Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone own a J. Peterman Cavalry Twill Coat?

cbrunt

One of the Regulars
I don't own one, however, it looks like a great jacket... and I'd be interested in input as well. But I wish they'd just put photos in their catalogs...

Clint

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I just ordered one yesterday. It was on clearance for $98 and they took an additional 16% off of that. Made it quite affordable. I will post the pics when I get it. Plus I managed to get my wife their short sleeve 1947 dress for $58. She's been wanting one for some time now.
Anyway, I'll let you know what I think about the Cavalry Twill Coat when I get it next week.

Cheers!

Dan

CopperNY

A-List Customer
thanks for the heads up!

just placed an order. been looking for a nice jacket, and that is a great price.

also found a 10% coupon online.

i also wish they wouldn't use the line drawings, but i figure i can always return it.....

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WOW, That was quick...

Just got mine in todays' post. Very lightweight wool, looks almost like suit material. Seems to run a bit large as I as a 40R OTR every time & this fit is a bit loose, arms a bit too long, though I am certain that with a midweight sweater underneath it should fit just about right. Love the details- side tabs,vented back & backbelt. I just wish it fit a little more true to size. I would've felt hosed at $229 but for one c-note including delivery-meh- [huh] an OK deal. Seven of ten. My .o2.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
What size?

Rick Blaine said:
Just got mine in todays' post. Very lightweight wool, looks almost like suit material. Seems to run a bit large as I as a 40R OTR every time & this fit is a bit loose, arms a bit too long, though I am certain that with a midweight sweater underneath it should fit just about right. Love the details- side tabs,vented back & backbelt. I just wish it fit a little more true to size. I would've felt hosed at $229 but for one c-note including delivery-meh- [huh] an OK deal. Seven of ten. My .o2.

What size did you order?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wow, that was speedy Rick. Mine shipped Monday and won't be here until Friday. Can't wait. It sounds like from your description that the fabric is similar to the wool cavalry twill that Wested uses for their Indy trousers. Maybe a touch heavier?
Would love to see some pics if you have them. :D

Cheers!

Dan

CopperNY

A-List Customer
got mine today as well.

ordered a Large. i usually wear a 42R (or Athletic). i'm 6', 210# and the large size is a trim cut, but not tight. plenty of shoulder room.

the material is indeed lightweight. very much like my modern suit jackets.

currently my only gripe is that the cuff openings are extremely large and moving the cuff strap to the next button creates a "paper bag" effect at the cuff.

will try and get some pictures up later.....

this may be a "catch and release" for me. [huh]

holdencain

One of the Regulars
CopperNY said:
got mine today as well.

ordered a Large. i usually wear a 42R (or Athletic). i'm 6', 210# and the large size is a trim cut, but not tight. plenty of shoulder room.

the material is indeed lightweight. very much like my modern suit jackets.

currently my only gripe is that the cuff openings are extremely large and moving the cuff strap to the next button creates a "paper bag" effect at the cuff.

will try and get some pictures up later.....

this may be a "catch and release" for me. [huh]

I also got mine today. It is HORRIBLE! Yuck! I am similar size and a Large was waaay to big.
Going back tomorrow.
H

CopperNY

A-List Customer
5058085527_8a0bb3075a_b.jpg

5058085677_dc5eeb7ecc_b.jpg

5058085817_13bcdfcd31_b.jpg

5058698408_2e0946452a_b.jpg

5058697644_c6be51561e_b.jpg

Rick Blaine

Possible stupid question ahead...

Would it be feasible to shrink this in cold water & a hot dryer? Does anyone know? If I could draw this up just a titch, I'd be spot on. I have done it successfully with some much coarser wools. Never anything with this weight & finish. [huh]

CopperNY

A-List Customer
don't see why not.

maybe a light misting with water from a spray bottle and tumble (in a net bag) on low heat? repeat until satisfied?

mine went back in the box tonight with the return shipping label attached. just not for me.

Rick Blaine

CopperNY said:
don't see why not.

maybe a light misting with water from a spray bottle and tumble (in a net bag) on low heat? repeat until satisfied?

mine went back in the box tonight with the return shipping label attached. just not for me.

Understood. I am more Tom Joad than James Dean, but it IS a cool jacket, IMHO.

Viper Man

Banned
I haven't posted much lately but i did order this a few months ago when the price wasn't as reasonable. I wound up returning it because I was hoping to be able to wear this in Chicago winters and that just wasn't going to happen. The thing is way too thin. I thought it would work in cold weather since it is labeled as a "coat" and not "jacket" but it is clearly a jacket.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
From the looks of it , I think it'll fit me similarly as my M42 field coat that I got from ATF and probably have that same lighter feel. A bit loose so I can add a sweater for layering. If I need a winter coat I have my Mackinaw to go over this. If the cuffs are the same, I have a local taylor that can adjust them for me so the sleeves are tapered. I went into this one knowing that it may need to be fitted a bit here & there so the lower price tag didn't sting as much if it isn't 100% what I was expecting. I could even have her add a fleece lining in the body to make it a bit warmer. We shall see.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Funny how the J. Peterman illustrations are disliked, but the old Banana Republic safari illustrations in their catalogs back in the day are fondly reminisced upon. Just an observation. ;)

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy