Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone notice the "style" of.....

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
InspectorMorse said:
Yes, John Thaw was great- obviously, I admired him and his work on the series as I picked my moniker as a tribute to him...I really miss his work...and cherish what he left us....BTW, I grew up on Christie and other British detective authors and I suppose they helped shape whatever level of style and taste I possess- Christie's work began in the 20's and for the most part is 30's-ish (thanks for the "adjustment.") It is all just wonderful work!

Staying with John Thaw, if you get the chance you must watch "Goodnight Mr Tom" Set during the second world war, where a young evacuee comes to stay with him in the country. I guarantee there will not be a dry eye in the house, and it's one of his finest performances.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love the Jeremy Brett Holmes. I have all but the 'feature film' box on DVD. I'm looking to get it soon. I received the Hornblower set yesterday for my birthday after wanting it for years.

As for Ioan's 'flop', if you're speaking of Fantastic Four, they're releasing the sequel this summer (I think) with him again cast as Mr. Fantastic. I'm sure he'll take those kinds of paychecks any day. He's also in the newly released 'Amazing Grace'. As stated, I think he's more of a real actor in the old sense.

Don't forget Jeeves & Wooster with Fry & Laurie for wonderful Golden Age style.

Holmes

Devil's Advocate here again. I always thought Brett's Holmes was far too flamboyant. All those little inflections and sudden movements when not actively searching clues - just not supported by the stories.

I am eager to see Clive Merrison play him in a film production. His radio Holmes is spot on; the absolute best i've ever heard - even better than the classic 50s productions. Just the right mix of humour, languor and energy.; and, for once, Watson not being portrayed as a bumbling idiot (for me, the major flaw of most of the previous Watson characterisations).

Poirot

I recently found out that Poirot's wardrobe was custom made in the early 1990s. Not vintage at all, apparently. Though i'm sill convinced that Hastings' wardrobe is vintage.

bk

Miss Sis

One Too Many
We recently met some of the costume designers who worked on Poiret and Jeeves and Wooster. Extremely nice people who are, until perhaps the end of April, running a 1930s style tea shop in Shropshire (England) called Bird on the Rock. It is in the middle of nowhere and they are giving it up to move closer to London to do some freelance work. This is a great shame because it is a real old fashioned tea room and is wonderful. They blend their own tea and the cakes and scones are excellent.

We asked what happened to the costumes and they said they went either to the big costume hirers like Angels or into the television channels wardrobe department. So none of them will be coming up for sale by the looks of things.

They have the little lapel 'vase' in a frame with a collar worn by David Suchet as Poiret on the wall. These could be worn when a chap was not wearing a handkerchief or pocket square, and it is quite correct to wear them during the day, the usual flower being a carnation. Most sit behind the lapel so they aren't seen, they are just there to keep the flower fresher for longer. If you watch Jeeves and Wooster Bertie is often seen wearing a flower in the lapel.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Miss Sis said:
We recently met some of the costume designers who worked on Poiret and Jeeves and Wooster. Extremely nice people who are, until perhaps the end of April, running a 1930s style tea shop in Shropshire (England) called Bird on the Rock. It is in the middle of nowhere and they are giving it up to move closer to London to do some freelance work. This is a great shame because it is a real old fashioned tea room and is wonderful. They blend their own tea and the cakes and scones are excellent.

We asked what happened to the costumes and they said they went either to the big costume hirers like Angels or into the television channels wardrobe department. So none of them will be coming up for sale by the looks of things.

They have the little lapel 'vase' in a frame with a collar worn by David Suchet as Poiret on the wall. These could be worn when a chap was not wearing a handkerchief or pocket square, and it is quite correct to wear them during the day, the usual flower being a carnation. Most sit behind the lapel so they aren't seen, they are just there to keep the flower fresher for longer. If you watch Jeeves and Wooster Bertie is often seen wearing a flower in the lapel.

Wow...did they say whether Bertie's wardrobe was vintage or repro? I've always wondered about that. I wondered about Poirot's, too, until I saw BK's post above.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
shindeco said:
Minor correction: Poirot is actually set in 1935-36. It's very well researched (wish I could have applied for THAT job!!) According to the "companion book", a lot of the clothes are vintage. Think they'll ever sell them off? [drifts off into a dream...]

Who wrote the companion book?

I tried to Google it but "Poirot companion" keeps coming up as Hastings!

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Chief Inspector Jericho

Now, I didn't live in London but, I did grow up in the '50s and early '60s (Oh I just dated myself:eusa_doh: ) and these guys look and act like my old man and his pals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany