Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know anything about this hatmaker Daquino?

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
I had an email about a week ago from Luisa apologising for the delay and saying she was a bit overwhelmed with orders and was running behind. I'm not surprised she's busy though, a custom fur-felt hat for £50!

Thanks for the update. Obviously word of mouth from a place like this and a 1-woman operation can lead to this sort of thing, so I'm happy to be patient. I just hope she can keep the quality level up with the increased demand.

Aether

One of the Regulars
Mine turned up yesterday!

First impressions:

Nicely boxed and packaged, so the hat arrived in perfect condition (with a nice hand written 'thank you' postcard). Very neat binding and ribbon work - I asked for mid-grey ribbon and light grey binding - The sweatband and liner are well done too. Nice lightweight felt in Dove Grey, very supple and soft - the finish is a little 'fluffy', I may try pouncing it (that's the correct term, right?!).

I didn't give any special shaping instructions so it came pre-creased in a low-teardrop with a 2 3/8" brim - after wearing my Akubra Campdraft it seems tiny!

I'll post some pictures later.

Nick

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Mine turned up yesterday!

First impressions:

Nicely boxed and packaged, so the hat arrived in perfect condition (with a nice hand written 'thank you' postcard). Very neat binding and ribbon work - I asked for mid-grey ribbon and light grey binding - The sweatband and liner are well done too. Nice lightweight felt in Dove Grey, very supple and soft - the finish is a little 'fluffy', I may try pouncing it (that's the correct term, right?!).

I didn't give any special shaping instructions so it came pre-creased in a low-teardrop with a 2 3/8" brim - after wearing my Akubra Campdraft it seems tiny!

I'll post some pictures later.

Nick

Oh damn, I wanna see those! On the cusp of pulling the trigger myself.

That's nice. I'm about to pull the trigger on one myself. Luisa sent a photo of the color I chose (a very midnight blue) and it's pretty much what I was looking for. I'm trying to find some light grey/blue/mist vintage ribbon in 2+" to finish it off, as she said she'd work with me on the ribbon.

Aether

One of the Regulars
Frunobulax - I was initially going to go for the blue too, it's a really nice shade that doesn't really come across on the Etsy pictures.

I think this one makes a nice 'City' hat. It goes well with a grey or blue suit and has a classic English Trilby look to it.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Nick, that hat does look great on you. You're happy with the workmanship and materials overall? Good quality felt and leather? I like that you said it's a lightweight felt, because the one I'm considering is going to be primarily a summer hat for me.

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
Guardian Enzo - Thanks. I should first mention that this is my 2nd fur-felt hat (although I've handled a few others) so my judgement is based on that. But I'm happy with the construction and materials, all of the stitching is very neat and precise. The felt is very supple and lighter in weight than my Imperial grade Akubra. The sweatband is fairly thin and flexible but looks to be some kind of processed leather - a cost saving here, but to be expected I suppose.
There isn't a plastic bit in the crown lining, so it'll be a bit more breathable there.

Last edited:
Nick,

Is there somewhere I'm missing on the site that has a better array of her color palette? The photo of the dark blue fedora she sent was one I've not seen when looking at the products she features. Di she provide you with something prior to you picking what you wanted?

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Well, I took the plunge - "risk it for a biscuit" as Ralfy Mitchell would say. The price is right, anyway.

I gave Luisa a pretty extensive list of what I was looking for, and I'm definitely aiming high with the styling. I'll post pics when the hat arrives.

Knotten

Practically Family
Has anyone purchased a fur felt Homburg from this hatmaker? Just wondering about its quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

89quattro

One of the Regulars
Guardian Enzo - Thanks. I should first mention that this is my 2nd fur-felt hat (although I've handled a few others) so my judgement is based on that. But I'm happy with the construction and materials, all of the stitching is very neat and precise. The felt is very supple and lighter in weight than my Imperial grade Akubra. The sweatband is fairly thin and flexible but looks to be some kind of processed leather - a cost saving here, but to be expected I suppose.
There isn't a plastic bit in the crown lining, so it'll be a bit more breathable there.

Received mine yesterday. I will agree that the felt is very soft and light when compared to my other 2 hats which are both Stetson Temples...the Stetsons feel more stiff and “card-boardy” (is that a word?). There are a few minor rough spots on the crown which could use a bit of sanding, but they are not a big deal.

The crown has a significant amount of taper, which is not exactly what I was looking for. I had requested something more similar to Mr. Garrisons Indy Traveler model, which has a taller, less tapered crown, and would allow the hat to fit better on my melon head. As it is now, the circumference is fine (25 1/8”) but the top of my head pushes the hat up way too high, regardless of what I do to the bash.

Shape / styling looks exactly like the images posted by Aether and Blackjack. Looks good on those chaps, but not so good on my noggin.

Could be that she has a limited selection of blocks to use. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

Aether

One of the Regulars
Looking forward to the pics 89quatro.

I know what you mean about the taper, I'd prefer less too. I'm still fairly new to hats, but I think it may be quite a common feature on European hats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner