Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone tried colored contacts?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone tried colored contacts? Esp. if you don't wear contacts to correct your vision?
I don't wear them, but think it would be fun. Just don't know if I could stand putting them in!
Nikki

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I went through a phase of wearing purple contacts last year. I usually wear glasses to correct my vision, but these were purely cosmetic. Took me awhile to get the hang of putting them in - everyone I spoke to had developed a different method so keep trying until you find the most comfortable way! (I liked to flick mine into my eye, which probably wasn't very good for my eye or the lens :eek: ) Other than that I had fun wearing them, especially since it was such an unusual eye colour and people were generally quite startled when they noticed. I will warn you though, that at first you'll feel like you have something in your eye (perhaps because you do! lol ) but it is something you get used to.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I've worn them before, but corrective ones. It really depends on what you're looking for - if you want something more subtle, or something startling. If you have pale eyes, you can get a nice, subtle, almost natural looking color (I've used violet and green before, both lovely). If you have dark eyes, the color will have to be much more vibrant to work.

I thought getting used to putting them in was very easy. That said, I loathe contacts. I find them incredibly uncomfortable and the only time I'll wear them is if I'm playing a roller derby bout or want to wear fake eyelashes.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I'd really love to try coloured contacts but I'd have to get over my general contact phobia first. I started wearing glasses almost two years ago, and as much as I don't mind them in the day I would like to go out for the evening without them and be able to change my eye colour on a whim. But all that "feel something in your eye stuff" squicks me out something chronic.

ewwww

The Shirt

Practically Family
Let me first start by saying I am an incredible weenie when it comes to eyes, eyeballs, etc. I cry at the very sight of a visene commercial.

However - I did want to try colored contacts and successfully wore them for a year or so until I accidentally left one side of the case open and it dried up. I thought about walking around with one green and one brown eye - but looked pretty freaky. Anywho- the thing I noticed when trying all the colors on was that if the outside ring of your eye (notice my technical terminology here) is black or dark brown - I ended up looking like an alien when I tried on a pair with say a blue ring at the outermost edge.

I also wore them around to smokey bars mainly for cosmetic reasons rather than corrective. So I did not wear them with much consistency. Thus when I did - my eyes would be terribly dry and irritated by the end of the night. Now that smoking is outlawed in my state indoors - I am thinking about trying them again.

Good luck - they are a very fun way to change your appearance.

TessTrueheart

I wear corrective lenses sometimes, when I'm bored of my glasses. I tried coloured contacs but they were quite uncomfortable compared to my corrective ones. Get a THIN pair!

ginny

Familiar Face
If you have dark eyes, make sure you get the high-tech colored ones, they have a blend of 3 colors and a slightly darker outer ring, and look MUCH more natural than any of the other colored ones for dark eyes. Don't be fooled by those "speckled", one-color, types: they are not as good as the the three-color ones.
Now that I have eye insurance again, I may splurge for a pair of the colored ones. I tried a pair of the three-color type a couple years ago, and really liked how they looked.
I've worn gas perms ("hard") lenses since age 14 (over 20 years). I must have tough eyes: I can literally sleep in them, not take them out for weeks (well, once in a while for a quick rinse), and I have no problems whatsoever. The soft ones are much easier to get used to: that "something in my eye" feeling goes away in a couple, three days (for me anyway, it did), and is much less noticeable than with gas perms.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I'd love to try them just for fun, but I think they would be too much of a bother! A girl in my workout class wears them, and they look absolutely GORGEOUS on her. She's a really dark African-American, and her contacts are a light, yellowish-brown. Absolutely stunning!

I'm pretty happy with my natural eye color as it is, though. They're olive green, with an orange freckle in one of my eyes. If I want to make them look brighter, I wear something bright green -- my eyes will match the color. Purple and red eyeshadows help, too!

Snookie

Practically Family
I've worn several types of colored lenses over the years - for corrective purposes, but I wanted to have fun with it!

I found that the "tinted" ones are FAR more comfortable than the ones that completely change your eye color. The complete color change ones actually obscured my vision slightly, as they shifted slightly every time I blinked, and it took a second until I see out the hole again. Also, they were much more dry than tinted lenses(although that could have been the brand, and this was several years ago). But neither of these problems would stop me from wearing them occasionally.

Until recently, I wore green tinted contacts daily, and daily received stunned complements on them. Especially from grocery store clerks. They made my eyes extremely bright, I guess! I had to switch brands recently, though, to one that allows more oxygen to reach my eyes. :(

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I knew there was something I wanted to do today after work, but couldnt remember. I was going to go to the indoor mall and buy some colored contacts!! Wanted to see if anyone I work with would notice the difference.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Three weeks

goldwyn girl said:
I have green, blue and violet corrective lenses. I don't wear them a much as I should. I just don't really like the way they feel. Perhaps I would get used to them if I wore them more.

is how long it took me to get used to the feeling, then I didn't notice it anymore.

I would like the colored ones but hubby likes my no-particular-color of eyes a lot, so I will leave well enough alone. Sometimes they are gray, sometimes, green, sometimes blue, so what the heck, I already have changeable eye color!

Mojito

One Too Many
I love my contact lenses - I've worn them since the days when I could only have "permanents" (they didn't make disposables then for astigmatisms), and I had to boil them every night in a special unit to steralise them.

When I first got them, it was recommended I wear tinted lenses in order to make them easier to see when I was handling them. I wanted green to match my eyes, but my optomotrist said it would make my eyes too startling and "catlike" - so he gave me a pale blue tint that, unfortunately, only dulled my natural eye colour. Years later I did get a green tint to match my eyes - one day I was picnicing outdoors with my boyfriend and he, gazing into my eyes, suddenly announced that I shouldn't wear green contacts as it made my eyes look artificial! I told him indignantly that it was my natural eye colour, and the only reason they looked startlingly green was because he was seeing them up close in full sunlight. The next day, after I'd put one in, I challenged him to tell the difference between which eye had them and which didn't. He couldn't tell.

Now I just wear untinted clear lenses, bi-weekly disposables. I had to try a few types to see which disposables were most comfortable (for some reason the more gas-permeable 24 hour lenses didn't work for me). My optomotrist has been very accommodating in allowing me to try different types of lenses free of charge - he's given me a few samples to test out the couple of times I've gone to have my eye health and prescription checked.

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
I tried wearing some them when I was younger, a friend got me lavender and blue ones from the office she worked at, though for me they blurred my vision, I could actually see the color on the contact lense when I wore them, and they muddied up my own eye color (green/yellow). then again it could be due to them being trial pairs and did not fit properly on the eye.

it would be nice to try them out again, as soon as I get some vision insurance :)

I have been wearing blue contacts for about 2yrs now. I have worn regular contacts for over 20 years. I have astigmatism so I don't get as many shades to choose from. There is only one shade of blue, green, and brown. I would prefer my blue to be a tad brighter but it still works well over my hazel green eyes. I do find them a tad less comfortable then clear lenses but not enough to stop wearing them. My husband got a pair of non-prescriptive Halloween lenses last year. He had me put them in for him, which was no easy task at first because he couldn't stop blinking. After a while he got more used to the feel of what was coming.

Inky

One Too Many
My hubby has very dark brown eyes and sometimes wears sapphire blue contacts. It looks a little bit creepy at first, but then I get used to it. He loves them for a change of pace (i swear he can be more high maintenance than I am!)

anabolina

A-List Customer
I've not tried colored lenses even though I've thought about it, but I'm cheap and like my natural color well enough not to want to buy even more contact lenses to change the color, although green might be nice... I do use corrective lenses and it was very difficult to use them. I think the first 2 weeks I was using them, it took anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to put them in. It's just kinda hard to get used to getting your fingers near your eyes and feeling something on your eye. After I couple of weeks though, it got easier, and after a few months, I was an old hat at it. So just don't get discouraged and keep at it. My parents have both recently started using contacts recently and it was difficult for them as well, so the breaking in period is normal and you'll get used to it. I'm sure you'll love them. I have a friend who weats them at least a couple times a weeks and she coordinates her whole outfit and makeup to the lenses. It's a really beautiful effect.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I need new glasses and I was thinking about getting new contacts as well.

They do make corrective colored contacts, right?

I've never worn contacts but I'm not especially eye-shy so I figure it should be all right.

I naturally have green eyes (not a bright or light green, though, unfortunately) and golden-brown hair. Well, my guy is encouraging me to dye my hair either red or black, and now I'm pondering changing my eyes as well. I'm just never satisfied! lol

I haven't decided what color I even want.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
My husband used blue colored contacts before he got lasik surgery. The color was nice, but I swear it looked like his eyes were a bit weird.. like permanently dilated or not dilated..something about it was not right. LOL
but the color was very nice.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt