Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apparently, straw hats don't have snap brims

Chinaski

One Too Many
By the way, if any of you haven't seen them there are some great panama threads in the archives. If my name was Lefty or Buler or rlk, I'd have the links handy for you:)

Yes, but I am calculating that more money per hat will call new people into the profession. They all need jobs down there, except that weaving hats is extremely tedious work, executable only by women, apparently. But if enough money were in it, I would think some of the people who ordinarily hate tedious work might start to get interested in it. I am sure this will be true. Higher prices will be part of the equation though.

Dan, from what I've read in panama posts and links, the absolute finest weavers are men. Googling will produce some very interesting videos and narratives. Panama hat lore and the making of the hats is really fascinating stuff.

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Most of the Cuenca made Panama's are bleached white while the Montecristi's are not bleached. You might try asking Robert to pick two of different shades if possible, but generally they tend to be this way. As you go up in grades of Panama's you have more choice in the shading as they are better woven and the higher grades use better straw. But I now have 8 Panama's, 3 Cuencas and 5 Monticristi and don't mind the similarity of color. If you want difference, get one of the dyed hats or stick to felt. A Panama is generally thought of as a white hat with a black hatband. :)

I think (from my really vague interpretation of Panama Bob's replies) that my teardrop panama is the natural colouration. Does anyone else have a Teardrop from the sale, and do you have a picture of what it looks like? I'm pretty sure the colour of the picture tied to the sale isn't wholly accurate.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I think (from my really vague interpretation of Panama Bob's replies) that my teardrop panama is the natural colouration. Does anyone else have a Teardrop from the sale, and do you have a picture of what it looks like? I'm pretty sure the colour of the picture tied to the sale isn't wholly accurate.

If you are ordering a "sale hat" that Bob is selling, it will be bleached white with a black band. If you have one already from Bob, it will probably be similar in color and band. If you want "different" color in your new hat, order a Quarto-Fino Montecristi in a Teardrop crown and you can specify the band color and your hat will be a "different" color. But you will not pay $9.99 for it:) Cuenca Panama hats are usually bleached white w/black bands :) That's the style and tradition :)

T Rick

Practically Family
If you are ordering a "sale hat" that Bob is selling, it will be bleached white with a black band. If you have one already from Bob, it will probably be similar in color and band. If you want "different" color in your new hat, order a Quarto-Fino Montecristi in a Teardrop crown and you can specify the band color and your hat will be a "different" color. But you will not pay $9.99 for it:) Cuenca Panama hats are usually bleached white w/black bands :) That's the style and tradition :)
Actually, that is not the case currently (AFAIK). I have two teardrops, both natural (not white) that I beleive are the sale hats (one with black ribbon, one with brown).

If you go to the sale hats, choices of natural or white are listed for some models. Bob actually did really well by me after realizing the sizes/models I'd ordered were out of stock. He upgraded the white one (several levels I think) and substituted two in teardrop for the one tan I'd ordered of a different style (all was offered via email and naturally accepted by me prior to shipping, he didn't just throw whatever he wanted in the box, made a very generous offer which I very gratefully accepted). Great Customer Service IMO, Bob is a pleasure to deal with.

Engrishman

Familiar Face
If you are ordering a "sale hat" that Bob is selling, it will be bleached white with a black band.
Actually, that is not the case currently (AFAIK). I have two teardrops, both natural (not white) that I beleive are the sale hats (one with black ribbon, one with brown).

....yeah, this sort of conflictingly vague information confused the daylights out of me, haha. It's like Bob telling me teardrop came in various colours in an email, only to say the teardrop came in natural colour as is in another email. That being said, he was nice enough to give me the specific band colour I wanted, though I'm still confused as to whether I'll be getting a natural or white teardrop. It's not like I can choose the shade the hat is coming in on the dropdown menus.

TRick, out of curiousity, what exactly did you order that was out of stock? A Havana model?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
....yeah, this sort of conflictingly vague information confused the daylights out of me, haha. It's like Bob telling me teardrop came in various colours in an email, only to say the teardrop came in natural colour as is in another email. That being said, he was nice enough to give me the specific band colour I wanted, though I'm still confused as to whether I'll be getting a natural or white teardrop. It's not like I can choose the shade the hat is coming in on the dropdown menus.

TRick, out of curiousity, what exactly did you order that was out of stock? A Havana model?

Here is the sale Cuenca I just got from Bob. It was listed as natural/white , look at it and you tell me what color it is :

1-30-11009.jpg

It is what Bob refers to as a Cabelero style of crease and is the 4th one I have in this style. I like it obviously. As for Brent Black's hats, they are exquisate things, predominately Monticristi's and START in the $300.00 - $500.00 range. I have seen two of them and they are some VERY NICE examples of the weavers art for sure. If you have DEEP pockets go for one of his :)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab

Please, just ask me what you'd like me to answer. I have several models/colors on the teardrops. I'm not trying to deceive on the photo. If you have a brown band coming, the hat is natural. I get 30-40-50 emails a day asking questions and I have a full time job. If I was asking $80.00 for the hats, I'd quit the full time job. :)

T Rick

Practically Family
Here is the sale Cuenca I just got from Bob. It was listed as natural/white , look at it and you tell me what color it is :

1-30-11009.jpg

It is what Bob refers to as a Cabelero style of crease and is the 4th one I have in this style. I like it obviously. As for Brent Black's hats, they are exquisate things, predominately Monticristi's and START in the $300.00 - $500.00 range. I have seen two of them and they are some VERY NICE examples of the weavers art for sure. If you have DEEP pockets go for one of his :)

That one is white (as is my upgraded Cuencano), but I have two (teardrops to the best of my knowledge, these were substituted for Cuencanos, as he was out of size 57 in Cuencano sale hats- though perhaps they too are Cabelleros?) that are most certainly not white (and are as listed on Bob's site, natural). I'll get some pics up here tomorrow to help ease confusion.

I did just notice part of the source of confusion. Not all colors are listed under all styles. This is likely either due to them being sold out in some colors, or not offered in some colors. I'm sure Bob can clarify that for whoever is making/considering a purchase. For this thread, simply check the drop down menu of the Cuencano. It does show an option of natural or white in certain sizes.

Last edited:

Engrishman

Familiar Face
Please, just ask me what you'd like me to answer. I have several models/colors on the teardrops. I'm not trying to deceive on the photo. If you have a brown band coming, the hat is natural. I get 30-40-50 emails a day asking questions and I have a full time job. If I was asking $80.00 for the hats, I'd quit the full time job. :)

Oh, that makes more sense. So the short of it is:

Teardrop Style+ Brown Band == Natural Colouration
Teardrop Style+ Black Band == White or Natural Colouration

The reason I decided to take my queries to the forums was because I completely recognized how busy you were, and felt bad bombarding you with question after question for clarification, haha. So I thought getting a second opinion from the forum gents would be an easier way of it. But yeah, I'm perfectly satisfied with my current order, and may end up ordering a second hat from you, after my first one arrives.

(I'll probably fire a PM at you, at some point.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails