Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about this hatmaker Daquino?

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Enzo, a fine looking hat. And nice pictures of Nanzen-Ji (I was there a few months ago, wearing a heather gray fedora from Optimo, but I didn't take any selfies).

I also have to commend you for your avatar. The 4th Doctor is still the best. (I wonder what brand of hat he wore.)

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Enzo, a fine looking hat. And nice pictures of Nanzen-Ji (I was there a few months ago, wearing a heather gray fedora from Optimo, but I didn't take any selfies).

I also have to commend you for your avatar. The 4th Doctor is still the best. (I wonder what brand of hat he wore.)

Nanzen-ji is always a treat. This time I went up to the grotto on the hill behind the main buildings, and also Tenju-an subtemple - utterly suprb gardens in there.

Tom Baker's hat was, I believe, a Herbert Johnson model called "The Poet". The most famous one, anyway - he went through a few.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I thought about using a campdraft. As Joao says they are traditional Portuguese horse riding hats
View attachment 25977

Just last week I tried to bash my new Camp Draft into the telescope porkpie style crown like the Akubra factory bash. Lots of steam. No luck. All creases and wrinkles. Couldn't make the dome either. A real nightmare. I'll just get the Squatter.

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Enzo, I took my time to watch with attention to your excellent new Daquino.
First it seems to me more close to a Barbisio shape than a French vintage hat. Not in the bash of crown but the general shape
vfegc8.jpg

I like the hat and it seems to me a real different way to interpreter the wide birms + high crown. It is an excellent UE hat.
My suggestion is to use US hatters for US hats and EU hatters for Old Continental hats.
I think you will have more satisfaction and enjoy the Luisa creation!

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Heh, find me a US hatter that'll make me a custom fur felt (never mind beaver) knockoff on an old Flagship for under a hundred dollars shipped and I'll get right on it!

I find the fusion of vintage American and European styling very appealing, in spite of or perhaps even because of the oddness of it, so no complaints from me on that score. I just wish the shipping damage had never happened.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Tenju-an is lovely, as is Konchi-in.

Unfortunately, the day we visited was just after Christmas and coincided with the closure of several of the Nanzen-ji gardens and buildings for the New Year holiday. Had we been there the day before, we could have seen them all. But there is so much to see in Kyoto, no single visit can cover everything. And each garden is worth seeing in all four season, too. Appreciating it all is the work of a lifetime.

I believe the Poet was also the hat used in the 1st Indiana Jones movie. When I dressed up like Tom Baker in high school, I wore my old Indy knock-off hat from Burlington Coat Factory. It was wool, but it was a very good looking hat until just recently, when moths attacked while it was in storage (I couldn't take everything with me when I moved to Shanghai).

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Posting this here because I think it's interesting, not necessarily because it's specific to Daquino. I was really struck from the beginning with how much this hat appears to change color depending on the lighting - I know that's normal with fur felt, but I've never noticed so much obvious change before (maybe beaver shows it in a more pronounced way?). The first pic is in natural (indirect) light, and the second in ample artificial light. This bizarre collection of rods and cones we possess and the way it interprets light really is a fascinating thing.

IMG_2245.jpg
IMG_2121.jpg

Last edited:

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Hi Enzo,
Fascinating photos! The fact that you're capturing the difference digitally suggests that the rods and cones of the eyes have nothing to do with the disparate appearances. In the color sciences, we refer to metamerism, or the ability to look different colors under different illumination conditions and lighting. It is in fact one of the more difficult aspects of color matching paints an prints.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
GE, does your hat look that much different to your eye too or is this mainly poor white balance control by your camera?

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
GE, does your hat look that much different to your eye too or is this mainly poor white balance control by your camera?

It absolutely looks that different. Or at least to a 95% degree. That visual impression was what prompted me to want to do a side-by-side photo comparison in the first place.

Again, of course we see that with fur felt hats (the degree to which I see green in my 3X Stetson changes quite a bit, for example). I just don't ever remember noticing such a stark difference.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Today I had to go to the hospital in Lisbon and since my Dental Doctor released me in a rush I went downtown to see D'Aquino physical store.
daquinostore01.jpg

I met Rita there (Luísa wasn't there) and told me it's really hard to get me a giant hat 100% beaver felt :(
Most hat's I seen were wool with the possibility of making them in bunny or beaver felt.
Here and there some hat tools.
daquinostore02.jpg

daquinostore03.jpg

daquinostore04.jpg

Hats everywhere
daquinostore05.jpg

daquinostore06.jpg

daquinostore07.jpg

daquinostore08.jpg

daquinostore09.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Some westerns-a-like
daquinostore10.jpg

A "Chapéu à Portuguesa" in brown
daquinostore11.jpg

D'Aquino liner
daquinostore12.jpg

and D'Aquino stamp on sweatbands
daquinostore13.jpg

I left some instructions with Rita if she can help me.

ingineer

One Too Many
Joao;
Thank you for the pictures.
The Chapéu à Portuguesa looks very interesting. i would buy that if it was not "lana" ( i am assuming that is wool )
bound brim!!!
After seeing the welted brim in previous hats makes me think she is very capable.
That store front would be a fortune in NYC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn