Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about this hatmaker Daquino?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao;
Thank you for the pictures.
The Chapéu à Portuguesa looks very interesting. i would buy that if it was not "lana" ( i am assuming that is wool )
bound brim!!!
After seeing the welted brim in previous hats makes me think she is very capable.
That store front would be a fortune in NYC
I also would buy one if it had a bigger brim. I asked Rita how much more brim can it have in bunny and beaver. She will enquire the factory and let me know. If I recall that had a 3.5" brim.
The sweatband looked to be nice leather.
I don't know the store rent, but it is not in the tourists main routes (about a block away). There are two more windows in the other street.

Very interesting,thanks Joao.
Thank you very much for sharing these photos, Joao!
Glad you liked.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Another look at the Daquino afield, at Kyoto Station. Woe, for a mug worthy of all that tasty beaver sitting on it...

IMG_2481b.jpg

100% Fepsa Beaver felt

Just ordered a custom hat from Luisa, who has been a joy to work with via Etsy "conversation".
100% Beaver felt body, natural color
3" raw edge brim (wider if she can)
4 1/2" open crown
Basically, a Boss of the Plains type 2 config (4 1/2" instead of 4" crown)

Hey Joao,

Did you see my hat?

It will hopefully be shipping in about a week.

And yes, gtdean, she is a pleasure to work with. I'm already planning on my next purchase, and I don't have this first one yet.

Just ordered a custom hat from Luisa, who has been a joy to work with via Etsy "conversation".
100% Beaver felt body, natural color
3" raw edge brim (wider if she can)
4 1/2" open crown
Basically, a Boss of the Plains type 2 config (4 1/2" instead of 4" crown)

Did she alter her price for the beaver?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Hey Joao,

Did you see my hat?

It will hopefully be shipping in about a week.
There was a box to ship in the counter, you can see it in one of the pictures, but I didn't ask to were it was going.
I would probably be meddling too much. She was very very nice to allow me to take pictures of the store and some items so I didn't want to abuse.

AMGbullitt

Familiar Face
That might have been my hat. I know it was supposed to be shipping any time, if not already.
I too have asked her to look into a 100% pure beaver for me. Waiting to hear back on my color choice.
Thanks so much for the pictures. Always nice to see where the magic happens!!!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao,

Thanks tons for the photos. I'll pretend that was my hat. The folks at the shop must be understanding they've generated a buzz around here, though.
Rita did acknowledge the lounge but didn't ask if she read it frequently.

That fact, and the fact that she worked with Enzo to get the color he was looking for are very encouraging. Great customer service, it seems.
I think Enzo was lucky for Luísa find a felt with an almost match color he asked. Rita told me that only with an minimal order of 10 felts that FEPSA will make them.

Hello, Joao. I saw in the background several straws, but I don't see them on her site. How'd they look?
I'm not much a straw/panama guy since I wear felt all year round so I did not examined one. I might take a look when I get there (if Rita find what I want) or you can ask Luísa for info about them.

That might have been my hat. I know it was supposed to be shipping any time, if not already.
I too have asked her to look into a 100% pure beaver for me. Waiting to hear back on my color choice.
Thanks so much for the pictures. Always nice to see where the magic happens!!!
Maybe, who knows. The hats are not made there, they are made in a factory. I only know a hat factory in Portugal and they say they are the only one making hats.
Maybe they are the ones who make hats for stores. I think I'll ask them if they can help me get a giant western in 100% beaver felt -> http://chapeuscostalarga.pt/

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Joao. It is good to see hatters are still working un Europa.
Some of the hats "Costalarga" made are really interesting.
Let us know if they are available to make single hat. Could be a chance......

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
I'm not much a straw/panama guy since I wear felt all year round so I did not examined one. I might take a look when I get there (if Rita find what I want) or you can ask Luísa for info about them.

Woao, Joao - you were felt even in Portuguese summers? I stand in awe of your ability to keep a cool head!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy