Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about this hatmaker Daquino?

ingineer

One Too Many
Thanks Guys for the heads up.
Just ordered a white one, blue band and asked for less taper with open crown.
2.75 inch brim

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Well, the good news is it's in Japan already, and released by customs. The bad news is it's "with duties". Hope it's not too much - that's a first for me since I've been here.

ingineer

One Too Many
Quick response on order:

"Hi!

Thank you so much for your order.

I will do my best to meet your requirements.

Regards from Portugal!

Luisa"

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
OK, the hat is here. There's a bit of an issue (see the Ebay or "Ask" threads) in that there was some damage from shipping (the cardboard insert seems to have scratched the brim somewhat). I've been working at that with steam and a brush; now I need to decide whether I can live with the results.

Overall experience: communication was excellent. Hat took about two weeks to make from the time of payment, and it arrived in Japan in less than 10 days from shipment. Packed very securely (perhaps too securely, see above), with a nice card from Luisa.

So here's what I asked for. I sent Luisa some pics of a 40's Stetson Flagship (Buler, if you're reading, it was the one you sold last Fall) that I found especially beautiful. We discussed the open crown height, brim width, ribbon width, etc.. I gave Luisa creative license but basically we agreed, get as close to that look as possible.

So the result is as you see it. The first thing I have to say is during production, Luisa sent me a note saying she couldn't find a felt in rabbit that was close enough to the color I requested so she decided to use a 100% beaver felt from FEPSA (where she gets all her fur felts) and was that OK? Well, yes, I said - that was certainly OK. So that's how I got a clear beaver fedora custom made and shipped to Japan for under a hundred bucks. That service impressed the hell out of me.

Looks: The hat is beautiful IMHO. It's not a photocopy of the 40's Flagship I sent her pics of, no. The color is slightly different - Buler's had a hint of tan, and this is more pure grey with the hint of lilac in certain light - I would say it's close to Art Fawcett's "Dove" to my eye. She uses a darker ribbon than in the original. There's a bit of crown taper here (I never specifically said no taper, but there's little or none in the hat I modeled). What I liken it to, I suppose, is an artist doing a painting - they're not trying to do a photograph, but an impression. This, to me, looks like a 40's Flagship as interpreted by a European eye - a bit of the swagger is swapped out for a bit of panache.

Quality: For starters, the felt is... special. I've never owned a pure beaver hat, but I have seen reference to a "100" hat that "shapes like clay" - and that's what this one is like. Soft as butter, yet firm and takes and holds a shape, with a snappy brim. I think she did a great job with the bash, which is a basic Jimmy crease (for me, as close to the perfect bash as there is), so I'm not going to do much to change that. The felt is not super-thin but the hat is lightweight. Of the felt fedoras I own - late 50's Cavanagh and Borsalino, early 50's Stetson 3X Beaver, and a more modern Stetson OR - I would say the feel, hand and weight of the felt is closest to the Borsalino (of which I have no idea about the beaver content).

Ribbon work, stitching, liner and brim treatment are as you see them. Liner is definitely satin (no plastic insert), sweat I would judge to be real leather and not leatherette, of moderate quality. I think she did an excellent job with the ribbon work, and the brim - while obviously not as seamless as a Cavanagh Edge or anything - is neatly done.

All in all, I would judge myself to be more than satisfied - the hat is not a carbon copy of what I sent her, but it's quite lovely in its own right. Bear in mind in most cases I don't think you'll be getting beaver, but it's hard to go wrong with this price. The only downer for me is the aforementioned shipping damage, about which I'm still undecided how to proceed.

IMG_2132.jpg IMG_2133.jpg IMG_2128.jpg IMG_2134.jpg IMG_2121.jpg IMG_2120.jpg IMG_2119.jpg

Thanks again, Enzo. As I posted in the other thread, I'm going to close my deal as soon as she gets back with me. And I'm kind of running her through the paces on my requests, at least to me. You indicated when you ordered ~5" crown after bash. Do you know what your open crown height is? Also, could you post a closeup of the ribbon/bow work when you get a chance?

THX

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Thanks again, Enzo. As I posted in the other thread, I'm going to close my deal as soon as she gets back with me. And I'm kind of running her through the paces on my requests, at least to me. You indicated when you ordered ~5" crown after bash. Do you know what your open crown height is? Also, could you post a closeup of the ribbon/bow work when you get a chance?

THX

I can't tell you exactly because I don't want to mess with the bash too much (as stated, I think she nailed it) but I would guess between 5-5 1/8". If anything it might be a bit short of what the original looked to be, but not much.

What I can tell you is if you want characteristically American style elements, I would be as specific as possible - "absolutely no taper", etc. I'm not sure you want to do that, because I do think Luisa has an artist's eye and touch, and it might be better to let her have a little bit of license to apply it. Her sensibility is more European, but where else are you going to get a custom fur felt for what she's charging so if you want to try and get something copied as exactly as possible, go for it. I can for sure tell you that the felting is superb on this hat, and even if you get a 100% rabbit the fact that it's coming from FEPSA should be a guarantee that it's going to be a nicely pounced, high-quality hat body.

IMG_2476.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 213

AMGbullitt

Familiar Face
Wow Enzo that hat looks terrific.
I have placed my order and am waiting to hear back form Luisa to finalize details.
Really looking forward to receiving my hat from her, now even more.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Wow Enzo that hat looks terrific.
I have placed my order and am waiting to hear back form Luisa to finalize details.
Really looking forward to receiving my hat from her, now even more.

I so badly wanted to love it that I fear I can't be unbiased looking at it, but I do think it's a very nice lid. That's why I'm reluctant to return it over the brim issue - maybe I can try again with the steam and a slightly firmer brush. To me it kind of has the look of a Flagship or Whippet if it had been designed by Borsalino.

AMGbullitt

Familiar Face
Enzo that is great to hear. I am a huge fan of the Whippet. My wife got one for me for xmas. Something similar to the Whippet is exactly what I asked Luisa to make for me.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Enzo that is great to hear. I am a huge fan of the Whippet. My wife got one for me for xmas. Something similar to the Whippet is exactly what I asked Luisa to make for me.

Well, judge for yourself - what do you think? It's clearly not a photocopy and I did show her the Flagship rather than the Whippet (though the 40's Flagship has always looked pretty Whippety to me) but to me, it definitely captures something of the essence of the piece. I think the pics I posted show enough detail for you to decide that yourself, though - and it is your money on the line.

Last edited:
Open crown for most vintage Flagships/Whippets would be 5 1/2". On customs, I like to order 5 5/8" or 5 3/4" open crown.
Seems like a Fepsa 100% beaver felt body would be more than $100 by itself....I know 100% beaver felt bodies from Winchester are...

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Open crown for most vintage Flagships/Whippets would be 5 1/2". On customs, I like to order 5 5/8" or 5 3/4" open crown.
Seems like a Fepsa 100% beaver felt body would be more than $100 by itself....I know 100% beaver felt bodies from Winchester are...

I assume it's cheaper for her being in Lisbon, not to mention Portugal's economy being what it is, it's the cheapest country in mainland Europe to begin with.

Of she could be BS-ing me, though that would be a funny story to make up. And the hat feels distinctly different than any rabbit or rabbit-beaver blend hat I have.

I assume it's cheaper for her being in Lisbon, not to mention Portugal's economy being what it is, it's the cheapest country in mainland Europe to begin with.

Of she could be BS-ing me, though that would be a funny story to make up. And the hat feels distinctly different than any rabbit or rabbit-beaver blend hat I have.

No telling because for US hatters the beaver fur pelts have to travel to Europe to be processed with Winchester getting bales of beaver fur back to make into felt bodies. Fepsa gets to make them there then ship to US hatters. She does get the benefit of skipping this last trip across the pond, tariffs, etc.
Still at under $100, her profit margin on your lid has to be very slim. JMHO

89quattro

One of the Regulars

I just sent her a note asking if she can go up to a 6" open crown, tall and straight with no taper. Used this as an example, taken from the NW facebook page...

10400764_945489622130012_4624073665030686331_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters