like a great combo. This is the smaller brim of the two classic Fedoras she has listed on Etsy. I think it's listed as 2 1/4 (it measures 6cm)

Thanks. I went with standard height and asked for very little taper. Might go slightly higher and even less taper next time.

Curious to see what you are going to order next. The first two hats turned out great!

Thanks, man. Since I screwed up my order from last time, I'm going to try to get it right this time. lol

And I want her to make my wife an Aviatrix in bunny (Agent Carter hat).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails