Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apple iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingolittle

New in Town
i work for cingular...even from our 'underground' sources, we had no idea this was coming....there will be a significant price reduction in exchange for a contract, from what we can tell, initially, there will not be any unlocked phones....after the first year, anything goes...gsm only though....it is an all inclusive device without having to buy extra memory cards, or the software to run video players, and itunes is already in place...it will be, by far the most advanced device that we carry....it is a shame that nokia has dropped the ball in developing a gsm handset for north america, (they have european models), we need 850/1900 handsets, motorola is stuck on the razr theme....2yrs old now, an eternity in the life of a cell phone...samsung is moving forward, but does not have the clout that nokia and motorola have...lg the same...we had a great siemans pda, but was too difficult to use...apple may be the answer...

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

scotrace said:
Well, not to be combative, but there isn't anything on the market that "does all that." This is the very first of its kind. An entirely new invention.

Better watch that product intro vid. :)

Technically correct. My PDA doesn't do video....but it does all the rest. I will say Apple has made the screens and dialog boxes look real slick. They are good at that.

I am glad they have gotten on board with the PDA in a big way. Most companies are so focused on creating the smallest phone possible....except it has to have a camera.:rolleyes:

Perhaps the kiddies will embrace PDAs now. That will help the PDA market....which helps me. I love them.

You just like it because it has an "i" in front of it.:p

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Changes everything?

Naaaaaahhhh.

It's just another shiny new toy. It has a screen, it plays music, it connects to the Internet.

There will be a new one next week, or next month.

I just want more PDA/Phone options that use the Palm system, as I'm not fond of the Windows systems on these units.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

This will have a huge impact, but I will wait until they up the memory, which I am sure they will do with the second generation.

I am curious as to how you will get your service through it. I suppose I will investigate it.

I have seen how you navigate through it and that may have more of an impact than the actual device. The navigational system is driven by the movement of your hand and is a very natural process; no stylus, no new language, just natural movements of the hand. That is exciting and will eventually extend to other objects, including laptops.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
Well, not to be combative, but there isn't anything on the market that "does all that." This is the very first of its kind. An entirely new invention.

Better watch that product intro vid. :)

Not at all! I looked into it - it's the same as the Drift (my phone), but it has a bigger screen, a touch screen interface, and 4 or 8 gigs of space for mp3s. Neat! But not worth the money to me.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Of course Apple just announced it yesterday, and are already being sued as of today. Apparently Cisco owns the name iPhone, and has since '99. The Cisco Linksys iPhone is a VOIP phone. According to news sources, Apple had been negotiating with Cisco for the name, then just went ahead and announced it with no agreement.

I'm sure Apple will still release it, but they may not be able to call it an iPhone.

It is cool, though. It looks like the kind of all-in-one device that will actually take hold. The only catch is that GSM coverage in the U.S. is still a little spotty.

-Jake

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Went to Macworld today actually.

They have two iPhones in high glass cases rotating while running video at wither end of the presentation area. It was so funny seeing the folks, they looked like moths to the flame lol

AND were taking pics of the phone WITH their phone. It was a hoot. Im not all impressed tho. ONLY a 6GB HD, thats not an iPod!

Im not a big phone fan but Im sure this will fly like crazy once its released. Id be worried about data rate charges...We will have to see what rate plans Cingular will come up with with this one. Im sure they are just doing cartwheels over how much they will be able to charge :rolleyes:

LD

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'll say that Apple is smart in their marketing. It's truly 5 years ahead of it's time. Over and over again Apple is the innovator. Mouse, WYSWYG, All in one phone.

Movies, music, web access, big screen and the ability to connect to a big screen and watch your movies and television shows.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How long 'til they make one that can 'beam me up Scotty'? lol

I'd love to go to one of those groovy QM events, but I live too far away. By the look of this way out gadget, it can't be too long before Apple will able to beam me over there instantly.

Or maybe not . . . :(

bingolittle

New in Town
Im not a big phone fan but Im sure this will fly like crazy once its released. Id be worried about data rate charges...We will have to see what rate plans Cingular will come up with with this one. Im sure they are just doing cartwheels over how much they will be able to charge

...if it would be considered a smart phone the unlimited data plan could be as low as 19.99.....seeing that it should have full access, 39.99 would get unlimited access as a pda....we are seeing data plans get less and less expensive....gsm coverage is much better also, covering 200+ million in the u.s. .....290 antennas were added in mississippi alone last year...

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lena_Horne said:
Bah, I says!:D Give me rotary, or give me death!

Lena, I'm with you!:eusa_clap

I guess I'm just an old fuddy duddy.lol

I don't understand the need to have a device that does all these things. I have no interest in watching movies or the Internet on an itty bitty screen, or listening to music, or e-mailing or text messaging. I see no point in it. When I went to get a cell phone a couple of years ago, I couldn't find one that was just a dadgum phone.

Brad

bingolittle

New in Town
when analog was the only thing available, we only conceptualized what could be done with digital and then gsm...text messaging was a way for tower engineers to send back short packages of data from the antennas....more uses than just voice was realized in the system and then developed...gsm has only been used nationwide for less than 3 years, incredible steps have been made to develop more uses.....i tell my clients to not expect to be able to use their phones more than 80% of the time....gaps in coverage are inevitable...and lots of disturbances happen and call quality suffers...you would not believe how fragile a cell system is..certain types of clouds, building materials, how many users at one time, too much to go on about...we had an endangered bird to build a nest on an antenna on the gulf coast that cut of service for the most part of biloxi..the bird could not be disturbed at all, so we had to wait until it and the hatchlings to leave before service could be restored...the itune phone will be a fresh breeze and will kick start some of the older companies...it will also create competition..

matei

One Too Many
Is this thing actually necessary? No... but it sure looks like fun!

I've tried the phones that have mp3 players built in - and I wasn't blown away. I tried using a variety of pdas that have phones/mp3 players built in - ditto.

I would gladly pick one up were they on sale now. I dislike carrying things in my pockets, and I if I can combine three gadgets into one, so much better.

I'm also an Apple user, so chances are it will play nice with my existing setup. This was one of my biggest gripes back when I was a Palm, then Windows CE, then Windows Mobile user (I was also a Windows/Linux user then). There was always something that didn't quite work right, or wasn't supported. This isn't a swipe at Windows, but rather something that is bound to happen when you deal different platforms.

Regarding watching video on one of these gadgets... I was initially against video iPods when they appeared, but now having purchased one, I'm quite happy with it.

Yes, the screen is tiny. It won't replace viewing a dvd on a laptop or telly anytime soon. But it does make for a pleasant break from print or listening to music.

Do I use this feature daily? No. Mostly when I have some boring project running I'll resort to watching a film. This is usually after I've read my book or tired of it.

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
And they're planning on exploring the possibilities of other products together. iRouter anyone?

The price of the phone is supposedly going to be about $100 cheaper than what they originally stated. $350 for the small one with a $60/month contract for your phone and data service.

I can't wait to have Google maps at my fingertips. It's handy when you're a journalist driving across town to find a story.

MaximOfSurrey

Familiar Face
Lena_Horne said:
Bah, I says!:D Give me rotary, or give me death!

L_H

Sort of like this?

Okay, so it turned out crappier than I thought it would. But the basic idea is to have some sort of touch screen at the bottom so that you can turn the number wheel with your finger. Yes, I actually spent time drawing this. Yes, I know I suck and that I don't have a life.

ArtDecoPhone.jpg

vintage68

Practically Family
+1 here. I'm a Mac Addict and had heard rumors about the phone for months. As an Apple user, getting the iPhone is the logical next step since it will connect all my desktop apps like Address Book, iTunes, etc into one mobile device. NOBODY knows design like Apple and Steve Jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred