Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appaloosa (2008)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Now, altthough westerns haven't enjoyed great success in theaters once in a while some good ones pop up. Appaloosa may be one of these. It has a great cast to support the story. Might not be Oscar material, but I think it will entertain.

This one has a trailer link in it.
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809942136/info

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0800308/

I've been a sucker for westerns anyway, so I know I'll enjoy it. What is your impression?

Cheers!

Dan

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
The trailer looks great, the book was also very good. I'm excited about seeing this one, too.
Westerns aren't dead, whenever a GOOD one comes out people really embrace them. Lets hope this is one of those!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
So far the book has been pretty good. The dialogue in the trailer matches the book to be sure. Even the inflections that you read into it are played out in the trailer. I think this one may pan out to be a good western.

Cheers!

Dan

Custom79

One of the Regulars
It's Ed Harris and Robert B. Parker...

Ed Harris is leading a cast of pros through the first installment of Robert B. Parker's western trilogy. What could be better?

Mr. Parker is the master behind the Spenser and Jesse Stone novels. These have been brought to life on the small screen by Robert Urich and Tom Selleck respectively.

I am confident that this will make my list of the best westerns.

Cheers.

C79

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
I am REALLY looking forward to this movie. Ed Harris also starred in another of my favorite Westerns, "Riders of the Purple Sage" on TNT. Sadly, it has never been released to DVD. :(

As an aside, take a look at Ed Harris' hat in the Appaloosa trailer.....THAT is a great looking hat!!:D :eek:

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I'm a huge fan of the Robert Parker novel “Appaloosa,”
so this film can’t get here soon enough!

df-10373cmd.jpg

df-17928fmd.jpg

df-04108fmd.jpg

df-05840cmd1.jpg

df-10290fmd.jpg

df-09432fmd.jpg

df-08459fmd.jpg

Doh!

One Too Many
I'll see it -- great cast, plus I love a good western. I just finished watching the first season of Deadwood so I'm primed for some more horse opera.

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Authenticity

I'm given to understand that, in planning ahead for the filming of this movie, Mr. Harris had a custom gun rig made for him by Will Ghormley.

Mr. Harris wanted to have the rig handy to practice in order to make his gun draw as real as possible on film.

I can't wait to see how it comes up in the movie.

Happy trails.

C79

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Sounds pretty cool C79. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. :)

Finished the book recently. I'd say it does end abruptly, but I think that is what it needed. You have the buildup, the quick confrontation and then the end. It is moreso about the way people deal with given situations and other people, especially amongst men. Men will get this one were I think some women won't, just because the dialog is very abrupt like most men's conversations. The action was in all the right places and with the correct pace that moves the story forward. If Ed Harris has translated this story directly without being super wordy and complicated it should do very well. I think it will be well worth the admission price.

Cheers!

Dan

Feraud

Bartender
I caught this trailer on television last night and think it looks really good.
The first thing I thought was it's Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen working together again after A History of Violence.

dr greg

One Too Many
shoot 'em up

I like a good western, although they've been thin on the ground recently,
3-10 to Yuma didn't cut it for me either.
I recently picked up the remastered Once Upon A Time in the West, fantastic stuff, and I finally found out after all these years why spaghetti westerns always sound like they're eating some, they were all post-synched, incredible to think about eh?
Apparently Cinecitta sits under a flight path so they never do any live sound...amazing.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
It does look like it could be a pretty good flick. I'm not crazy about westerns but they can make for a good story. Besides, it was filmed not too far from here (Santa Fe and probably Las Vegas). How can I miss it.

Mark

vintage68

Practically Family
I was very excited to see this movie today. Unfortunately it opened only in limited release in New York and LA.:rage:

The reviews on the film are very positive, which is heartening. I'm a HUGE fan of R.B. Parker, having read all his stuff, and enjoy westerns as well. So when I heard that a respected filmmaker and actor like Harris was directing and starring I knew it would be good.

Now I read it's supposed to open in wide release on Oct. 3rd. Two more weeks to wait... *sigh*

vintage68

Practically Family
DanielJones said:
Sounds pretty cool C79. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. :)

Finished the book recently. I'd say it does end abruptly, but I think that is what it needed.

Dan

You do realize that Appaloosa is the first book in a trilogy? The second book, Resolution, came out a couple months ago. The third installment, named Brimstone, comes out next spring.

Custom79

One of the Regulars
Translating the story...

Daniel Jones.

I agree with you in hoping that Harris has successfully translated the feel of story to the big screen.

From what I understand, Mr. Parker is pretty picky who he will let play around with his work. I believe I read that he was quite impressed with Ed Harris wanting to work on Appaloosa.

Regards.

C79

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Go VIGGO Go

Of all the actor stills I've seen for Appalloosa
Mortensen really looks authentic :eusa_clap
costume/body type/period facial hair.

Solid Citizen ;)

PS Hope its closer in quality to Tombstone
& NOT 3:10 to Yuma :(

Forum statistics