Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about this hatmaker Daquino?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Woao, Joao - you were felt even in Portuguese summers? I stand in awe of your ability to keep a cool head!
It's easy, just don't be in the sun for long. I only wear a straw when I go to the beach. Don't want my felt hat stolen :) and it looks weird to wear a felt hat when you see a lot of straw hats.
Last time I was in Algarve (south region of Portugal), I wore my black Tom Mix. Big crown, lot's of room, cool head. It sure turned a lot of heads.

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
I received my D'Aquino fur felt fedora today and I couldn't be more pleased. I asked Luisa to make it a tight 59 since I run 58.5 and she accommodated. It has just the right amount of play so that it should fit perfectly after sweating in. The felt is halfway between the soft compliant felt of my production-grade Biltmores and the thick and stiff-as-board Akubra Fed IV Deluxe. I'd say the perfect weight and hand for spring and early summer wear. The finish is a smooth, short nap that feels neat to the touch if just a bit unremarkable. Overall, two thumbs up for an absolutely amazing value and positive purchasing experience!

Last edited:

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Except on Etsy she lists it as Daquino, which I think adds to the confusion.

Ginseng, looks lovely - what kind of specs did you give Luisa?

The only thing I could say that's a negative is that I wish she used some sort of plastic or oilskin in the liner, as the ink on the logo is starting to run a bit as I sweat in the hat. But apart from that, it's a stunner. And I realize more and more as I wear it how lucky I was to get a beaver hat body - the feel and weight is remarkable.

IMG_2558.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up

The only thing I could say that's a negative is that I wish she used some sort of plastic or oilskin in the liner, as the ink on the logo is starting to run a bit as I sweat in the hat. But apart from that, it's a stunner. And I realize more and more as I wear it how lucky I was to get a beaver hat body - the feel and weight is remarkable.
Maybe because she was unable to add the ' in the name.
Not everyone likes the plastic top on the liner. I'm OK with it.

Great looking hat, Ginseng. I'll echo Enzo and ask what specs you gave her. Mine shipped yesterday, so hopefully I'll be able to post photos, etc. next week.

Ginseng

One of the Regulars

Great looking hat, Ginseng. I'll echo Enzo and ask what specs you gave her. Mine shipped yesterday, so hopefully I'll be able to post photos, etc. next week.

Gentlemen,
Since this was my first hat with D'Aquino, I wanted to go as stock as possible to establish a baseline for their standard quality of work. Thus, I ordered the "Fur Felt Fedora, Classic Style Hat, 2.75" brim." The color was Dark Gray. Size 23-1/4" or 59. The only tweak was to specify 59 cm tight...which Luisa executed precisly right. So, essentially bone stock.

Since their hats are so reasonably priced, I'm perfectly happy to evolve my orders in steps.

My next order will likely be an open crown fur, 3.5" flat brim, 4.5" crown, trimmed with the leather band of their "Wool Felt Safari Style Hat." The intent would be to make it a "Hang em High" style telescope.

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
I've placed my order for D'acquino hat in beaver felt, light grey in coloration. Hopefully, I will see it shortly. I'll post pictures when I receive it and give a review.

ingineer

One Too Many
Just arrived, this wowed them at the bodega.
More when photoshop is working better.
Mr. Dean How did she respond to the large brim request, what did you use as a model, Austral?

ingineer

One Too Many
Enzo, yes bunny and marked coelho, very soft and plush, of course white (or pastels) go through additional bleaching stage.
i have only one pure beaver to compare, but it feels that soft
no request for height only less taper, 2 3/4 brim. requested blue ribbon, got black, Ok with me.
So was a trial run for me. would have asked for bound brim if i had known she was capable.
fit is spot on, a big concern for me as i am between 60 and 61
Mr. Dean 3 inches max! Joao must be in tears.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Coelho = Rabbit

I don't think D'Aquino factory have big felts. Rita have not contacted me yet...
3" brim would be my limit but I don't want more 3" brim hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy