Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone play Bridge?

JimWagner

Practically Family
Only tried bridge a few times many years ago, but never really found others who wanted to play. I did play a lot of double deck Pinochle once upon a time.

These days it's more likely to Mah Jong with my wife and her family.

Mav

A-List Customer
Played some canasta growing up (my parents were into it) and in college but never understood bridge.
Now it's pretty much just cribbage.

filfoster

One Too Many
A Bridge Too Far...

Last year two other couples, my wife and I made an earnest attempt to learn it, over several months, with the help of one of our group's parents who were kind and very encouraging. Alas, their daughter was the one who enjoyed it least and we stopped.
It seems like something grown ups are supposed to do, but so did smoking.
I am afraid we have reverted to Euchre which is much more amenable to allowing its participants to enjoy an adult beverage. We are many years beyond beer pong but honestly, another Bridge attempt will not be made soon. That said, it will be made again, however because....it's something adults should know how to do!
The key seemed to be to learn the arcane language of bidding. Playing was pretty simple after that.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My dad and I haven't made it to Bridge yet, although we've talked about it.

We play Gin Rummy (or some bastardized version) and Cribbage every Sunday from the afternoon into the night.

Geesie

Practically Family
I do want to learn to play but there aren't a lot of people who do and certainly not a lot of beginners.

I have heard that it used to be the "officers' game" because of the strategic content.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently found out my local library offers free bridge lessons as well as a bridge club. I'm wondering, if any of you are interested in bridge, you might check out your local library or community centers for bridge clubs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart