Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone seen this coat? (Watchmen content)

Edward

Bartender
I have fallen in love with the knee-length trench coat that the Rorschach character wears in the Watchmen film. Curious as to whether anyone knows of a source for something the same? It runs knee length (echoing the original artwork - I've always presumed this to be a Bogart influence / reference), and appears to be made of wax cotton, with regular set-in (not raglan) sleeves.

Unfortunately, not any great images online - B&W shot:

rorschach_l.jpg

Colour image:

watchmen-the-film-companion-630-75.jpg

volatile

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I have fallen in love with the knee-length trench coat that the Rorschach character wears in the Watchmen film. Curious as to whether anyone knows of a source for something the same? It runs knee length (echoing the original artwork - I've always presumed this to be a Bogart influence / reference), and appears to be made of wax cotton, with regular set-in (not raglan) sleeves.

rorschach_l.jpg

Colour image:

watchmen-the-film-companion-630-75.jpg

...and I love his hat. :)

Edward

Bartender
Me too.... I'm not normally much of a one forf a stingy brim, but that works.... I'm hoping this Dobbs can be bashed into something similar when it arrives:

!BNs14RgBGk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLm(TDiBJq+hQVkr!~~_1.JPG

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
Magnoli has a duplicate of this jacket in his coming soon section. I ordered mine yesterday. By the time it gets here, i wont need it for a while here in Texas but can wear it in the rain I guess. And I will have it for next winter! I also had Art make the hat. Very nice. May post pics this evening.
mc-cs-rorchach-mini.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Alucard73 said:
Magnoli has a duplicate of this jacket in his coming soon section. I ordered mine yesterday. By the time it gets here, i wont need it for a while here in Texas but can wear it in the rain I guess. And I will have it for next winter! I also had Art make the hat. Very nice. May post pics this evening.
mc-cs-rorchach-mini.jpg

Cool, look forward to seeing that. Is it [Edit: i.e. the coat] in wax cotton too? (I'll have to look at the site). :) [now seen the site - it is! Definitely worth looking into, as it looks like a very pratical option for those days when the Burberry just isn't enough for rain protection!]

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Edward said:

rorschach_l.jpg

It might not be that classic as far as coloring goes, but I think I'd actually prefer this non-existant "black" version of the jacket - The charocal texture from the wax coat gives it a really nice character in my opinion.

Edward

Bartender
Ah, for the days of the strong pound against the dollar.... :( I'll be in touch about that, though, Indy, just as soon as Mr eBay and my flat have a little dealings between them.

Regarding the hat I posted above...

As it arrived from eBay (repeat picture for ease of reference):

!BNs14RgBGk~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLm(TDiBJq+hQVkr!~~_1.JPG

Following steaming out of the crown and then about half an hour's careful reshaping:

Uploaded26308009.jpg
Uploaded26308010.jpg

Not as tall as Rorschach's - I suspect his is maybe an inch higher in the crown - or perhaps that's an illusion created by the lack of taper on his?

Uploaded26308012.jpg
Uploaded26308003.jpg

Probably the closest I'll get, though, without buying into a new Federation or similar and cutting down the brim.... and i think, until the right hat falls into my lap at the perfect price (not least given that in generaly I prefer a wider brim for regular wear), this one will serve my purposes nicely. Other than the taper, possibly being a tiny bit lower, and the doubled-ovder stitched edge (R's looks like a raw edge to me), it's pretty close.... :)

Has anyone seen this coat?

Q: Has anyone seen this coat?

Mom: "Do remember where you last left it?"

It's interesting how the costumers come up with stuff.

I really wish they could have a web site where those that worked on the costuming could list:
what they got from regular supply,
what they got then just made alterations to,
and what they simply made from scratch
when it come to clothes in movies.

Edward

Bartender
Heh heh, yeah.... in the Rocky Horror community we've been wishing for something like that for years! Closest I've ever seen is this:

http://www.filmjackets.com/

Limited to jackets, and not always especially complete, but can be a useful starting place sometimes. At least a reasonable source of photos...

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
I am still excited about receiving this coat from Magnoli. But I am starting to lose hope after having placed the order in early March. Six weeks has never felt so long. I feel a little like Gilligan on his three hour tour. I really need it by the end of this month.

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
Here is the Rorschach Jacket Indy made for me in Dark Brown. Looks a little lighter outside.
DSC02958.jpg
DSC02952.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
Edward said:
Is it [Edit: i.e. the coat] in wax cotton too? - it is! ...Definitely worth looking into, as it looks like a very practical option for those days when the Burberry just isn't enough for rain protection!]

Barbour used to make a waxed-cotton trenchcoat - I don't know if they do so any more, but they are often available on eBay UK.
The best traditional British coat for rain protection when a Burberry trench isn't waterproof enough is the double-texture riding mac: there are postings on it from nightandthecity, and a recent thread started by Prof.Branestawm. But new ones areappallingly expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav