Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ANZAC Day - 25th April

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Today is a solemn day for all New Zealanders and Australians, it is the anniversary of the Gallipoli landings and is the day we remember all of our war dead.

“They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.”

poppy2.gif

zaika

One Too Many
my aussie friend was just telling me about this today at work.

it's sad that we (read: i) don't hear more about the sacrifices the ANZAC made during those global wars...

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whilst in Turkey I visited the Gallipoli museum. Wonderful. On the walls were photographs of a reunion of Turkish and Australian soldiers which occurred at some point in the last 20 years. They were very old men, shaking hands and smiling. The tour guide, one Nursel Demirdelen, sang Waltzing Matilda. It was quite moving and emotional even for a bunch of Americans!

Mojito

One Too Many
The ANZACs made a contribution to WWI far out of proportion to their actual numbers - I was running through the stats on them the other day, and the portion of the line they held and the territory they captured is very significant. Both my paternal grandfather and maternal great grandfather fought in the war - the former enlisted early and fought from Gallipolli through to the Western Front. I suspect one reason he survived is he was wounded quite a few times (a slightly reckless Irishman with a good dose of Australian larrikinism) - first time was at Gallipolli.

He was actually in London recovering yet again when the Armistace was signed - his last memory for several days was the bells ringing. Then he went on a massive bender, and the next thing he fully remembered was waking on the couch in the front room of a house belonging to a kindly constable who had taken him in (he retained a great affection for the British ever afterwards).

Doran, the Americans were sent in with the ANZACs when they first entered WWI...my grandfather had affectionate memories of the Americans he fought with.

It was once thought that the tradition of ANZAC services and marches would pass away with the last of the diggers - but it is stronger than ever here and in NZ.

There was an additional service yesterday at St Andrew's Cathedral in Sydney that was of great significance - a memorial for HMAS Sydney, now that it has finally been found. My boss was one of those invited to attend, and she said it was very moving - there were a great, great many people there who had waited sixty years for her to be found.

dr greg

One Too Many
A date to remember

It's also worth noting that the 25th April was the morning the Anzacs retook the village of Villers-Bretonneux and blunted a major German offensive in 1918, we should celebrate that victory a bit more I think, especially since it's 90 years ago today. I made it to the local parade and service today ( not the dawn one though) as I usually do, but passed on the booze-up and two-up.
I think that should really be left to the men who actually did the fighting.
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-memorials/vill-bret-memorial.htm

RIOT

Practically Family
2008 marks the first year ANZAC day is celebrated without any World War I diggers as they have all passed away.

En Memorum! Glad to have you fighting beside us! ~ Lest we forget

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Andrew. I have my NZ flag flying right now but I really missed not being able to attend a dawn parade here.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
ANZAC Day

Just reading on the history after seeing part of the parade on the television.

Amazing! That men not once nor twice. Charged forward the way they did with the loses.

There was a story of a young girl being fond that she found her great-great- uncle's name. His story? he was buryed alive when a 42 mortar went off near him. It rained earth.

Mojito

One Too Many

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks DB, it's never too late to raise a glass.

And Mojito, thanks for the links, it's great to hear that a Kiwi digger now stands with an Aussie one. We might give each other a bit of ribbing sometimes but I can't think of another two nations more closely linked or which underneath it all share such "mateship" ;)

Edward

Bartender
I must dig out my Pogues albums tonight - if I can find the right one, I'll put on "And the band played Waltzing Matilda."

Windsock

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I must dig out my Pogues albums tonight - if I can find the right one, I'll put on "And the band played Waltzing Matilda."

That's a great song, never fails to give me chills.

It's also good that the original Waltzing Matilda has gradually become our proxy National Anthem at major events, despite the lyrics not having any specific national reference. It's so much more evocative than that stupid official one no-one over 6yrs old knows the words to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany